CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK430 Cab... Got Newbie ????'s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK430 Cab... Got Newbie ????'s

Bought an '01 Navy, blue top and Designo guts.

First order of business: Exhaust.

Sounds like a sewing machine, needs help. My daily is an '04 E55 so I used to being able to hear my car.

Is there a Magnaflow muffler that is a direct fit?

How does a resonator delete work(?)... Owner's opinions, not a step by step. lol

Next up... Tires

It's got 19" staggered wheels on it. It's riding on 235/35/19's all around.

The rears are stretched too much for me, they need something wider. Does a 265/30/19 sound right? For that matter, is the 235/35/19 in the front sound right??? they look about right.

Lastly for today... Brakes

Is there an easy swap from another series? Not sure i want to attempt the 6 pots from the E55. The stock front calipers look anemic.

That's all for now.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-14-2012, 03:51 PM

Ouch.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Let us know what you come up with. I agree with your statements that the brakes could be tighter and the car is extremely quiet and could have a more aggressive sound. I don't want it to be so loud that it gets annoying, but a slightly louder rumble could be nice. I see there are a few different big brake kits for about $2-3K for a full setup, but that is more than I would ever spend. I have 19" staggered rims and the tires look perfect, so I will get back to you on the tire sizes, they were on there when I bought it and I haven't had it too long.

I don't like to do a lot of mechanical mods, I learned my lesson a long time ago that cars were designed a certain way and if you "upgrade" one piece, then there is something else that will be effected and possibly break or not perform correctly. If I want a better car I will just trade in for something that was originally designed as a better or faster car. Anything beyond basic cosmetics or audio is not on my list. This is a great car to start with. Throw on some nice rims, upgrade the lights, grill, and maybe front bumper and you have a nice, quick ride that still turns heads.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 PM

jonUFO2,

Here's what I got so far:

1. Brakes... E55 are an option with a little work. BUT like you, it's more work than I want to do. So, I have had an older Brembo race kit I'm throwing on it with some braided lines and ceramic pads.

2. Exhaust turned out to be fairly easy. I am getting a Magnflow rear can with dual DTM tips. If that isn't the exact sound then it's delete the resonator for added rumble.

3. Tires: Gonna put on a set of Conti DWS's in 245/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rears. If the fronts rub I will correct with needed trimming or rolling.

Some other items I am doing:

A. VIPCLK's front / rear strut bars.

B. Eibach CLK55 Cabrio front/rear sway bars.

C. VIPCLK's front spoiler
D. Spyder or (?) - projector lights... unless VIPCLK makes more of his.
E. Understated trunk lip spoiler
F. Undetermined -1" shock/spring/coilover set-up. Still researching.
G. Single CD iPod head unit that still controls trunk changer.
F. Additional Sub... Stock Bose system is lacking
G. E63 steering wheel if possible

Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK430
Originally Posted by 81kx125MBW
jonUFO2,

Here's what I got so far:

1. Brakes... E55 are an option with a little work. BUT like you, it's more work than I want to do. So, I have had an older Brembo race kit I'm throwing on it with some braided lines and ceramic pads.

2. Exhaust turned out to be fairly easy. I am getting a Magnflow rear can with dual DTM tips. If that isn't the exact sound then it's delete the resonator for added rumble.

3. Tires: Gonna put on a set of Conti DWS's in 245/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rears. If the fronts rub I will correct with needed trimming or rolling.

Some other items I am doing:

A. VIPCLK's front / rear strut bars.

B. Eibach CLK55 Cabrio front/rear sway bars.

C. VIPCLK's front spoiler
D. Spyder or (?) - projector lights... unless VIPCLK makes more of his.
E. Understated trunk lip spoiler
F. Undetermined -1" shock/spring/coilover set-up. Still researching.
G. Single CD iPod head unit that still controls trunk changer.
F. Additional Sub... Stock Bose system is lacking
G. E63 steering wheel if possible

Keep this thread alive with pics, I'd be interested to see your progress.

I have a 430cab as well and am just getting started myself. I'm already in the market for 19's but have been battling convertible top issues so the 19's are on hold for now. If I get fed up and sell the car, I wouldn't get my money back out of a set of wheels. lol.

To replace the foggy stock headlamps, I picked up a set of the 'cheese grater' projector lenses from eBay and a set of 8k HID from a local shop. I'm more than happy with the setup.

Here is a pic of mine with the top (manually) down: