CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New mercedes owner and some questions

Old 09-30-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 clk 430
Talking New mercedes owner and some questions

Hi to all... just purchase my new Mercedes 1999 CLK 430 and I love it! just have some questions, Im new here, so please have patience.
1.- I did notice that my temperature gauge goes above 80C, right below the next line about (90C or 100C maybe) when traffic, but when is fluent or highway its little above 80C, read some forums but some say that is normal, some say that is not and need to replace thermostat or fluid change, Im here in california and the weather right now is about 95-85 fahrenheit, so is it normal ?
2.- My smart key is a panasonic and does not have red led on it, the problem is that only open passenger side, have to use the mechanic key to unlock driver side and trunk,
3.- trunk doesn't open by pressing the trunk key on remote, also the trunk button on the car wont open the trunk,
both the smart key and the valet key turn the car with no problem, but maybe I need to resync the remote or maybe the remote is and spare key also and I need to get a new one? i notice that this key in particular have no red sensor that you can see with your smartphone camera all is cover in plastic, it's has the triangle panic red button, the trunk key unlock and lock button and the mechanic key, is black with the side on chrome.
4.- also this car has aftermarket 17' BBS replica rims, and I did notice that the car shakes a little between 50 to 60 MPH, does it need the centric hubs too? I had that problem with my BMW and I Range rover and the problem went away by just installing the centric hub rings.

5.- oil service says its due on 65000 but is has been a year since last oil change according to the previous owner last recip by jiffy lube, should I wait the 65000 or do the oil change now since is been a year already

thanks in advance for taking your time to check my post

Thanks to all in advantage
Old 10-01-2018, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
1) I'd​​​ check the auxiliary fans. That's done by starting the car, pressing and holding both auto AC buttons, and seeing if the auxiliary fans turn on. They're loud and hard to miss.

2 & 3) If neither the driver's door nor the trunk open using the interior switches, then I'd guess it's a vacuum issue. If they both work fine using the switches, then it may be the key, but I have no experience with non-factory keys.

4) It sounds like you need hub centric rings.

5) Oil changes are required once a year or 10,000 miles - whichever comes first.

Congrats on the purchase. You may want to consider a full service - coolant, oil, plugs, filters, torquing the steering box, and a transmission service.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by MarcusF; 10-01-2018 at 09:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ellioth Zombye (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:20 PM

1999 clk 430
I was able to make the auxiliary fans to turn on by pressing the auto button on the climate control, they seem to work fine, I saw other post that said that the auxiliary fan will turn on on temperature above 103c or so, which I think my car has not reach yet. so is normal my temperature or will need to start thinking on a new thermostat?

Dash unlock doors seems to work fine, im able to open and close both doors, inside car trunk button does not work, do you think still that is a vacuum problem?

Thanks for your help
Old 10-02-2018, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Is your car a coupe or cabriolet?

If it's a cabriolet, by design, to keep the trunk lid from colliding with the soft top compartment cover, neither the fob or the trunk release switch (on the center console), will operate, if the soft top controller thinks that the roof's rear bow or compartment cover is not properly closed and locked.
Ellioth Zombye (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 10:24 PM

1999 clk 430
thanks for your reply... it is a coupe
Old 10-03-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
Originally Posted by Ellioth Zombye
5.- oil service says its due on 65000 but is has been a year since last oil change according to the previous owner last recip by jiffy lube, should I wait the 65000 or do the oil change now since is been a year already
With only one exception every time I've bought a used car or truck I've changed the oil, transmission and diff fluid, all the filters, the belts and hoses, flushed the cooling system and replaced the shocks and/or struts (they were probably due). Maybe overkill, but that buys a large slice of peace of mind. It's also an opportunity to check and correct everything else you might have missed in your pre-purchase inspection. At the least you know the hoses belts aren't likely to fail anytime soon and you know what brand and grade of fluids are in the car.

The one exception was the CLK we now own. I had the paperwork showing it had just received it's "B" schedule service and knew the car had been religiously maintained at the dealer since new.

Personally, I'd avoid the quick lube oil change stores. I've heard too many horror stories, which may or may not be true; I prefer to do it myself.

Last edited by jinark; 10-03-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Ellioth Zombye (10-04-2018)