CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HELP!!! She doesn't respond when I floor it !!!!

Old 06-23-2002, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! She doesn't respond when I floor it !!!!

Hey guys, I've driven sticks all my life, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. Whenever I "floor" my car(2002 430) from a standing start I don't get an immediate response. Instead, she hesitates for about a second, then she kicks in. Sometimes the ( ! ) traction control signal flashes rapidly upon acceleration. I only have 700 miles on her. And I use the highest grade octane there is. I'm I pushing her too hard????

Also, is there a science to pressing on the accelerator to get the best response from a "stock" without tuning? I noticed that when I'm going about 20-30 mph and I press down a certain way, she jumps. It's like I'm flying!!!!! That's what I want to see from a standing start ! She's a V8 for heaven's sake and I want to maximize her potential!!! Any suggestions???

I know most of you would probably respond by saying get a Kleeman or something like that installed. Well, Im not there yet. I'll think about tuning once I finish my exterior mods!!

DapperBNZ
'02 CLK430
Old 06-24-2002, 12:01 AM

Uh, I think you need to calm down. Everyone I've ever met who drove a CLK (430, especially) hard agrees that there is a tremendous lag in accelleration. I'm willing to bet I drive my car harder than most people on this board, but I've managed to deal with the lag, despite my 'crazy' LA traffic driving .

One option is to use the auto stick feature, and just put yourself in the proper gear for your immediate accelleration needs. When you've selected an appropriate gear for your speed, you'll find that the car's accelleration becomes VERY responsive.

Also, don't forget that the button at the very end of the gas pedal travel tells the car to kick down ASAP, and is quite helpful for getting out of jams when you're in "D" on the gear shift.

After re-reading your post, it seems that you're most concerned with quick accelleration from a standstill. Again, your best bet is probably to use the manual shifting feature, but if you're talking about street racing, rev the car to ~1500rpm (gas and brake) and you'll get much less delay from a stop.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:09 AM

I definitely recommend revving a bit in addition to that advice- it definitely helps you off the line, and shouldn't hurt your car. Just my opinion .

BTW- If you shift into "1," the car will NOT shift up through the gears by itself. You'll run into the rev limiter, and that's not tremendously fun. You've got to do the shifting yourself, if you go that route. Keep in mind, if you're shifting with the gas mashed, that flicking the gear shift around 5000-5400 should allow enough time for the 1st-2nd shift, but it takes a bit of experimenting .

Last edited by Newbie; 06-24-2002 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
BTW- If you shift into "1," the car will NOT shift up through the gears by itself. You'll run into the rev limiter, and that's not tremendously fun. You've got to do the shifting yourself, if you go that route.
I think his 2002 WILL upshift through the gears.

I know my C32 does, but I also know it is a "special" (SPEEDSHIFT) transmission. It clicks 'em off like clockwork at redline.

Our 2000 ML does NOT shift up, for sure.

I have not noticed the "lag" DapperBNZ talks about, but again the C32 does have it's special trannie. Our ML does have a little bit of lag, but as you say, Newbie, you kinda get used to it and compensate.

As far as Kleemanizing - you have to remember that some of these guys could never have enough horsepower! A 430 has PLENTY of power!

(Then again, I did go for an AMG ... )
Old 06-24-2002, 12:48 PM

I have a MY2000 430 cab and have noticed a lag from a standing start since I got the car. I test drove a CLK55 and there was no lag. That was the biggest difference I found between the cars, as the 430 is incredibly fast once it gets going.

As to manually shifting, the TouchShift of the clk will not automatically upshift if you are manually starting in first. You will hit the rev limiter.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:27 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 CLK430 White/ Charcoal
LAG

I know exactly what you are talking about with the lag of power from a standstill. My BMW 328 ci is quicker off the line. Supposedly the transmission adapts to our driving style. Which I think is bull, but it could be true. Take for instance, if your an aggressive driver then the car will respond much quicker. You'd figure with 315lbs of Torque, our CLK's would be a rocket off the line. My only tip to get off the line faster is to preload, which basically is when your at a standstill, place your left foot on the brake and rev the engine to about 2,000 RPM's then when your ready to go release the brake and mash the pedal.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:41 PM

2000 CLK 430
Well I have a 2000 430 that runs like heck off the line all day.

Just yesterday I killed a Trans am with the big hood nose etc.

He tried scaring me by droping down to 3rd gear then back up to 5th then getting a wheel. His face drop when I did the same thing.

After we were 100 plus then saw the car's top end or maybe it was the Eisenman exhaust (2 x 83mm pipes) he backed down.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:07 PM

R129 SL320 '99
Like it BroadSt Bully .

I must admit to not noticing any lag but I probably don't expect what you guys do. Anyway, is the 0 to 20mph time bad (not what it could be) even if it's good from 0 to 60? Is that the issue you want to resolve?
Old 06-25-2002, 02:11 PM

2000 CLK 430
Did you expect the front end to come off the ground everytime you hit the gas?
Old 06-25-2002, 05:32 PM

LAG On Take off

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the input. It was well worth it. On my way home tonight, I will try out some of the technique you said. I'm not speed hungry or anything like that, however, I feel that if I have a V8 with 315 Lbs of torque, I should be able to get up and go whenever I SAY I WANT TO GET UP AND GO !!!

Thanks !!