CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 430 Ignition problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLk 430
Question CLK 430 Ignition problem

I have searched this in other threads but can't find the exact problem I'm having.

My CLK430 (2002) won't start. I go into the car, put the key in the ignition, hear the steering lock come off, but the key will not turn anymore than that.

Putting the key in allows the radio, lights, seats etc to work, but the windows do not move and are stuck down.

The car has no fault codes and is accepting the key as the correct one. The ignition switch has been taken apart and proved to be working on a bench tester. A mechanic has gone through every fuse and proven them all to be working. The starter motor is working if power is applied directly to it.

If anyone has any idea of what to do or has experienced similar I would love to hear from you! I'm about a thousand pounds out of pocket from this issue and am on the point of crying.

Thanks very much : (

EDIT: The car just rolled off the tow truck after 300 miles and started first time. I am being punished by God.

Last edited by JackGlossop; 03-31-2024 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:29 AM

CLK 430
Did you solve this problem? I’m having a similar issue.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:43 AM

CLk 430
Hi mate. It's started every time since. There was a dodgy contact on the ignition switch which they replaced when the car broke down but it still didn't start after they'd done that. It was only once it had been loaded and unloaded off the truck that it started. Perhaps try putting the car into neutral and rolling it back and forward a bit? I've honestly got no idea what this issue is about. I now have a car that works but that I don't really trust as I feel it could happen again at any time. If you manage to discover anything about this issue please let me know.