CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

car won't start from cold

Old 09-22-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
car won't start from cold

Hi Guys over the past 2 mornings my car hasn't started from cold but keeps cranking over when trying. Only when the sun warms the car will she start!

Also my temparature gauge reads 80c even when cold.

I'm thinking temperature sender faulty, but I noticed a broken (by hardened and snapped) vacuum tube on the front of the engine. The tube is black, about 3mm in diametre and 6in long. It curves under the bottom of the plenum chamber (the 8 piped shape dome on the top of the engine) then into a small 1in box with 2 pipes in front of the engine.

I intend to replace both but I need to know if anything else is causing my car not to fire up when cold.

Help please!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
A quick update.

I spoke to a mechanic who said the hose in the front of the engine helps with engine breaking at speed and has nothing to do with cold starting although he couldn't rule it out 100% because he said the engine might be ingesting air from there causing the fuel to run lean meaning not enough fuel for a cold start or words to that effect. He just conversed with me so didn't actually work on my car.

The temparature sender was playing on my mind so I disconnected it and when I turned the key she started from cold!

Long story short £14 later (temparature sender ordered from All Parts depot in the UK) my car should be fixed tommorow when the part arrives.