CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Sunroof won't close......arghhhhh!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used to be a CLK430
Sunroof won't close......arghhhhh!

Well my car must have known that I was thinking of trading it in on a new CLK because now my sunroof won't close!!! It's been like this for a while, but I never open it so I don't remember how to get it closed.

The sunroof button has 4 functions: forward (towards the hood), backward (towards the trunk), up (towards the roof), and down (towards the ground)

So it opens fine by pushing the button back, but when I try to close it, it stops about 80% of the way closed and will only go backward (towards open) unless I press up on the button and then it will go 95% of the way closed, but will not fully close and leave the back portion of the sunroof below roof level. It almost seems like it is hitting the wind guard that pops up when it's open, but I've even tried to keep that down with my finger. Basically the button doesn't function the way it should once I get it to about 80% closed.

I'm frustrated as hell!!! Please help before I pull my hair out!!
TIA!!!!
Old 05-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK
hmm...i have the same problem once... when ask mechanics..they sed,it only needs to be reprogramme at the dealer but try this trick to overwrite the programme,simply press the button backwards and forwards a few times and then as well try the up & down button.this might just do it...just keep playin around with the sunroof button.

hope it werks on you Clk NickV
Old 05-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
Hey Nick

Sorry to hear about you problems but es202 is right. After a service and lube of the rails etc. the dealer reset my ECU and now it works fine. I did have the issue you did and by helping the sunroof forward by hand it did eventually close.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:55 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK430
Turn off your car. Pull out the fuse that is for the sunroof in your fuse box (under the hood on the left side). Put it back in after a minute or two. Turn your car back on try it again. If it closes fully I would try reprograming it again (see manual).
Old 05-14-2005, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Thanks guys, I'll get to work!
Old 05-15-2005, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Fixed! Played with the button, ended up holding it "up" and it closed! Thanks for your help fellas!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
05 E55
Originally Posted by nickv
Fixed! Played with the button, ended up holding it "up" and it closed! Thanks for your help fellas!

Oh, it's going to happen again. And this time when it rains. lol

I've been experiencing the same thing for a while, and it always come back. Usually, pulling over and turning off then back on helps. Else, when it is closing, force it with your hand to help it along...sometimes it gets binded and getconfused.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:44 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by str8ridin
Oh, it's going to happen again. And this time when it rains. lol

I've been experiencing the same thing for a while, and it always come back. Usually, pulling over and turning off then back on helps. Else, when it is closing, force it with your hand to help it along...sometimes it gets binded and getconfused.
I concur that it will happen again, and again, and again. I suggest you get real familiar with the "synchronizing" procedure for the sunroof in your manual.

Good Luck.

GGM
Old 05-15-2005, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
i believe to "reset" your sunroof if the problem occurs again, is to open it all the way.......hold the switch in the open position for about 20 seconds even after it opens all the way. Then you can close the sunroof all the way.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Yeah, I haven't used it for over a year and don't plan on using it ever again!!
Old 03-18-2017, 06:28 AM

W208 320
Originally Posted by clkal
i believe to "reset" your sunroof if the problem occurs again, is to open it all the way.......hold the switch in the open position for about 20 seconds even after it opens all the way. Then you can close the sunroof all the way.
I registered just to thank for this!