CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Question about replacing the headlights for 1999 CLK 320.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK 320
Exclamation Question about replacing the headlights for 1999 CLK 320.

I wanted to know if I change to a replacement aftermarket headlights, would there be any problem with the lighting system and electronic of the car? Also, where is the best place to get it done? Like at a detailing shop? How long does it usually take? Anyone know a good place to do it in LA? Thx.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
It is extremely easy to change out the headlights and is actually just plug and play with the wires. The hardest part of the install is taking the bumper off and even that is pretty easy and straightfoward if you follow the instructions left in of your other posts.

Greg
Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 PM

1999 CLK 320
Re:Question about lights

Which one is better to get between the cheese grater kind or the halo kind? My car is white btw. Also, what type of light bulbs these two headlights use? Do you know any place that I can get these headlights and the lightbulbs for cheap?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
I have the cheese grater since they were the very first ones to come out years ago but if I were you I would by the Halo ones and leave the Halo portion unwired (Just my opinion).

The headlights will not come with any bulbs but you will be able to pull out your old bulbs from your original Headlights and place them into the new Headlights.

As far as a cheap place goes, I have not been in the market for a new pair so I wouldn't be able to help you there. I would start searching on Ebay though.

Greg
Old 03-08-2010, 11:02 PM

1999 CLK 320

So you think that the Halo one look better than the cheese grater? Also, why do you suggest me to not unwire the Halo? You think that if I use the normal headlight, it will be better? For the Halo headlights, I pretty much have option to use either Halo or normal headlights right? If I decide to use Halo, do I need to buy a bulb for that?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
I think the Halo gives a more factort headlight look unlike the cheese grater which can be a little too bright/flashy. The reason I stated about not hooking up the halo portion is that it is a concept/idea that was taken from the BMW cars that have the Halo lights installed from the factory.

The HALO portion is not a usable light that you can drive with at night. It is a very low lit LED ring that is more for show and not meant for night time driving. So...you do not buy any bulbs for it because it uses an LED bulb to light up the ring to look BMWish.

So, this light will still function as your normal lights and hookup will still be pretty straightforward. The HALO LED ring portion was the only extra connection that would have gave you problems on where to hook up. If you do decide to use the HALO ring then most people just hooked them up to the side bumper lights.

As for using the normal headlight it all really depends on how old or cheap your bulbs were in the first place, I suggest buying some Sylvania Silverstars for replacement and brighter, whiter light. The next step-up would be to buy an HID KIT but that a whole other subject.

Greg
Old 03-08-2010, 11:36 PM

1999 CLK 320

As for the Sylvania Silverstars light bulbs, do you mean the H7 ones for both low and high beams?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:31 AM

CLK 430
Hi, got your message. I agree with Greg, the halo projector look better. I had the black housing ones. And yes, it was really easy to do. I personally didn't use the halo part, cuz well, I didn't want to be a BMW poser, but thats my own thing. There are so many people that have halos on their cars, so it really doesn't matter, its just up to you. All I did was cut the halo wires and siliconed em. Then it was just merely plug and play, all I had to buy were the adapters which I got off ebay, and were only like $7 or something like that. which were for the xenon bulbs that were in my stock headlights. If you already know how to re-wire things, you shouldn't have to take it somewhere, and you can just do it yourself. I would give yourself a couple hours to be on the safe side, but really shouldn't take you more than but an hour to do. Hey, if I can do it, I'm sure you can too!!! Let me know if you have any questions.

oh and answer to the other question you had, no I never had any electrical problems or anything after they were installed. I heard that the adapters might, but I never had any problems.

~Sarah
Old 03-09-2010, 03:17 AM

1999 CLK 320
Originally Posted by DevilsAngel
Hi, got your message. I agree with Greg, the halo projector look better. I had the black housing ones. And yes, it was really easy to do. I personally didn't use the halo part, cuz well, I didn't want to be a BMW poser, but thats my own thing. There are so many people that have halos on their cars, so it really doesn't matter, its just up to you. All I did was cut the halo wires and siliconed em. Then it was just merely plug and play, all I had to buy were the adapters which I got off ebay, and were only like $7 or something like that. which were for the xenon bulbs that were in my stock headlights. If you already know how to re-wire things, you shouldn't have to take it somewhere, and you can just do it yourself. I would give yourself a couple hours to be on the safe side, but really shouldn't take you more than but an hour to do. Hey, if I can do it, I'm sure you can too!!! Let me know if you have any questions.

oh and answer to the other question you had, no I never had any electrical problems or anything after they were installed. I heard that the adapters might, but I never had any problems.

~Sarah

Okay, so I guess I'm going to get a chrome Halo for my car then. Good idea? Anyway,if I use the regular light, not the halo one, what type of light bulbs I suppose to use? Sylvania Silverstars H7 lightbulbs for both low and high beams? Also, do I suppose to buy the adapter too if I plan not to use the Halo? If so, what kind of adapter do I need too buy? After you install the headlights, there is no "Check Engine" or "Missing lights" icon appear right? I also call the body shop near my house and they going to charge me $120 for replacing the headlights. Do you think that is too expensive? Do you know any places that do this and cheaper? Or can you do it for me and I pay you? I also live in CA, but in LA part. Also, for the headlights, do you know where I can buy it for cheap?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:27 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by milk42
Okay, so I guess I'm going to get a chrome Halo for my car then. Good idea? Anyway,if I use the regular light, not the halo one, what type of light bulbs I suppose to use? Sylvania Silverstars H7 lightbulbs for both low and high beams? Also, do I suppose to buy the adapter too if I plan not to use the Halo? If so, what kind of adapter do I need too buy? After you install the headlights, there is no "Check Engine" or "Missing lights" icon appear right? I also call the body shop near my house and they going to charge me $120 for replacing the headlights. Do you think that is too expensive? Do you know any places that do this and cheaper? Or can you do it for me and I pay you? I also live in CA, but in LA part. Also, for the headlights, do you know where I can buy it for cheap?

I think that you will definitely be happier with the chrome housings for sure. You just have no black in your theme, so I just don't think the black ones will look right. When I put mine in, I didn't buy any bulbs at all. They came with city lights already, and I used my stock H7 bulbs, and high beam bulbs. Personally, I think its a waste of money to pay a shop to do it, but thats just me. I always like to try and do everything myself before I hand her over to someone else. But if you feel more comfortable with a shop, then $120 doesn't seem that bad. I'm not familiar with too many places that would do, all my connects are back home in Oregon. I suppose I could help you if ya want. Just gotta plan. I live in Coto de Caza, Orange County area. As far as buying the actual headlights, I got mine through a group buy on benzworld a while back when they first came out, I know that they sell em on ebay now, and that would probably be your best bet.

Here is the link to the adapters that I bought so I could use my H7 bulbs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H7-to...Q5fAccessories
Old 03-10-2010, 04:55 AM

1999 CLK 320
Originally Posted by DevilsAngel
I think that you will definitely be happier with the chrome housings for sure. You just have no black in your theme, so I just don't think the black ones will look right. When I put mine in, I didn't buy any bulbs at all. They came with city lights already, and I used my stock H7 bulbs, and high beam bulbs. Personally, I think its a waste of money to pay a shop to do it, but thats just me. I always like to try and do everything myself before I hand her over to someone else. But if you feel more comfortable with a shop, then $120 doesn't seem that bad. I'm not familiar with too many places that would do, all my connects are back home in Oregon. I suppose I could help you if ya want. Just gotta plan. I live in Coto de Caza, Orange County area. As far as buying the actual headlights, I got mine through a group buy on benzworld a while back when they first came out, I know that they sell em on ebay now, and that would probably be your best bet.

Here is the link to the adapters that I bought so I could use my H7 bulbs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H7-to...Q5fAccessories

So for the city light that come with a bulb, do you mean the one that you put in a small side of the headlights? So they didn't give you the light bulbs for the big headlights? If you can help me install, how much are you going to charge me? I plan to buy SYLVANIA SILVERSTAR ULTRA H7 light bulbs, but don't know if I suppose to buy for both high beam and low beam? lol.If I use the Silverstar, do you think I still need to buy the adapter? And for the using the headlight, do you think it a good idea to use both the angel eyes and the normal lights? Or you think that I should use the normal light only? Hey, maybe you can me me on AIM or MSN,so we can talk about this more. AIM SN:nutnaree79 and MSN SN:divagirls2@msn.com.

Last edited by milk42; 03-10-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
I guess we all assumed that you already had the H7 bulbs in your car and did not have factory installed XENON Headlights.

If you take a look at the back of the healdights you should be able to see a Ballast and a sticker that states HIGH VOLTAGE or Zenon or something to that effect. Or you can take a picture for us of the back of the healdight so that we can tell you what you currently have. This is very important and will determine of you need that adapter or not.

If you have the normal healdights like most of us then you will not need any adapters whatsoever and will most likely be PLUG AND PLAY.

Greg
Old 03-12-2010, 02:11 AM

1999 CLK 320
What about the parking light bulb, where can I buy the whitest and good one? I don't want to use the yellow kind. I found this one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
-Not sure if I can use it with my parking light? Anyone use this b fore?
Old 03-12-2010, 11:02 AM

CLK320, Honda Ruckus, pinto & BMX
how much questions do you have?
i think greg explained it perfectly!.. go with halo projectors and leave the rings unwired...
1st to do... get your headlight and find a place that will install it.. if the headlight doesn't come with bulbs, im sure the shop will use the bulbs from your factory headlights...

2nd... then look at the lighting color.. if you feel you have the need to change the color to super whites... cause the yellowish ones are keeping you up at nights.. then change them... but get the headlights first...
Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 PM

1999 CLK 320
^^ hahaha at this guy with his Rusnak plate and dirty laundry in the trunk.. I know the feeling!!!

Last edited by SQad; 03-23-2010 at 11:08 PM.