CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Saddle bag Fuel lines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 430
Saddle bag Fuel lines

I have a 2000 CLK 420 W208 convertible. I had to change the passenger side fuel sending using because It was leaking and gave me a ECU Code. So with just 100k miles I decided it's best to change both passenger and driver side units. Well in doing so when I was removing the driver side unit from underneath I had a issue with the two lines which are connected to the sending unit on the inside of the take. There are two nylon hoses which connect to the to the sending unit and because of age or being continually submerges in fuel one of them broke. And the repairs seems quite difficult via the small hole for the sending unit. So can anyone tell where these two hoses go. One is larger then the other and it was the small hose that broke. Is there an easy way to fix this even if I remove the tank and do it from above. Removing the take is quite a lot more work. looks like driveshaft, exhaust,. heat shields, tank filler neck, all have to be removed just to get the tank out just to fix One little hose. Do the tanks come out as two separate pieces. Can someone clarify what each hose does and where it goes to. is there a workaround I can do without having to remove the whole tank. or if I don't fix it and just hook up the bigger hose what is going to happen. any help here or schematics to show where these hoses goes or links to other threads on how to remove tanks would be very helpful. I have searched the forums but maybe i am not searching the right thing. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and sure I an fix the hose if I can just get to it but this nylon hose is just so brittle it just keep breaking so I know there has to be a fix;. Help Please.

2000 CLK 430 W208 Cabriolet....
100k Mi. All Stock.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 430
Help. anyone. with info on this subject.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
I've been a forum member since I purchased my A208 cabriolet new in 2001.

MB adopted the saddle bag fuel tank system and located it under the chassis floor in front of the rear axle, to provide for the ski pass through and fold down rear seatback features, although due to the roll bar mechanism, neither is available on the A208.

Only issues I'm aware of are; overfilling the fuel tank, which will clog an expensive charcoal canister and prevent filling the tank, for which there is a $10 work around solution and/or occasionally drive ability issues, due to clogged fuel filters, which also contain the fuel system pressure regulator, with knock off filter brands.

Perhaps the details of the saddle bag fuel tank's component locations and functions will be helpful to resolve your issue.

Last edited by Serndipity; 09-28-2023 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
@Serndipity

Great diagrams! My WIS died with a Windows 10 update. Which WIS version did you get these from and does it run under Windows 10?
Old 11-23-2020, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Hi MarcusF

Those diagrams were from the MB ISP portal (Starteckinfo.com) that hosted the training course for the new W208/A208 platform for their service technicians, in addition to service and repair, parts catalog etc..

The course was a large HTML document, which could be saved and OS independent, that provided the purpose, functionality and component details behind all of the major systems, from which a good shade tree mechanic can usually diagnose/troubleshoot/repair a W208/A208, sans the detailed step by step repair instructions provided with WIS.

Unfortunately, for some time now, the Starteckinfo portal is now only available, behind a paywall, on a daily, weekly, monthly or annual subscription basis.

In addition to updating the OS, Windows 10 updates occasionally breaks an application program, by removing and/or updating program component(s).

Have you tried reinstalling WIS or the backup copy (if you made one)?