CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Lambo doors...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Old 07-29-2003, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430 & 2000 Expedition on 22's
You guys who swear off "rice" are funny anyways. Most of you are doing exactly what the ricers are doing; adding loud exhausts, tinted windows, rims, bodykits, sound systems. The only difference is your driving a more expensive car. Besides Civics and CLK's look similar, espeically a 1994 Civic EX and a CLK 320.

I'll expect a HUGE backlash for this....lol
Old 07-29-2003, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK, I don't agree that Civics look like CLKs, but I do agree about "rice" assessment. Anyway, there are Japanese cars that look ridiculous, however, there are also riced up Supras, RX7's, Zs, etc. that look awesome.... and modded MBs that look like ***. I like the way the Lambo doors look, however, I think I'd feel a little silly getting in and out of my car that way. I do hope someone on this board does it so we can all see how it ends up looking.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:08 PM

CLK 430
haha maybe we got off on the wrong foot I am not swearing off rice I agree with you that it would look good I just didn't agree at all with the argument you made. You said it isn't rice because its on lambos....I made the example that an ///m badge is on a bimmer so why cant you throw it on a civic? it isn't rice it looks good on the bimmer afterall. I am not one to criticize and badge everything as rice...but there are just some mods that are done so tastelessly they can only be refered to as rice.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:27 PM

I made a little picture to compare a civic and a 320. They're not exact but pretty close, I think you'll agree (obviously, I'm talking exterior only).

Let's facing you all bought over priced luxury civics.......wait......so did I. j/k
Attached Thumbnails Lambo doors...-compare.jpg  
Old 07-29-2003, 05:33 PM

CLK 430
heh sure they have the same overall shape...alot of cars look very similar I would say that any coupe with a back seat shares a same overall shape but you cant tell me if you saw a civic parked next to a clk that you would have a hard time telling them apart.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They're the same general shape b/c they are both coupes, but in real life, the Civic looks very different from a CLK. It's much smaller and has very different lines... on the other hand, if you were comparing the W209 to a new Accord coupe...lol.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:37 PM

Of course I could tell them apart. But more than once people have asked if my 430 was a Honda, when they were standing 10 feet away from the benz emblem. So a few of the un-educated public doesn't know the difference. As long as we know what we drive, that's all that matters, right?
Old 07-29-2003, 05:44 PM

CLK 430
Originally posted by cl_kruisin
Of course I could tell them apart. But more than once people have asked if my 430 was a Honda, when they were standing 10 feet away from the benz emblem. So a few of the un-educated public doesn't know the difference. As long as we know what we drive, that's all that matters, right?
For sure and thats what it always come down too what you like. Who cares if people think its a civic it looks good to you. Who cares if people think lambo doors are rice as long as you like em
Old 07-29-2003, 05:44 PM

CLK 430
Originally posted by Sleestack
They're the same general shape b/c they are both coupes, but in real life, the Civic looks very different from a CLK. It's much smaller and has very different lines... on the other hand, if you were comparing the W209 to a new Accord coupe...lol.
those cars are just too damn similar it is erie
Old 07-29-2003, 06:59 PM

05 g35 & 04 cl 500
Since it's on a mb maybe we can call them "gullwing" doors even though they open slightly diffrent. Further wasn't mercedes the first to create that style of doors. Lambo's maybe faster but old school sl 's much sweeter. Also I recall an m3 by hamman that had gullwing doors and it looked pretty good, and since in my opinion the new and especially the older clk look better than an m3 i think the gullwing doors on a clk would be a true "stunt" in every sense of the word.

Go for it man.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:07 PM

CLK 430
I believe these lambo doors are actually called scissor doors...but everyone knows them as lambo doors anyway
Old 07-29-2003, 07:49 PM

For sure and thats what it always come down too what you like. Who cares if people think its a civic it looks good to you. Who cares if people think lambo doors are rice as long as you like em
Ahem.

on the other hand, if you were comparing the W209 to a new Accord coupe...lol.
Maybe Mercedes is in in bed with the Honda engineers or vice versa.................

Since it's on a mb maybe we can call them "gullwing" doors even though they open slightly diffrent.
I personally would shy away from the "gullwing" term, since it reminds me too much of the ugly deloreans. Let's just call them "benz'o doors".

No matter what we call them, someone has to take the plunge and get them installed so the rest of us can know if they look good or not, hopefully Viktorious is the one. Just get one installed, so you don't waste too much money before you know whether you like them. heh
Old 07-29-2003, 08:00 PM

CLK 430
Just get one installed, so you don't waste too much money before you know whether you like them. heh
Lol yea screw the passenger you can bail out of the car in style as chris rock said "F*&K the passenger he ain't spendin all this money on this riiiide"
Old 07-29-2003, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
DECAH SUCKS! THEY STILL HAVE NOT CONTACTED ME!!! GRRRR....
Has anyone else had luck on this? Im trying to find out which door kit im using, because some say Accord kit, and by the looks of what cl_krusin did with the civic picture, it could even be a civic kit. This is so frustrating. Hahaha yes i hope to be the first with his, I know its going to look hot. Just imagine a black on black CLK430 with 19" AMGs and the door popping up. Imagine the looks on the guys faces when i roll up to the dealership! hahaha! This is merely to win shows etc.

Hell if the SLR can do it, why cant a CLK? Right?

Some people call it rice, some call it nice. But I think its hot, it would set the rest of the CLKs apart from mine.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Viktorious

Hell if the SLR can do it, why cant a CLK? Right?

I think it will look good, but using the SLR as a basis of comparison is not such a good idea. The SLR's styling is much more radical and more importantly, it is (will be) in an entirely different league in terms of engineering and performance. It has an abundance of bite to back up its bark. With doors like that, you expect a car to be a performer. Definitely want to see you do it. Just make sure they use quality parts and don't compromise your safety.

Last edited by Sleestack; 07-29-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:00 AM

Something i've noticed with the lambo doors is on the cars that have doors with a frame around the window, like the civic, they don't look that great. But cars with doors that have the glass exposed when open like a CLK, or BMW, it looks hot.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
Something i've noticed with the lambo doors is on the cars that have doors with a frame around the window, like the civic, they don't look that great. But cars with doors that have the glass exposed when open like a CLK, or BMW, it looks hot.
haha damn man, quit putting an influence on me!, pretty soon im going to roll up to Decah and demand lambo doors THAT day!
Old 07-30-2003, 12:35 PM
ktm

Actually, I don't have any mods on my CLK.

If I wanted a Civic, I could have bought one...or a riced up POS with a giant tailpipe. The "lambo doors" are often called scissor doors or more often jacknife doors. It depends on how the door opens, straight up from the Nader pin to form a semicircle without pulling away from the body are jacknife doors. Those that separate and move away upward over the roof and body (similar to some 50's MBs and DeLoreans) are gullwing doors.

Part of the reason (rightfully so IMO) that it is seen as rice is because of the way you describe the image in your posts. They are "lambo doors", so people will hopefully associate you with a lambo or other more prestigious vehicle. In an earlier post, you didn't want them called gullwings because that sounded less appealling. It's all about your image and what people think about you as a result of your rapidly depreciated investment in your vehicle.

Some people will certainly see you in some higher regard because of what you did to your car. Good for you for achieving your objective. It's a free country and you are certainly welcome to do anything you want to your car. Other people see it as tacky and tasteless and sad thing to do to such a well engineered vehicle. I respect your right to do it and you respect my opinion to not like it.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by ktm
Actually, I don't have any mods on my CLK.

If I wanted a Civic, I could have bought one...or a riced up POS with a giant tailpipe. The "lambo doors" are often called scissor doors or more often jacknife doors. It depends on how the door opens, straight up from the Nader pin to form a semicircle without pulling away from the body are jacknife doors. Those that separate and move away upward over the roof and body (similar to some 50's MBs and DeLoreans) are gullwing doors.

Part of the reason (rightfully so IMO) that it is seen as rice is because of the way you describe the image in your posts. They are "lambo doors", so people will hopefully associate you with a lambo or other more prestigious vehicle. In an earlier post, you didn't want them called gullwings because that sounded less appealling. It's all about your image and what people think about you as a result of your rapidly depreciated investment in your vehicle.

Some people will certainly see you in some higher regard because of what you did to your car. Good for you for achieving your objective. It's a free country and you are certainly welcome to do anything you want to your car. Other people see it as tacky and tasteless and sad thing to do to such a well engineered vehicle. I respect your right to do it and you respect my opinion to not like it.

Let's step back a minute and look at the whole picture to see how stupid this argument is. We are talking about a car door, that can open either up or out, pretty silly when you think about it.

If you consider your vehicle or any mod you add to it as in "investment", your out of your mind. A vehicle is one of the most terrible investments anyone will ever make. If you want to invest your money, buy a house or some stock. A vehicle is simply a toy and safe transportation.

From everything that has been said (not confirmed) the door kit should simply bolt on and not require and fabricating, which would lead me to believe everything could be turned back to stock in a days work.

Ricers do serve a purpose. Just like the mosquitoes, the insects, and so forth. They fill the gap between the Pinto's and the CLK's. If it wasn't for them there would be a lot more CLK's runnin' around and they'd lose their luster. No but seriously, we all should have respect for the Ricers. Atleast they are trying to have a custom car. Not everyone can afford a Benz.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:10 PM

CLK 430
well one of his main points, which I agree with is that he respects your opinion to think it isn't rice as long as you respect his opinion that it is rice. After all the recent back and forth argument about this is all due to people not respecting others opinions....Some will like it some will hate it (I think I would like it though I would have to see a Victorious )
Old 07-30-2003, 06:29 PM

Oh, I respect his opinion totally. If everyone liked exactly the same stuff, it'd be pretty lame. I'm just trying to pull him from the dark side...lol
Old 07-31-2003, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EUropean Freaks
Guys if you compare Benz to japanese cars like Honda or whatever you guiys think. Probably later in the future Im not going post anythings in this forum again.. hahaha.

or maybe some of you thinks that Benz looks like Honda's probaly you guys got somethings on your eyes!!! hahahaha

It will looks Damn hot on CLK!!

FOr everybody why doint we call tht doors Butterfly doors?>hahaha

btw if I have my CLK again I will definetaly do that things to be different from other CLK owners

Last edited by dronellis; 07-31-2003 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:22 AM

CLK 430
Oh, I respect his opinion totally. If everyone liked exactly the same stuff, it'd be pretty lame. I'm just trying to pull him from the dark side...lol
Lol I feel your pain hard to believe how some people wouldn't like it, it could be a little extreme for a clk I agree with that...but damnit I MUST see it, it just sounds too cool.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going. Just get the doors installed and post some pics. Believe me, 98% of us in here will be drooling once we see it done.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally posted by Samoan_Ridah
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going. Just get the doors installed and post some pics. Believe me, 98% of us in here will be drooling once we see it done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Quick Reply: Lambo doors...