CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Installing an Aftermarket Navigation or Headunit

Old 07-10-2007, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing an Aftermarket Navigation or Headunit

I know there are many of you out there that have an aftermarket navigation or head unit installed in your CLK and i was hoping to get some feedback from you guys. I have a 2000 CLK320 with the DB2 fiber optics system and after some helpful information from deyainrdy4ds, Deltasonik and reading the forum, i have come to realize that i will not be able to utilize the factor system with an aftermarket Navigation.

From what i understand the only possible solution would be to yank the factory amp and have an aftermarket amp installed. However i would like to run one idea by everyone and see what you think. I would like to install a double din head unit screen because i feel it provides a cleaner look, so i was thinking i could move the factory head unit into my glove box and connect my new navigation head unit to the factory head unit using this Aux adapter http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/ME...ER_p_4671.html

I know the drawbacks would be that I will have to disconnect my factory CD changer and run new power wires to the aftermarket head unit, but i really like the sound of my factory system and if i end up selling the car it won't be a pain in the *** to restore it. I would appreciate anyone’s input about any cons to this idea or if anyone knows of some miracle adapter or any alternative.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
im confused tho...y u sayn u gota switch our ur factory amp....i dint hafta do ne of that .......does the 320 have a completely diff stereo system from the 430 or somethin...?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:57 PM

I've been told that an after market Navigation or headunit cannot be connected to the factory bose amplifier because it has a fiber optic connection like the rest of the system. The CLK320 and the CLK430 should have the same audio system. However I believe the 1999 CLKs are not a fully fiber optic so an aftermarket head unit can be connected to the factory Amp, but i'm not sure about that.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 CLK 430
The Factory amp is not fiberoptic but the way it is hooked up is that the factory radio sends a low power signal to the Amp...Just a signal and the speakers are all hooked up to the amp.. thats where they get their power. You could possibly hook up an aftermarket radio to your factory bose system if the radio has RCO signal outputs and you can convert the outputs into the same type of wire as the signal wire that runs to the amp.. (real thin signal wire) I tried but it was a real PITA. I just tore everything out and rewired it all.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:05 PM

e320
just did mine had to pull factory radio plus pocket below.then took a dremmel cut out the little plastic divider. then i use a harness from a vw metra is the brand now the red wire is the constant on and the yellow is the switch or key on thats the only difference the sound is great nothing else is needed . i had a factory radio and cd changer + phone. the stock amp is being used can plug my old radio back in less that 5 minutes but i do have a 1999 320 but my back speakers do have bose emblems so hope this help u
Old 07-27-2007, 07:29 AM

2000 Clk 430
I installed an AVic-Z2

I had a guy off craigslist do i custom wiring job. He cut and spliced the wiring harness directly from my original stereo. It took him about 2 hours to do it and only 75.00 well worth the money.

Too bad this past fri 13th someone broke into my benz and ripped it off

Now my car is stuck the alarm shop while the installers try to figure the wiring for the alarm out.

FYI I hate the Avic models. It has a built in Gyro to detect motion and you cant play your dvd's while driving. I had it wired and had to flash my headlight to mod it out. It was a hastle.

Im am going with the Alpine ia205 now.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by marine12001
I had a guy off craigslist do i custom wiring job. He cut and spliced the wiring harness directly from my original stereo. It took him about 2 hours to do it and only 75.00 well worth the money.

Now my car is stuck the alarm shop while the installers try to figure the wiring for the alarm out.

FYI I hate the Avic models. It has a built in Gyro to detect motion and you cant play your dvd's while driving. I had it wired and had to flash my headlight to mod it out. It was a hastle.

Wow.. that really sucks. Sorry to hear about that...Try to have something nice and someone always looking to rip it off.
FYI... all radios that play DVD's can sense if the car is in motion or at least if the parking brake is on.... unless you wire it up to think that the brake is on. There are devices that can trick the radio into thinking that the brake is on and you can watch DVD while in motion.. or you can but a two way switch and wire it up in place in the parking brake.

The IVA-205 is a REALLY sweet radio.. Alpine makes a module that plugs in that supports a full range of bluetooth for your phone. You can actually see your address book on the screen.. you are also able to answer/disconnect calls on the screen. the model number is the 300-BT. I have the IVA-200 that has the optional bluetooth as well but its the 100-BT and does not work nearly as well. If you get the IVA-205.. defiently get the bluetooth option.. it works GREAT!
Old 06-22-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
Looking for the same info for a 2002 CLK 55.

Also, what additional components are required other than buying the unit itself?

i.e. - Wiring Harness?, Mounting bracket? Steering Wheel control adapter? Do our speakers need to be re-wired due to the possibility of fibre optic wiring?

HELP PLEASE!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
To answer your question about whether you might need an "after-market amp", it would actually depend on what you plan on having installed. Meaning... what type of power it consumes, how much power it requires, what type of connections, etc.

I learned all this from a Car Audio Shop in SoCal that SPECIALIZES in Mercedes Show Cars. So i'm pretty confident that the owner knew what he was talking about.

For example... The double-din i'm planning to buy is the ALPINE W505. The top of the line NAVI/DVD. It requires an after-market amp and new wiring simply because of the power it requires. He mentioned that if i decided to keep the factory amp, it would work for a few weeks, then once it blows out, it's gonna cause lots of problems with it since it's also connected to other parts such as the speakers, etc.

If you're planning to purchase a lower end DOUBLE-DIN, try to get some information from those who know their stuff about Benzes, that way you'll have the confidence to trust their work.

Just tryin' to help out.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:12 PM

2007 SL55, 2004SL55, 2002 CLK55, 2000 CLK430
Pioneer Avic in CLK

Guys,
I just sold my CLK55 2002 on ebay.
I had a Pioneer Avic Z1 system installed (professionally) in my car and it worked and looked pretty good. I even had a custom made birdseye maple frame for it that matched the interior.
the unit at the time was over 2K and the install ran me 500.
however, from my understanding he left all the original amps, speakers etc as is.

here is a link to the auction and you will be able to see the pics of the unit on the bottom.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...229485412&rd=1
Old 06-22-2008, 07:26 PM

2007 SL55, 2004SL55, 2002 CLK55, 2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by marine12001

you can install an overide that will let you watch DVD's etc while you drive.
they have them on ebay for around 40
Old 06-22-2008, 10:47 PM

in the CLKs only the OE CD Changer is Fiber-Optic.

Its amazing how much BS comes from CarAudio salesmen....

You DONT have to re-wire the entire audio system, just for a headunit.

Use a VW harness...and its plug and play!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:47 AM

Thanks. Will look into that.

Originally Posted by SoCalw11w123
in the CLKs only the OE CD Changer is Fiber-Optic.

Its amazing how much BS comes from CarAudio salesmen....

You DONT have to re-wire the entire audio system, just for a headunit.

Use a VW harness...and its plug and play!
Old 07-04-2008, 03:07 AM

So, for a 2002 CLK 55 are these the parts that are needed:

I'm still confused as to which wiring harness to use. Can someone tell me which one? Does the Factory Bose Amp have to be bypassed (meaning harness #2 below)? I'm looking for the least amount of work/re-wiring as possible. Also which two wires on the harness needs to be modified and modified as in ???

Help.

"Amp Integration plug - Mercedes C230 C240 C320*Fits models w/Factory amp. Does Not work if you are planing to remove the factory amp and not use it."

"If you are installing an aftermarket radio in your car you need this harness."

Mercedes C230 C240 C320 Radio Mounting Install Dash Kit (no clk listed, cut out middle plastic piece):

Import to Domestic Antenna Adapter:

Last edited by newguy2008; 07-04-2008 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yo Momma
guys, if you are that confused, i can get you guys the wire harness that i used to install pioneer avic-z1 in my 01 clk 320. It was a vw harness and you dont need to do anything else. Just match the colors and your good to go. Its that simple. NO bypassing or anything. Babyboi, i highly doubt your factory amp will blow, the audio guy is just trying to sell.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:44 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the offer but, I can get one from a buddy who works for a stereo shop, so I just need to know which one.

i.e. PI 1 or 2 above or different one altogether.

Originally Posted by ZEEK
guys, if you are that confused, i can get you guys the wire harness that i used to install pioneer avic-z1 in my 01 clk 320. It was a vw harness and you dont need to do anything else. Just match the colors and your good to go. Its that simple. NO bypassing or anything. Babyboi, i highly doubt your factory amp will blow, the audio guy is just trying to sell.

Last edited by newguy2008; 07-05-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:11 AM

CLK320 Cabrio 2001
Originally Posted by ZEEK
What number is the VW harness?

Do I need the antenna converter plug too?

Concerning the AMP and fiber optics; the Z2 and Z1 for that matter, run at 4ohms, correct? and the speakers in hte clk320are 2ohm. Wont it be an issue to run a head unit that drives speakers that have a lower resistance?

BTW, I have a 2001 CLK320 that I am looking to install with a Z2.

You may also consider the PAC SWI-CAN2 and SWI-PS to control the head unit via the steering wheel controls.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:03 PM

CLK 320
I have an aftermarket navigation/cd system

I have the AVIC z1 in my car, I recently upgraded the hardrive added more space as well as the most current maps which makes it function like a AVIC Z3. This is one of the best Navigation/DVD/ HDD players on the market.. at least that is my opinion. I paid Circuit City $100 to install the system, they didn't have to splice any wires, I can swap out the system when I sell the car and use the orginal mercedes radio. I paid nearly $2700 bucks for mine few years ago, now days you can get the same system for the fraction of cost either on e-bay or craigslist.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 AM

Which VW harness did they use? One with the RCA plugs or just the plain wires?

Originally Posted by steveg972
I have the AVIC z1 in my car, I recently upgraded the hardrive added more space as well as the most current maps which makes it function like a AVIC Z3. This is one of the best Navigation/DVD/ HDD players on the market.. at least that is my opinion. I paid Circuit City $100 to install the system, they didn't have to splice any wires, I can swap out the system when I sell the car and use the orginal mercedes radio. I paid nearly $2700 bucks for mine few years ago, now days you can get the same system for the fraction of cost either on e-bay or craigslist.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:38 AM

CLK320 Cabrio 2001
Originally Posted by steveg972
I spoke to Pioneer today and they told me I can use the existing BOSE Amplifier; I would need to get the proper wiring harness which is the VW version. Is there only one version. Do I need to get an adapter for the antenna as well?

Steve... you said you can replace the old BOSE heard unit back in the car; how can you do this when the guys at Circuit City removed the horizontal plastic divider that rested between ashtray and the sloted box above it?

Thanks,
Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 PM

2002 CLK 320
the harness i used was the

METRA 70-1784

and i got the antenna adapter from
my local shop.

hope this helps
Old 07-29-2008, 12:15 AM

CLK320 Cabrio 2001
Originally Posted by j_terron
the harness i used was the

METRA 70-1784

and i got the antenna adapter from
my local shop.

hope this helps
So the plug that comes out of the Bose factory unit goes into METRA 70-1784; and then he loose wires from the METRA 70-1784 are a color match for the AVIC-Z2 wiring harness?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:26 AM

2002 CLK 320
i just colored matched the wires of the METRA harness to
the harness of the D3 headunit.

there was no rewiring or messing with the amp.

the only thing that sucks is finding a trim ring for the
unit. i just made it out some hard plastic i had laying
around.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 AM

CLK320 Cabrio 2001

around.
I thought the unit comes with a face plate? Maybe the AVIC-Z2 does; I hope. I would like to make my own ring or find one that matches with wood simulated plastice around the rest of the controls.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:22 AM

Hi,

Did you find a way to secure it into place? Because it sounds like someone can just pull it right out of the dash. Is it "locked" into the sleeve?

around.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing an Aftermarket Navigation or Headunit