MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W208) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208-5/)
-   -   Factory Alarm (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/31499-factory-alarm.html)

rbroker19 02-23-2003 10:24 PM

Factory Alarm

This was really not what I wanted my first post to be about, but my car was broken into. Now I am forced to get an aftermarket alarm. Any recomendations. I heard that clifford is good. Also if anyone in Miami area can recommend me a good shop.:mad: :(

mmgrad 02-23-2003 11:38 PM

Getting an aftermarket alarm won't prevent anyone from breaking into your car.

Preventing someone from stealing your car is the main objective, and I think the stock Mercedes system does a fantastic job at that.

Clifford 'was' a good company. It has changed ownership a few years back, and is now owned by DEI, which is the same company that does Viper alarms. Clifford has nice units, but they historically have lots of electrical problems.

But, I don't think you can truly integrate an aftermarket alarm into a newer MB. But if you find out that you can, please share. I'd like to know more about what options are out there.

LowRydeR 02-23-2003 11:56 PM

I have Aladdin 2000 alarm system which is a very powerful alarm system, it's very hard to install on a Mercedes so it's still not installed yet. From what I've heard is that newer mercedes-benz models are harder to set the remote engine start because of the factory alarm.

-Bruce

Pffelan 02-24-2003 06:26 AM

tint your windows with security film.

this will deter many thieves.

then fit 20" wheels and a bad exhaust - it will make them believe you are a drug dealer and they wont dare steal it. :p

rbroker19 02-25-2003 01:03 PM

The reason why I would put an aftermarket alarm is because when it went off we could not hear and also there is no motion sensor. My laptop, digital camera and palm where taken. Everything was hidden, so they must have followed me. I wanted to put aftermarket DVD/Navigation system and rims but now I am hesitant. Dam punks:mad:

2001CLK 02-25-2003 01:13 PM

take it as just plain bad luck...

The factory alarm IMO is Very loud.
I agree with mmgrad.. stick with your stock alarm..

cheers!

mmgrad 02-25-2003 02:27 PM

Originally posted by rbroker19
The reason why I would put an aftermarket alarm is because when it went off we could not hear and also there is no motion sensor. My laptop, digital camera and palm where taken. Everything was hidden, so they must have followed me. I wanted to put aftermarket DVD/Navigation system and rims but now I am hesitant. Dam punks:mad:
If you registered for Tele-Aid, then they'll call you when the alarm goes off. I wasn't, and when someone jacked my rims this past weekend, there was no one for them to notify. :(

Seriously, It doesn't matter what kind of an alarm you have. If they intend to do a SMASH-N-GRAB job, no alarm can help you.

You should try and keep valuables in the trunk, out of sight. The trunk is less accessible, unless they break the lock.

rbroker19 02-25-2003 05:26 PM

How much is the tele-aid and what exactly does it cover. I hope you had insurance for your rims.

DCarrera 08-05-2008 06:28 AM

Alarms are mostly worthless.

When is the last time you did something when you heard a car alarm go off in the neighborhood, or anywhere else for that matter.

I used to install Clifford's back in the day, when they were good solid systems (late 80's). Pretty familiar with alarms and installing them but, never felt I needed one myself.

Now I have a factory POS alarm in the 430 that won't shut-the-****-up. So my alarm goes off in front of my house a few times. Hell, I even heard it and thought 'damn punk-ass kids alarm.. I should shoot that thing'. Turns out it was my car. My neighbors didn't call me or do anything about the sounding alarm.. hell, even I did not do anything about it, LOL.

Point? They are good at making noise but, if there isn't anyone who cares, what's the point? :nix:

clk430convert01 08-05-2008 09:26 PM

You just resurrected a 5 year old post. Does disabling the tow sensor prevent the unwanted alarms ?

DCarrera 08-07-2008 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by clk430convert01 (Post 2978541)
You just resurrected a 5 year old post. Does disabling the tow sensor prevent the unwanted alarms ?

I know I dug up the past. Using the disable tow sensor button does not seem to help. But it also does not act like it accepts the input about 10% of the time so I'm not confident it's really being disabled.

Someone else mentioned the hood sensor so.. maybe that's the culprit.