Fitting AUX in 180 CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A-Class 180 CDI
Fitting AUX in 180 CDI

Hello,
I got A-Class 180 CDI (2005.), and I failed to find any aux ports in my car (I haven't been removing anything, just stuff I was able to see with bare eyes). I've been told (based on image of my radio) that I cannot fit one easily (with cheapish aux cable) and that I'd price would be equal to the price of a entire new radio unit. Could you please confirm or deny this, and maybe point me to specific cable I need to get for my car?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you have a telephone console in the armrest?
If not, then the TEL button might be used to activate AUX function, doesn't have to be CDC.

The radio unit is Audio 50 APS (NTG2), unless I'm mistaken. If you have your datacard printout, it'll be option 525

The easiest way to check for AUX capability, is to look at the pinout for this exact model (if you have the part number), or simply check the back of the unit.
I only have pinouts for Audio 20, but it should be similar (no MOST and extra Fakra, of course).

The actual 3.5mm jack auxiliary lead is pretty cheap - a few pounds here in the UK.
If the quad-lock port on your head unit is similar, then search for Audio20 AUX lead, you can also remove pins from the plug, if layout is different.

A head unit replacement might not be such a bad idea - I know I'm happy with mine ...

PS Just in case we're missing the obvious - have you checked the glovebox - above the thumbwheel for a/c?
That's were the factory fitted AUX port would be.

As you can see, your radio is listed as one of the compatible units for AUX retrofit, you just have to check to make sure.

Last edited by Chode McBlob; 04-16-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:29 PM

A-Class 180 CDI
Thanks, I really appreciate your help. Static from FM transmitter is killing me, hopefully I'll find way to add AUX. I'm quite layman about this stuff, but I'll give it my best.
I don't have telephone in my armrest (it's quite small anyway, just one narrow drawer and tiny space on top) so I don't even see possibility of fitting one there anyway. As you say, my head unit does support telephone tho, and when I click it I'm shown "Telephone not available" message.
I'm failing to understand what "datacard printout" you are referring to. I've got some papers from original owner, but option number 525 is nowhere to be found. There is MB book called "Operating Manual" (as translated from German by google) which classifies my audio as Audio 50 APS. Insde there are pictures for my head unit, with code "P82.61-3496-31DE (and some more, but all have P82.61 prefix), maybe this is helpful. If you could point me to where to find pinouts for my model, it would be great.
Yes, I've been checking glovebox, but I found nothing useful. There is definitely no this X39/45 part. There is this wheel thingy below, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't lead to aux, at least by itself. I have (by default) CD case inside, so it's obstructing my view fully, but I tried to feel if there is something behind, couldn't find it. If there is easy way to remove this cd case, I'd be very inclined to perform it. Here is the picture of it, maybe you spot something useful, or at least point on on where to look.
The following users liked this post:
Chode McBlob (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Right, lets do it step-by-step:

No telephone console in the armrest (it would have been there, instead of the drawer), means the TEL button could, in theory, activate the AUX input. That's a good point.

Datacard is basically a build sheet - it lists all the details about your car, including all options and packages specified when the car was ordered (whether included as free, or charged extra for).
There are a few places online you can get it - I haven't check for a while, as I have my own EPC/WIS, but try http://mbfans.me/EN/mercedes/vin/decoder/xxxx - don't click on this, copy and replace the last four "x" with your actual chassis number (VIN) - it would be something like WDD1693331J123456 - should work, but if not - PM me your VIN, I'll get your datacard for you.

Pinout - just search for Audio50 NTG2 pinout.
I suspect the quadlock would be very similar to Audio20, so I would just buy a £6.50 AUX cable and try it - here's one in UK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401184882111

You would need to remove the top air vents, then the bottom a/c frame, then the actual Audio 50 unit.
There are many YouTube videos on the subject - search for 'radio removal W169' or similar.

The wheel thingy in the glove box is the air conditioning control - it cools glove box in the summer time, and normally you close it for the winter
The factory AUX port, if present, would have been on top, and to the left of this a/c thumbwheel.

There's nothing behind the CD storage case, but it's pretty useless I agree. It's very easy to remove it: there are two lugs at the very edges of the front of the case - insert something like a metal ruler (or special tool, if you have) simultaneously on both sides, and push back quite hard. Here's a picture I found somewhere a while ago (I had a CD Changer in my car originally, so never had a storage unit myself).

The following users liked this post:
ajdinm (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 11:19 AM

A-Class 180 CDI
Thanks, I found electrician who will fit it for me. Mods can close this thread.