CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How to remove wood around shifter gate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430, 2012 BMW X5 3.5d
How to remove wood around shifter gate?

My emergency shifter lock cover seemed to dislodge itself and I'm trying to remove the wood piece surrounding the shifter - not the big piece holding the switches. It seems to be held in place with four clips - two on other side. I don't want to pry the tabs randomly because they look like they'll snap. Do you press on the grey plastic just below to press the tab clip in to lift it off? Hopefully when I get it off I'll have access to the small door - which I can see with the spring and fix it if its not snapped. Put a straw in the hole so the part and spring won't drop through.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2013, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by stim141
My emergency shifter lock cover seemed to dislodge itself and I'm trying to remove the wood piece surrounding the shifter - not the big piece holding the switches. It seems to be held in place with four clips - two on other side. I don't want to pry the tabs randomly because they look like they'll snap. Do you press on the grey plastic just below to press the tab clip in to lift it off? Hopefully when I get it off I'll have access to the small door - which I can see with the spring and fix it if its not snapped. Put a straw in the hole so the part and spring won't drop through.

Any suggestions?
Whats an emegerncy shifter lock cover? small door ? im lost, can you take a photo?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55 and CLS55
It should just come off by lifting it, I've had mine off a few times.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430, 2012 BMW X5 3.5d
I got it off by pressing the tabs with a flat screwdriver - didn't crack or break anything which is good considering these parts are uber expensive - even off of eBay as a salvage part.

The shift lock "door" is only on automatics from 2000+ and it is just below the W/S switch assembly. You can stick a pencil or something round release the Park/lock and shift it into neutral - that is if you can't turn your key,etc.

The door which is hard plastic is held in place with two small round hingepins out of plastic which is pretty brittle. I think one side of mine has always been weak and it dropped out into the mechanism on Friday. Fortunately I was able to remove the small door and spring. A small piece of the hinge had broken off. Shined a light into the hole and it was there as well which I was able to get out. It was a clean break so I can probably glue the thing back together. For something this small it won't be easy.

On 99 or less you could purchase just the housing for $30 but it doesn't have that door thingy and the gate is also different. On 2000+ you can only buy the entire shifter which is insane!

I found a link that shows how to take the shifter out easily and open the case to hopefully put the flap back. I'll have to carefully glue the piece back together and add some JB Weld or plastic epoxy to reinforce the pin. It should work - if not I'll temp fix the flap to the housing to make it look complete. Finding a 2000+ shifter on eBay for a low amount is impossible and for something like this it isn't worth it.