MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W208) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208-5/)
-   -   Clear liquid under my CLK (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/251135-clear-liquid-under-my-clk.html)

TennisGuy 07-04-2008 04:32 PM

Clear liquid under my CLK

Hi Guys,

I noticed a puddle under the car and initially thought it was water from the air conditioner. However, the puddle is rather large and I noticed the same puddle after driving to the store and the air had not been running. The liquid looks like water, has no smell and has a slight oily feeling. It's collecting on the driver's side in the front. I checked the levels of the brake fluid and power steering fluid and neither is low. Any ideas what the liquid could be?

Thanks.

TennisGuy

ApproachingZero 07-05-2008 12:37 PM

Try to collect more than what is on your fingers.

If it is clear it is probably condesation from the AC. You may not have the AC cranked up but i think it continues to run when you have the auto climate control on. It should be keeping the balance between hot and cold and the only way it could do that is with the AC runing slightly, which of course would cause the condesation.

If it is slightly redish it is coolant. If I recall the coolent in my 430 had a slight red hue.

Check your coolant levels on the side of the collant resivor. Watch the levels and WATCH THE TEMP GUAGE!

ratha67 07-05-2008 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by TennisGuy (Post 2920432)
Hi Guys,

I noticed a puddle under the car and initially thought it was water from the air conditioner. However, the puddle is rather large and I noticed the same puddle after driving to the store and the air had not been running. The liquid looks like water, has no smell and has a slight oily feeling. It's collecting on the driver's side in the front. I checked the levels of the brake fluid and power steering fluid and neither is low. Any ideas what the liquid could be?

Thanks.

TennisGuy

probably just the air conditioner like you initially thought, however the our washer fluid reservoirs are also known to spring a leak, so check that level as well. But most likely just your A/C.

TennisGuy 07-05-2008 02:44 PM

Problem solved. Well, at least partially. It appears that anti-freeze is leaking. I haven't been able to determine where. The last puddle left was so big, I had to wipe it up with a towel. As I wiped it up, I noticed the liquid had a yellowish-green color. I then looked at the reservoir and saw it was low. When I check the engine well, I saw where some liquid had spattered but dried near several hoses. I bought some anti-freeze and found a drop on the ground looked clear and the consistency was the same as the liquid under the car; water-like by slightly oily. I'm planning to drive the car and check to see if I can find the point where it's leaking when it's hot.

Thanks for your input.

ApproachingZero 07-05-2008 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by TennisGuy (Post 2921285)
Problem solved. Well, at least partially. It appears that anti-freeze is leaking. I haven't been able to determine where. The last puddle left was so big, I had to wipe it up with a towel. As I wiped it up, I noticed the liquid had a yellowish-green color. I then looked at the reservoir and saw it was low. When I check the engine well, I saw where some liquid had spattered but dried near several hoses. I bought some anti-freeze and found a drop on the ground looked clear and the consistency was the same as the liquid under the car; water-like by slightly oily. I'm planning to drive the car and check to see if I can find the point where it's leaking when it's hot.

Thanks for your input.

Someone correct me if i am wrong but i thought we had to use the red coolant?

Every mercedes that i have been in or bought has had the red stuff.

KENNETH04S 07-06-2008 01:00 AM

maybe tenisguy bought the car used, and the first owner changed the coolant with the one sold on Autozone