MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W208) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208-5/)
-   -   W208 (Cab)Windows Roll down by themselves. (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/455064-w208-cab-windows-roll-down-themselves.html)

ChenZheng 07-09-2012 04:08 PM

W208 (Cab)Windows Roll down by themselves.

Good Day my fellow friends,

I am having a very unusual problem with my 1999 CLK 230K Cab. When im driving on an uneven or rough road or i go over a speed bump too fast or hit a pot hole or go around a corner to the right at more than 30MPH all 4 windows roll down at the same time and the convertible light flashes....

Please help me resolve this.....has anyone else experienced this and have solution? where and what to check.:confused:

LAWYER2 07-09-2012 10:10 PM

I have the same problem and I believe there is another gentlemen experiencing similar issues on the forum as well. Unfortunately, I have not found a solution on any of the forums. I have learned to live with it and be mindful of different variances of pavement. GL!

Redw20855amg 08-01-2012 04:56 AM

Bad SAM

ChenZheng 08-02-2012 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Redw20855amg (Post 5305080)
Bad SAM

bad sam? is that a part? if so where can it be found? what does it look like?

Redw20855amg 08-02-2012 11:49 PM

signal aquisition module theres a front sam and a rear sam

ChenZheng 08-04-2012 11:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by trudawg (Post 5275012)
I have the same problem and I believe there is another gentlemen experiencing similar issues on the forum as well. Unfortunately, I have not found a solution on any of the forums. I have learned to live with it and be mindful of different variances of pavement. GL!

Hi my friend. i do trust all is well and is pleased to announce that i have SOLVED THE PROBLEM...here is how.

STEP 1: Open Convertible Top.
STEP 2: Remove the suns visors on both sides of the vehicle.(6 screws total)
STEP 3: Remove overhead Panel.
STEP 4: Remove the overhead lighting cluster mounted by (4 screws).Tho NOT NECESSARY)
STEP 5: Check the Limit Switch and its mount for any play. (Mine was wobbly loose which explains why windows were rolling down every minute when driving.) Which kept the roof engaging and disengaging. Now i'm able to speed on any surface, go around any corner and enjoy my the cold air.

I have attached 3 pictures for some perspective. It is not a "bad sam" as REDWAMG mentioned and now i am able to enjoy my A/C. lol :y

Hope yours is this simple.

LAWYER2 08-05-2012 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ChenZheng (Post 5309656)
Hi my friend. i do trust all is well and is pleased to announce that i have SOLVED THE PROBLEM...here is how.

STEP 1: Open Convertible Top.
STEP 2: Remove the suns visors on both sides of the vehicle.(6 screws total)
STEP 3: Remove overhead Panel.
STEP 4: Remove the overhead lighting cluster mounted by (4 screws).Tho NOT NECESSARY)
STEP 5: Check the Limit Switch and its mount for any play. (Mine was wobbly loose which explains why windows were rolling down every minute when driving.) Which kept the roof engaging and disengaging. Now i'm able to speed on any surface, go around any corner and enjoy my the cold air.

I have attached 3 pictures for some perspective. It is not a "bad sam" as REDWAMG mentioned and now i am able to enjoy my A/C. lol :y

Hope yours is this simple.

NICE! Thanks for the update Chen. I will give that a try and report back!:bow:

Big City 03-17-2013 05:11 PM

All Four Windows Coming Down On Their Own

Thanks ChenZheng!

I had the same problem for months. Your fix solved my problem. The 3 bolts holding that switch were very loose. Hitting a bump or even turning a corner would move the switch, causing the switch activation lever to contact the convertible top latch, causing the "convertible top automatic window roll down" to activate. Tightening those bolts did the job.

Thanks again!

GatorMB 03-17-2013 09:04 PM

Glad to see it is fixed, and learn something new. I found some TSB listed in MBWorld from all data that had some input as well.

Cheers, Gator

ChenZheng 03-18-2013 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Big City (Post 5581356)
Thanks ChenZheng!

I had the same problem for months. Your fix solved my problem. The 3 bolts holding that switch were very loose. Hitting a bump or even turning a corner would move the switch, causing the switch activation lever to contact the convertible top latch, causing the "convertible top automatic window roll down" to activate. Tightening those bolts did the job.

Thanks again!

Your Welcome BigCity. I am glad I could help. Takecare my friend.

highfury 04-06-2014 11:20 AM

Thank You! This is why I love this forum. Always helpful and makes owning a mercedes enjoyable :)

kenhank 05-30-2014 06:32 PM

Good afternoon...I have the same problem - hit a bump or turn a corner and blam! The windows start goin' down frightening the bee-Jesus outta 'ya... I followed the above instructions...but all bolts and screw weren't loose.

Convertible top latch must be hitting the activation lever causing the contact to begin the top down process. I believe the windshield frame must be torquing some what causing the latch to make contact - thus telling me the latch must not securely latched down tight...

Any answers or experience with this problem...

Thanks ahead of time,

Ken

Aussiesuede 05-29-2017 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by kenhank (Post 6058238)
Good afternoon...I have the same problem - hit a bump or turn a corner and blam! The windows start goin' down frightening the bee-Jesus outta 'ya... I followed the above instructions...but all bolts and screw weren't loose.

Convertible top latch must be hitting the activation lever causing the contact to begin the top down process. I believe the windshield frame must be torquing some what causing the latch to make contact - thus telling me the latch must not securely latched down tight...

Any answers or experience with this problem...

Thanks ahead of time,

Ken

Loosen all 3 bolts and use hand pressure to push the module skyward/rearward as you retighten the bolts. If that doesn't completely solve the issue, then remove all 3 bolts and install a single washer on the single forward most bolt and retighten. That should move thew contact point closer to make a more secure connection.

ungermm 07-25-2017 07:37 PM

My windows still frequently roll down by themselves when driving. Sometimes it over railroad tracks or hitting a hole in the road. Usually, it's when the car rocks from side to side. It doesn't take much. I can expect the windows to do this when I'm stopped at an intersection and begin to accelerate while turning hard to the right. The windows may only go down a half an inch with one warning beep, go down half way, or go all the way down with a series of warning beeps.

I have checked for the loose micro switch mount, mine was tight. I did remove the bolts and put a washer between the front hole and the windshield top frame. I removed the soft top compartment in the trunk which has a micro switch on the passenger side. I thought if the micro switch was not engaged, the windows would not go down when the call for opening up soft top was initiated by the soft top switch on the console. My soft top doesn't work with the console switch anyway. I think the pump is fried.

I tested the front micro switch before reinstalling and found that when I probed the brown and gray wires there was continuity whether the switch was open or closed. This confused me. I cut the brown wire and found that when I had the probe on the brown wire at the switch and probed the gray wire that I only had continuity when the switch was pulled back, I'm guessing this is what happens when the soft top is latched to the top of the windshield. The cut brown end of the wire away from the switch, as well as the gray wire that wasn't cut, showed continuity to the ground of the body. So, I put everything back together and thought that I'd ask for help.

I could really use some help ... please

ungermm 07-27-2017 02:15 PM

Automatic window roll down kill switch?

I'm wondering if there would be a way to install a manually controlled kill switch somewhere in the electrical system to defeat the automatic window roll down feature in cases like mine. With the switch in one position it would not allow power to any windows and prevent them to roll down when not wanted. When you want to operate them you would simply change the switch to close the circuit and allow them to operate normally.

What do you think of this approach and where would a good place to break the circuit be?

Wait a second, wouldn't the circuit for the automatic roll down feature when lowering the soft top be separate from the window switches on the console?

GatorMB 07-27-2017 04:08 PM

I doubt it, The controls on the shifter console are limited and many of the I/O rides on the CAN BUS.
This thread is old but the repairs are valid.
Try getting as much information as you can and make a new post. dont cut any wires on these cars.

ungermm 08-02-2017 12:49 PM

Problem solved

My problem with the windows rolling down during driving has been solved. Last week I popped the top up a little and noticed this little threaded stud sticking up ...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6ca71e18b7.jpg

I knew where it belonged. This guide or post (not sure what it's called) screws into the soft top bracket on the outside of the latching claw. It had somehow come unscrewed and was resting into the hole of the mount above the windshield. The passenger side guide was missing altogether. I was able to make one out of a bolt, a nut, and a piece of plastic. The one on the left is the fabricated one.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2786cbf885.jpg

I installed them with washers, but maybe Loctite would be a better choice.

Petter Kjærstad 11-18-2020 04:51 PM

Thanks! that helped!

Mercnotworking 11-29-2020 12:33 PM

I have a spare one of those funny bolts if anyone would like one.