MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   A-Class (W168, W169) (https://mbworld.org/forums/class-w168-w169-30/)
-   -   W169 A Class Heater Fan Removal ? (https://mbworld.org/forums/class-w168-w169/535505-w169-class-heater-fan-removal.html)

medderss 03-23-2014 04:04 PM

W169 A Class Heater Fan Removal ?

Hi my heater fan has failed, i have located it I have unplugged it, question is how do you get it out past the steering etc ???? there must be a knack or special way but I'm struggling...... Help Please !

Tim7900 08-26-2014 02:42 PM

Heater removal

Hi can you let me know where the fan is actually located and if you managed to get the fan out ok? Think I may need a new fan too.

Many thanks

Tim

medderss 08-26-2014 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tim7900 (Post 6148384)
Hi can you let me know where the fan is actually located and if you managed to get the fan out ok? Think I may need a new fan too.

Many thanks

Tim

Its in the drivers side footwell underneath the centre , quite easy to remove but unfortunately nobody has as yet told me how to get it past the steering ??? so its still in its place !!!

Tim7900 08-26-2014 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by medderss (Post 6148411)
Its in the drivers side footwell underneath the centre , quite easy to remove but unfortunately nobody has as yet told me how to get it past the steering ??? so its still in its place !!!

Ah great thanks for that, I'll have a good look one evening to see if I can find it. I've already replaced the heater resistor which did fix the fan working for a few weeks however its no longer working and I think the flood from the pollen filter housing running through the heating system has ruined the fan heater.

Cor 01-28-2015 09:34 AM

A180 Blower motor removal

Hi there. I found your post on the removal of the blower motor of a W169. I have managed to release it but it is stuck. I see you had the same problems. Ho do one get it out? Thanks Corné

Megawatt Man 10-24-2015 10:46 PM

G'day from the Land Down Under, anybody solved this question yet?

Megawatt Man 02-02-2017 06:08 PM

G'day again from the Land Down Under. On another forum a bloke mentioned that the way to release the blower housing was to remove one securing screw, then use a screwdriver to lift a plastic locking tab and rotate the housing. Well, I can recognise the locking tab. But I'm blowed if I can find the securing screw. Any guidance please? Then the next conundrum is how to move the housing past the steering column. In my view, it is necessary to lower the steering column and there are some good youtube videos showing this process. Much care is needed to avoid danger from the steering wheel airbag, battery must be disconnected first thing. Then the position of the wheel on its splines must be marked to anable its precise repacement. Also it is necessary to digest the instructions on removing the fiddly plastic pieces without breaking them.

Having experienced a failure of the complex fan speed regulator, I am apprised by a MB service tech that a common failure mode is the partial siezing of the blower bearings, resulting in a high starting current surge that burns out the regulator. After removing said regulator, I can access the fan and discover that it is partially siexed. Mmmm.

So for now, where is the screw please?

Megawatt Man 06-23-2017 03:19 AM

Well, the reason I could not find the screw was that it had been removed during a prior iteration of the fault and never replaced. Turning the blower housing and releasing it allows the blower housing to come away from the ductwork of the ventilation system, but as has been pointed out previously, there is not sufficient room to withdraw the blower unit past the steering column. The manuals commonly available on the interweb are for LHD vehicles and of course, there's no steering column on the RHS of the vehicle, so removal of the blower assy is straightforward. Similarly, those manuals are silent on what to do about the steering column and its relocation is no small task. Thanks for any input. Megawatt Man

0sx 10-06-2018 04:43 PM

Managed to replace the fan today. Really tricky. Pulled the faulty one out and in the process cracked the fan as I had the squeeze it out. Was more careful with the new one but again had to deform the fan slightly. Steering column is in the way.
​​the problem I have now is securing the fan in place as it doesn't seem to screw tight enough to prevent vibrations.

dougiedo 09-04-2019 12:27 PM

Why is it so top secret to source the B class RHD fan blower location & removal. Look on youtube or type in even location diagram of B class RHD, oodles of LHD & loads of every Mercedes make under the sun, but B class RHD, even on this forum, so poor it's amazing. More MI6 than Mercedes Benz.

darrell@acsc.co 12-20-2019 07:26 PM

I have removed the blower by removing it in 2 pieces. Undo connections, and pass the motor power leads back inside the housing. Take off the outer housing by undoing the 3 screws holding the motor and drum blade.
Take out the housing then the motor and fan separately.
you can reverse this for installation

bigroo 10-24-2020 05:53 AM

Blower location

Originally Posted by medderss (Post 6148411)

When you say footwell, is that in the floor or in the bulkhead?

Haynes only has the W168 :/