MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W208) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208-5/)
-   -   I've come to the conclusion I can forget about having a matched set of tires (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/251726-ive-come-conclusion-i-can-forget-about-having-matched-set-tires.html)

The Jury 07-09-2008 09:45 AM

I've come to the conclusion I can forget about having a matched set of tires

Past the 2 year mark of ownership on my CLK and I have only replaced the full set once, but I have replaced the passenger rear 4 times. I think it is obvious this is the drive wheel where the torque goes on this car. I don't do burn outs or anything like that, but I don't drive like a granny. I get my moneys worth out of the car for sure. I don't turn the trac off either so I keep wearing the rear tire based on what I consider normal driving.

I'm usually first off the light and take a lead, but I don't exactly blow the others away. I just don't poke ass along. Under these normal driving conditions I can't keep tread on that passenger rear tire to save my life. It's bald again after 6 months.

You guys experiencing the same wear patterns?

Ghostrider 07-09-2008 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by The Jury (Post 2927868)
Past the 2 year mark of ownership on my CLK and I have only replaced the full set once, but I have replaced the passenger rear 4 times. I think it is obvious this is the drive wheel where the torque goes on this car. I don't do burn outs or anything like that, but I don't drive like a granny. I get my moneys worth out of the car for sure. I don't turn the trac off either so I keep wearing the rear tire based on what I consider normal driving.

I'm usually first off the light and take a lead, but I don't exactly blow the others away. I just don't poke ass along. Under these normal driving conditions I can't keep tread on that passenger rear tire to save my life. It's bald again after 6 months.

Have you had the car lowered? Gotten an alignment?

ratha67 07-09-2008 11:15 AM

I had a similar issue with a lexus I had. Although not as drastic as your symptoms, my right rear tire would wear down slightly faster than my left rear. Tire shop did mention that it was because it was the main drive tire. I had nondirectional tires put on it and switched the tires at each oil change. My CLK has not had these symptoms, but I do drive it like a grandma.

Going back to the alignment theme, how about the tire wear on that tire? (is it pretty even?). And if yes what about frequently switching your rear tires so you can at least change your rear tires in pairs (would be a lot easier if you had tires that were not directional..ie. rotation patterns that don't differ).

Also if you don't have an alignment problem, and your rims and tires are not staggered you can have rotate all 4 tires, and at least you will be buying tires 4 at a time. Again, it would make it much easier if your tires were not directional.

I have also been told by many places that my alignment is to spec when it obviously wasn't aligned "straight". The camber adjustment set to spec is not always the best for tire life, it might be a bit too aggressive, but I guess it helps the car grip the road and corner well. I'd much rather have 0 degrees on the rear camber setting, rather than the upper allowable limits.

Well at least it seems like you are getting good use out of that tire you keep replacing, judging from how you acccelerate from the line. Geez, aren't gas prices a concern for you. :D

MarcusF 07-09-2008 12:14 PM

Speaking of wear patterns, how is the right rear wearing? Bald down the center with tread left on the sides (air pressure too high)? Bald on the sides, but some tread down the middle is available (pressure too low)? Bald on the inside, some tread down the center, lots of tread on the outside (pressure too low and a lot of neg camber)? Bald on the outside, some tread down the center, lots of tread on the intside (pressure too low and it may have hit something :eek:)?

Chappy 07-09-2008 01:00 PM

NOT normal.

Has the car been in an accident? I would get the best shop in town to do a 4-wheel alignment, then take it from there. You may need crash bolts to get the correct-spec alignment.

150shot 07-09-2008 05:14 PM

Easier way to make your tires last on top of everyone suggestions:

I've had negative camber wear issues on most of my cars due to lowering/tracking & autox./and agressive driving..etc...just rotate em left to right and right to left. THe worn tire will be on the other side, and still rotating the same way-it will buy you double the time in tire life...

but again 6 months is not normal.
Not the right solution but just a thought.

Jessica90 07-09-2008 05:38 PM

I'm also having tire issues.

I know my allignment is bad and I keep getting an allignment, but it's not helping. My front tires have uneven wear due to a bad allignment. My steering lately has become a bit crazy too.

I just bought rear tires about half a year or so and the sides of the tires are completely fine, but the center is bald. I personally think the tires are defective. I have a warranty on them.

ratha67 07-09-2008 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jessica90 (Post 2928551)

I just bought rear tires about half a year or so and the sides of the tires are completely fine, but the center is bald. I personally think the tires are defective. I have a warranty on them.

Sounds like too much air

The Jury 07-09-2008 06:14 PM

no alignment issues. No wear issues. This is just the wheel that pulls first. All the mercedes I have had torque on the pass rear by the way the diff let's loose under hard acceleration.

Nice even wear on it

The Jury 07-09-2008 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jessica90 (Post 2928551)
I just bought rear tires about half a year or so and the sides of the tires are completely fine, but the center is bald.

Overinflated. If the tire shop is the only people that have touched it, go back and make them replace them. When you have too much air in the tire it makes the center wear quickly. Too little air will make the outer edges wear too quickly.

sfclk 07-09-2008 09:14 PM

this post reminds me to keep any eye on tire wear. So far, after about 2 months, the rear tires are looking fine.

the front tires were just mounted last week.

I'm using stock springs with #1 pads all around with bilstein sports.

Maybe your shocks are blown causing the tire to wear out quicker than normal?