MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W208) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208-5/)
-   -   Mercedes Recall (Harmonic Balance) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/246059-mercedes-recall-harmonic-balance.html)

amenva 05-28-2008 12:09 PM

Mercedes Recall (Harmonic Balance)

I have a 1999 CLK320 and I called to schedule a service with Mercedes today. My advisor told me there's a recall on the Harmonic balance. He said it's kinda important and that I should have it taken care of. It's free and will take 2, 3 hours.

Does anybody know anything about this?

ratha67 05-28-2008 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by amenva (Post 2849711)
I have a 1999 CLK320 and I called to schedule a service with Mercedes today. My advisor told me there's a recall on the Harmonic balance. He said it's kinda important and that I should have it taken care of. It's free and will take 2, 3 hours.

Does anybody know anything about this?

By running the vin, my service advisor told me that mine had not been done yet and needed to be checked out. I was told it takes 2 hours, so I told him that I'd do it the next time I came in. I got my transmission flushed the next time I went in (best thing I've done for my car), and when they checked my harmonic balancer, they read the serial number and determined it wasn't one affected by the recall.

I guess it causes vibration if it was one of the bad ones. Given both my motor mounts are leaking, I'm used to a little shaking anyways. I was still hoping I was getting something done for free at the dealership, any free service is good service. Good Luck.

amenva 05-28-2008 01:13 PM

Thanks for the response ratha67. I'll go have it checked out the next time I take it in.

Acutally I'm trying to do the exact same thing - having the transmission flushed. What do you mean by it's the best thing you've done to your car? I'm told that it's basically a standard maintenance. What differences are there after you've done yours? (I've never done mine since I bought the car almost 2 years ago....) Thanks.

ratha67 05-28-2008 01:18 PM

Just shifts much smoother... And it ended up costing a lot less than what I had expected. Here is the thread a posted after getting the transmission fluid done.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/244828-just-had-my-transmission-flushed.html

sfclk 05-28-2008 02:29 PM

does the recall effect all years and engines?

falls profet 05-28-2008 04:27 PM

No, it only affects specific vins.

PixsouL 05-28-2008 05:16 PM

I know they have told me mine needs it done. But I haven't been to the dealer in a while. Other than to pick up parts. Guess I should get it done though.

High Technology 06-06-2008 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by PixsouL (Post 2850669)
I know they have told me mine needs it done. But I haven't been to the dealer in a while. Other than to pick up parts. Guess I should get it done though.

I would definitely get it done in the next month or two if your car is subject to the recall. My balancer went right before I got the recall notice in the mail. I was about 100 miles from home and notice some rough vibration and a noise from the radiator fan. I pulled a piece of the rubber balancer out of the radiator fan (hence the noise). The car idled a bit rough, but otherwise operated fine, so I drove it home and took it to the dealer the following morning.

When the balancer went, the rough idle managed to nick the timing chain cover so I now had an oil leak. There was another part damaged too, but I don't remember what it is. Total repair cost would have been almost $2,000 if the recall hadn't been issued -- due to the recall, it didn't cost me anything. At some point, MB could fuss over failed balancers for customers that didn't perform the recall that they received a notice for so I would get yours fixed.

Here's the funny part -- was leaving for vacation a couple of days later. Since they needed to order parts, I told the dealer to keep the car for the week, and I would pick up the following Monday morning. I came home from vacation and found the recall notice in the mail... Sometimes my timing just stinks.:nix: