CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

A suggestion on helping W208 the newbies

Old 04-15-2017, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
A suggestion on helping W208 the newbies

The W208 was in production, from 1998 to 2003 (e.g. coupes from 1998 to 2002 and cabriolets from 1999 to 2003).

While those of us who are either initial or long term owners have learned, when properly maintained, our W208s are pretty much bullet proof and a keeper for 200K+ miles.

Important: The required maintenance is detailed in the owner's manual, with one very important exception. Upon numerous subsequent failures in the transmission, MB later advised their recommendation from 'the transmission never needs to be serviced' to a "required service, each and every 40,000 miles".

Given that older MB depreciate deeply, due to the high cost of maintenance and repair and numerous W208s are currently selling for only a few thousand dollars.

However, at this time, all of the problems/fixes/modifications with the W208 have been discussed.

As a result, when most the newbies encounter a problem, that has previously been well discussed / solved, rather then search for the answer, they somehow believe they are the 1st and only/or are specially entitled.

This behavior only results in numerous dead end threads (e.g. mis-submitted to w209 with later refered to w208, numerous topics previously discussed with resolutions. the lazy who think their problem is is unique, but already addressed etc.

The number of dead ends, just makes using the forum search function more ineffective .

Unfortunately, the reason I'm writing this, is that I've been sucked into numerous newbie request for help, w/o any follow through, which was a huge waste of time and on my part, is no longer reason to contribute.

At this time, pretty much everything that might go wrong, has occurred, with a solution, which is why the forum is searchable.

Go figure.

Last edited by Serndipity; 04-15-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
I Agree that most areas are covered, but I do enjoy reading your suggestions to new members. The discouraging part is no response on the suggestions for fixes leading to bunch of dead threads. Problems with the convertible tops yourself, KLAUS, Gatormb, Aussiesude, and others have covered multiple areas of concern and troubleshooting. For Mods Ash, BabyBoix, JoshK, and Blackbenz among others have this area covered.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
burgca........right after I pressed the send key, I thought, oh s++++, there's going to be a lot of 'flames' in response.

I admit that when I purchased my CLK, it was because it made my heart go pitter patter and still does. I thought that given it's complexity (e.g. power roof, CANBus dependencies etc.), when the then 5 year or 50,000 mile warranty expired, it was time to move on.

I've been a long term forum member (e.g. since buying my 2001 CLK, new) and although the W208 has proven to be extremely bullet proof, as a shade tree mechanic, this forum has benefited me immensely. Whatever has been a problem since, has quickly been resolved with a forum DIY at low cost. Basically my cost of ownership, after the warranty expired, has worked out to be less than $300 / year (e.g. mostly PM).

IMHO, MarcusF has been and is and still is 'the most outstanding' forum contributor (e.g. additionally check out his CLK blog).

Lastly, I understand that the forum search function is very limited (e.g. returns are based on any/all search words entered).

The solution is use Google's advanced search instead; which provides the ability to search on key words by weighing and/or exclude words an exact phrase, by an exact phrase and web site.

As you mention, there is nothing more frustrating then trying to help a new W208 owner, that falls on deft ears.