MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W208) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208-5/)
-   -   How remove MAF on 430CLK ??? (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/189688-how-remove-maf-430clk.html)

Pancho 04-12-2007 09:38 AM

How remove MAF on 430CLK ???

I've searched the forum, and only found vague insturctions.
Need some real help.

I see an electrical connection, that doesn't want to come loose.
I see a shiny steel clip, that I can't figure how to lossen.
Are there more attachement points ?

How do you get this platic MAF housing off the car ?

How do I get to the sensor inside ?

Please see link: http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos...LK-MAF-Out.jpg

Whodat 04-14-2007 09:59 PM

*laff* I was breaking my fingernails off on that electrical connection until blackbenzz said 'hey, it just comes right off' *lol*. It simply pulls off but it may take a stiff pull. Can't remember what we did for that backside clamp but it didn't put up much of an arguement.

Whodat 04-14-2007 10:33 PM

*lol* I now see in another thread that you figured it out. Good deal. I just wanted to say your tutorials are always the best! That digital camera is ALWAYS charged up and ready to go! *LOL*

Pancho 04-14-2007 11:56 PM

You hit the nail on the head.
I keep the camera with me, and when something seems important I take about 3 pictures of it, then get back to the job. Later, in the comfort of my computer desk, I cut, paste, resize, text, edit, etc. until I get it right, then I post if for my buddies on the forum. I figure since I don't have a lot of knowledge to impart, that's is my way of paying back for the help you guys give me.
That's the way it happens.

derekwh 08-02-2018 01:42 PM

[QUOTE=Pancho;2136429]I've searched the forum, and only found vague insturctions.
Need some real help.

I see an electrical connection, that doesn't want to come loose.
I see a shiny steel clip, that I can't figure how to lossen.
Are there more attachement points ?

I realize that this is an old thread but how do you get the shiny steel clip off without breaking something?

cindyclk 08-02-2018 02:33 PM

pretty easy.....be sure you seat the rear of the air filter into map before lowering the front.

derekwh 08-02-2018 02:38 PM

pretty easy.....be sure you seat the rear of the air filter into map before lowering the front.[/QUOTE]

I have the MAF out but am wondering about the metal clip that holds the MAF to the lower piece which fits into the manifold. I don't want to manhandle and break the plastic.

cindyclk 08-02-2018 02:45 PM

are you trying to change the sensor within the housing or did you purchase the new replacement housing including new maf......I have always purchased a new housing w/ new MAF...no handling of the delicate MAF....Did you purchase an OEM (hopefully) since almost all ebay/internet MAFs are China made and last short time (discussed many times previously)

Pancho 08-02-2018 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by derekwh (Post 7519072)
pretty easy.....be sure you seat the rear of the air filter into map before lowering the front.

I have the MAF out but am wondering about the metal clip that holds the MAF to the lower piece which fits into the manifold. I don't want to manhandle and break the plastic.[/QUOTE]

Here's a link to an Instructional I made about 100 years ago.

http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos...-MAF-5x100.jpg

derekwh 08-02-2018 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by cindyclk (Post 7519082)
are you trying to change the sensor within the housing or did you purchase the new replacement housing including new maf......I have always purchased a new housing w/ new MAF...no handling of the delicate MAF....Did you purchase an OEM (hopefully) since almost all ebay/internet MAFs are China made and last short time (discussed many times previously)

This is the clip that I am talking about. Like I said, I don't want to break any of the surrounding plastic. Yes, I am going to install an OEM MAF w/the body.https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1ee991e1ae.jpg

cindyclk 08-02-2018 04:49 PM

If you watch the video above, the housing is as simple as they show....pull off, stick new one back....I don't know why you're removing that clip at all. The picture you show doesn't even look like a 430 MAF housing.... here is autohauz 430 MAF
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0280217810

derekwh 08-02-2018 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by cindyclk (Post 7519192)
If you watch the video above, the housing is as simple as they show....pull off, stick new one back....I don't know why you're removing that clip at all.

The MAF that I have doesn't include the lower elbow ( the half on the right side of the picture) so they need to be separated. I may be overly cautious but I've learned that 16 year old plastic gets pretty brittle.

cindyclk 08-02-2018 04:57 PM

That is not what the OEM 2002 430 nor 55 has

derekwh 08-02-2018 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by cindyclk (Post 7519202)
That is not what the OEM 2002 430 nor 55 has

That is what is in it and it is the same set up as the one in the MB parts list. Part # 113-094-00-48. Maybe it is the angle that it was shot at.

cindyclk 08-02-2018 06:14 PM

sorry but no clue what the clip is..that is the correct part but it simply pushes into the housing below and then held with the ring shown in the video...The part that you ordered is like the one in pic and my link above...correct? The MAF housing mounts vertically...same on your engine?...is your picture show that you removed the MAF and the manifold below it? Might your clip might have been put onto the housing instead of the circular clamp? It looks like if you depress the tab on the clip, it should pull out. please take pictures and add to thread to help others out.

derekwh 08-02-2018 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by cindyclk (Post 7519272)
sorry but no clue what the clip is..that is the correct part but it simply pushes into the housing below and then held with the ring shown in the video...The part that you ordered is like the one in pic and my link above...correct? The MAF housing mounts vertically...same on your engine?...is your picture show that you removed the MAF and the manifold below it? Might your clip might have been put onto the housing instead of the circular clamp? It looks like if you depress the tab on the clip, it should pull out. please take pictures and add to thread to help others out.

The OP mentioned it, that's why I grabbed onto this thread. The only instructions (in Pancho's post) were to use a screwdriver and be careful, take your time. So that is my plan, I just hate it when a plastic part breaks. Similar to taking the center vent out, best to get some input.

derekwh 08-02-2018 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by derekwh (Post 7519315)
The OP mentioned it, that's why I grabbed onto this thread. The only instructions (in Pancho's post) were to use a screwdriver and be careful, take your time. So that is my plan, I just hate it when a plastic part breaks. Similar to taking the center vent out, best to get some input.

It came apart without incident. My original thought was to compress the little tab at the bottom but trying to push it in and push the clip up at the same time wasn't working so I pried the top part away from the "barrel" of the MAF and wiggled the upper and lower pieces apart. I can't imaging trying to this while it was still mounted on the engine.

cindyclk 08-02-2018 08:36 PM

I will ask again, was there no collar as shown in the video that holds the MAF in place? That's how all of mine have come off (3 replaced....2 430s and 1 AMG)

derekwh 08-03-2018 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by cindyclk (Post 7519389)
I will ask again, was there no collar as shown in the video that holds the MAF in place? That's how all of mine have come off (3 replaced....2 430s and 1 AMG)

Is this the collar that you are speaking of?https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b604190ca9.jpg

cindyclk 08-03-2018 01:43 PM

Yes...after you remove that, the MAF should simply lift out

Pancho 08-03-2018 02:18 PM

Clean it, then reinstall. Mine has been working for years after a simple cleaning. Look at the instructional, take your time, relax, don't be scared of your car. Once you understand it, then it takes a total of about one minute with a simple screwdriver to pry back the hook end of the clip to release the the barrel, and the sensor is right there. Clean it, reinstall, and it's better than a 50/50 chance that you'll be good to go for several years, maybe forever. I cleaned my MAF on June 8, 2010, and haven't had a problem with it since. Nothing here is rocket science--just simple straight forward wrenching. I didn't even get my hands dirty. Don't over complicate this thing.

You're in a no lose situation--take advantage of it.
Look, if you were already prepared to shell out a couple of bills to buy a new MAF anyway, then you're in a no lose situation.
Clean it for a about 3 dollars, if it works great. If it doesn't work, then spring for a new MAF.
I mean, after all, you've got 5 or 6 guys that are on your side on this forum.
Worry not.

derekwh 08-03-2018 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pancho (Post 7519928)
Clean it, then reinstall. Mine has been working for years after a simple cleaning. Look at the instructional, take your time, relax, don't be scared of your car. Once you understand it, then it takes a total of about one minute with a simple screwdriver to pry back the hook end of the clip to release the the barrel, and the sensor is right there. Clean it, reinstall, and it's better than a 50/50 chance that you'll be good to go for several years, maybe forever. I cleaned my MAF on June 8, 2010, and haven't had a problem with it since. Nothing here is rocket science--just simple straight forward wrenching. I didn't even get my hands dirty. Don't over complicate this thing.

You're in a no lose situation--take advantage of it.
Look, if you were already prepared to shell out a couple of bills to buy a new MAF anyway, then you're in a no lose situation.
Clean it for a about 3 dollars, if it works great. If it doesn't work, then spring for a new MAF.
I mean, after all, you've got 5 or 6 guys that are on your side on this forum.
Worry not.

First, when I removed the MAF it was still attached to the lower "elbow", separating the two required removing the shiny steel clip. Second, while replacing the spark plugs and valve cover gaskets last weekend I had the MAF out because I had to replace the breather hose. While I had it out I decided to give it a spray of CRC MAF cleaner. I'm not sure if that caused the problem but after putting it all back together I started getting the P0300, P0305, and P0306 codes along with the CEL. I figured it was the MAF and rather than taking it out again just for a clean I decided to install a new one, which I just did. Whatever was causing the codes is gone. It runs like a dream now.
PS, I am not "scared of my car". I am cautious when working with brittle parts. I have been wrenching for 50 years and really hate breaking things.

Pancho 08-03-2018 05:26 PM

Too defensive.
C'mon now, you had access to
a video, and
a pictorial instructional, and
advice from a half dozen forum members, and
"50 Yrs." wrenching,
and then stumped by that primitive clip?
Oh well.
Too defensive,
maybe just a thank you guys, would have been better.

derekwh 08-03-2018 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pancho (Post 7520137)
Too defensive.
C'mon now, you had access to
a video, and
a pictorial instructional, and
advice from a half dozen forum members, and
"50 Yrs." wrenching,
and then stumped by that primitive clip?
Oh well.
Too defensive,
maybe just a thank you guys, would have been better.

Show me the link for video of someone removing the clip, then I'll give you a thanks