MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W208) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208-5/)
-   -   Chrome Grille painted (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/63578-chrome-grille-painted.html)

BLACK2001CLK 03-15-2004 11:33 PM

Chrome Grille painted

Hey guys,
I would like to paint/chrome my grille black.
I went to the bodyshop and they give me an estimate of $250 just to painted, since it takes a lot of preparation and paid won't just stick to the chrome. Is there anytype of paint that will stick over chrome. What would be a solution?

PerformanceCLK 03-15-2004 11:42 PM

250 is very overpriced. From what I've heard, the only more permanant solution would be powdercoating, which may or may not work on the grill, and just painting it will result in chipping/spots. What I'm also curious about is if anyone has done like black chroming?

Daveskee 03-15-2004 11:54 PM

You have to find someone to beadblast the chrome off. Then it'll be ready for painting. Can't powdercoat the CLK grill due to the heat involved. The CLK grill is plastic and will melt. I had mine beadblasted and painted (incl the side markers) for $120 as a reference.

I do have a source for powdercoating in the East Bay (SF bay area). Very good prices. So if you want to powdercoat calipers, rotor hats, metal grills, or wheels, they're good for that. PM me and I'll point you their way.

Benzo 03-16-2004 05:51 PM

Can you post some shots of a black w208 with a blacked out grill? Thanks.

mmgrad 03-16-2004 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Benzo
Can you post some shots of a black w208 with a blacked out grill? Thanks.
click on the link in Daveskee's signature... he has pics of his CLK with the blacked out grill in there

BLACK2001CLK 03-16-2004 09:32 PM

Originally posted by mmgrad
click on the link in Daveskee's signature... he has pics of his CLK with the blacked out grill in there
That's exactly what I'm going for...
Dammit, can I just spraypaint it :wall:

ELENI 03-16-2004 10:37 PM

Originally posted by BLACK2001CLK
That's exactly what I'm going for...
Dammit, can I just spraypaint it :wall:

I just painted right over the chrome and now I'm having trouble with chipping and having to touch it up every couple of weeks. I would definitely look into getting it beadblasted first if it will prevent the paint from chipping. :wall:

ELENI 03-16-2004 10:42 PM

That's a pic of mine after I was done.

http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/pic...03122113PM.JPG

imemikey 03-17-2004 01:19 AM

i paid like 50-60 bucks for mine

Autostream 03-17-2004 02:05 AM

http://autostream.com/library/amg/DVC00079_small.JPG
http://autostream.com/library/amg/DVC00117_small.JPG

$10
a little sandpaper, some quality spray paint , and a lot of patience will do the trick perfect!
;-)

Daveskee 03-17-2004 02:06 AM

Like anything up front on our cars, you're gonna get chipping from rocks and debris no matter what you do short of something like Clearbra. If you don't beadblast the chrome though, its gonna chip much worse and is more likely to peel and flake off. I don't recommend spraypainting it.

Autostream 03-17-2004 02:33 AM

after the sandpaper, it'll be so scuffed, it wont look like chrome anymore...and it allow the paint to 'bite' the clear coat is what chips. A good thick coat with extra 'flex' and you'll never see a chip.

Josh K 03-17-2004 02:36 AM

autostream is correct, beadblasting, while good isn't 100% necessary - some scuffsanding and a good primer along with some hefty clearcoat will do a good job.

mmgrad 03-17-2004 02:38 AM

Originally posted by Autostream
$10
a little sandpaper, some quality spray paint , and a lot of patience will do the trick perfect!
;-)

haha... thats exactly what i was thinking... some good olde DIY mod....

Benzo 03-17-2004 03:56 PM

"Ahhhhaaaaaaahhhhh... There's no spoon, you can't eat the soup." Thanks for your help. Looks great btw. I am getting my car back tommorow and among other things- I had this done. I was a little leary about it but now I am psyched after seeing this. I had my side markers smoked instead of blacked out and am thinking about painting out the badging on the rear.

Anyone have experience painting brake calipers? I was told that I would have to redo them constantly. I am not ready to drop the cash to change them out just yet to brembos- anyone have any ideas? Thanks again!

Benzo 03-17-2004 03:56 PM

"Ahhhhaaaaaaahhhhh... There's no spoon, you can't eat the soup." Thanks for your help. Looks great btw. I am getting my car back tommorow and among other things- I had this done. I was a little leary about it but now I am psyched after seeing this. I had my side markers smoked instead of blacked out and am thinking about painting out the badging on the rear.

Anyone have experience painting brake calipers? I was told that I would have to redo them constantly. I am not ready to drop the cash to change them out just yet to brembos- anyone have any ideas? Thanks again!

Daveskee 03-17-2004 04:20 PM

Autostream,

There's "flex" in a can?

Considering it cost me $25 to beadblast the chrome off, I'd rather do that than sand and still have the chrome under it. The cost is the paint job. Prep is everything in paint work. You can still paint it yourself if you wanted after you beadblasted.

Benzo,

Powdercoat your calipers. No peeling.

mmgrad 03-17-2004 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Benzo

Yeah, like Daveskee said, powdercoating is best...

but if you want to save money and nto have to remove the calipers, just get a G2 brake kit and the results will last quite a long time....

A lot of folks here use that kit...

benzinoben 03-19-2004 02:49 PM

I forget, but if I remember, there are a couple companies that will can powder coat (if metal) or dip if plastic to a nice black finish. My buddy got his front end done on his H2 hummer. It looks tight. They did it in a black chrome type finish and it wasnt to damn expensive.

Benzo 03-19-2004 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Daveskee
Autostream,

There's "flex" in a can?

Considering it cost me $25 to beadblast the chrome off, I'd rather do that than sand and still have the chrome under it. The cost is the paint job. Prep is everything in paint work. You can still paint it yourself if you wanted after you beadblasted.

Benzo,

Powdercoat your calipers. No peeling.

Thanks alot. I actually picked up my vehicle and they didn't even have my front grille painted. I think I have decided against it as I am probably going to powdercoat my rims black. (every thing but the lip and bolts) I was quoted a price of $600 to powdercoat the set of rims, does this seem reasonable? Also, what should I expect to pay to have the calipers removed and powdercoated? I really want it done right. Thanks so much for all of your suggestions.

ps I havbe tried posting pics and it tells me that they exceed one byte so they are too large. I tried posting them individually to no avail. I am far from experienced with the digital camera. Any help?:wall: :D :D

Daveskee 03-19-2004 09:07 PM

I forget, but if I remember, there are a couple companies that will can powder coat (if metal) or dip if plastic to a nice black finish. My buddy got his front end done on his H2 hummer. It looks tight. They did it in a black chrome type finish and it wasnt to damn expensive.
Can you provide the name, ph# and address of these places? I've got something I'd like done but can't powdercoat because its plastic.

I was quoted a price of $600 to powdercoat the set of rims
That sounds high. Let me see what the place I've used charges just as a reference for you.

Josh K 03-19-2004 10:02 PM

$600 is a lot to powdercoat. I'm currently in the process of having my wheels powdercoated, and even with stripping the old finish, polishing the lip, masking the lip, and powdercoating the rest of the wheel with two stage powdercoat, it's running me considerably less than that from a shop that specializes in wheels.

If you were in SoCal, I'd recommend you to the shop, but you're in norcal.

BLACK2001CLK 03-23-2004 03:35 PM

So, I primed my grill yesterday. Took me about 4-6 hour to sand it.
I will try to get it done by the end of this week and post pictures.
I was unable to remove chrome completly, I was able just to make it look polished, pretty cool too.
In a fact, I will do same with headlamp rings tonight.

mmgrad 03-23-2004 05:57 PM

Originally posted by BLACK2001CLK
So, I primed my grill yesterday. Took me about 4-6 hour to sand it.
I will try to get it done by the end of this week and post pictures.
I was unable to remove chrome completly, I was able just to make it look polished, pretty cool too.
In a fact, I will do same with headlamp rings tonight.

why don't you use a power handsander... u coulda done the job in like 15 min... :D

Benzo 03-23-2004 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Josh K
$600 is a lot to powdercoat. I'm currently in the process of having my wheels powdercoated, and even with stripping the old finish, polishing the lip, masking the lip, and powdercoating the rest of the wheel with two stage powdercoat, it's running me considerably less than that from a shop that specializes in wheels.

If you were in SoCal, I'd recommend you to the shop, but you're in norcal.

You don't know the half of it, chief. I live in Florida, that would be quite a hike to Cali north or south!!!:D :D There aren't many shops to call around here- at least that I know of- any help with a shop in FL would be great.