CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Unmatched tires

Old 05-19-2008, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430, SC430, RX330
Unmatched tires

The service department made a note on my invoice that stated my tires were not matching. Is it a big deal to have different brands of tires on at once? I always changed my tires in pairs so the fronts would always match and the backs would always match, but after a recent blowout I had a tire put on that was a different brand than the other. I'm just surprised it was noted on my service order. Is that something I should be concerned with?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:43 PM

08 CLS63, Honda Accord, 04 911
I think the service department is just noting what was found , also could be covering themselves for any liability for whatever reason.

Sometimes I've gotten invoices that say the weirdest stuff as well, but I'd rather have more things noted that I may have noticed.

I think it can be an issue if you are running two totally diff. tires on the same axle- like a decent Nitto vs. a top of the line Michelin..they just wear different and ride diff...for the most part we dont feel it since we arent race car drivers, but I prefer to at least match the fronts or rears...
Old 05-19-2008, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 3.2
That's a good question that I might be able to answer but I think it's a matter of opinion.

I know that some people like to use tires that have very strong side walls for front tires because they are less likely to give in and buckle during spirited cornering/ driving.

And some people like to use very sticky rear tires to prevent any loose tail end tendencies while driving spirited.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:44 AM

frankenstein 2001 CLK 430
well my front tires don't match the rears, but i prefer them matching, my mechanic says it better to have them all the same type but i don't know why... i never had different tires types on the same axle though..
Old 05-20-2008, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
In theory, mismatched tires can upset the handling characteristics of the car. This is especially true in the rain. One tread pattern may be better and have substantially more grip than another. Unless the car is driven at it’s limits, you may never notice the difference.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 3.2
Here's little copy and paste of what different tire tread combos do and how they work with Pirelli tires.

I just bought a set of Pirelli's and they are:

PZero Rosso Direzionale in front

PZero Rosso Asimmetrico on the rear

Here's a quote for the reasoning behind the recommended tread mixing on the Pirelli website:

"The PZero Rosso System includes both asymmetric and directional tread designs, each tuned to satisfy the unique performance needs of different types of vehicles and uses. The PZero Rosso Asimmetrico is the most widely used because it's designed for both front and rear axle positions of front engine front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive cars (and on all cars driven on the track). The PZero Rosso Direzionale is designed to offer enhanced hydroplaning resistance and is primarily for use on the load carrying front axle positions and rear-wheel drive cars which are then combined with the PZero Rosso Asimmetrico tires on the rear axle positions."