CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Convertible top issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 clk 320
Convertible top issues

I have a 1999 CLK 320 cabriolet. If the car has not been used for a while, I turn the key and the red convertible top switch along with the head rest rear rollbars switch is lit and I cannot use any features such as power windows. If I remove the battery connectors let it sit for a little while reconnect the connectors start the car everything is fine and works properly as it should. Do I have a gremlin or is it something simple what do you think?
Old 04-21-2018, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
When the vehicle is started, both the power top and roll-bar switches will illuminate for short time, while the power top controller does a brief diagnostic test. If the test indicates that all of the necessary prerequisites, for power roof operation, are satisfied, the lamps will turn off. Continuous illumination, when the switches are not pressed, indicates the the self test facility has detected a system fault.

From your description (e.g. occurred when the car hasn't been used for a while but disconnecting/reconnecting the battery and everything works), it sounds like low battery voltage corrupted the digital messaging and/or voltage encoding, used by the various controllers on the interior CANBus.

How old is your battery?

This would easily occur, if your battery had diminished capacity and the power demands required by the engines's starter motor, dropped the vehicle system voltage to less than 11 volts.

If so, the alternator has recharged the battery sufficiently and disconnecting/reconnecting the battery reset the CANBus error condition.

Last edited by Serndipity; 04-21-2018 at 05:27 PM.