MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W208) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208-5/)
-   -   Best scan tool or software for W208? (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/724363-best-scan-tool-software-w208.html)

shawnwes 10-17-2018 08:23 AM

Best scan tool or software for W208?

New to Mercedes ownership ('99 CLK 320 Coupe) and want to get a comprehensive scan tool or laptop based software that won't break the bank. Prepared to pay up to about $500 for the right unit.

I was spoiled with the VagCom software I had for working on a '02 Passat I owned and was wondering if there are any aftermarket tools similar to that?

Thanks,

shawnwes

Serndipity 10-19-2018 10:23 PM

shawnwes.......great question, because my suggestion is to proceed with much caution.

It wasn't very long ago that the only choice was the MB STAR diagnostic software (a.k.a SDS), that cost $xx,xxx to purchase or $x,xxx for an annual lease.

However, it would it see/reset every W208 module DT

-Powertrain P codes
-Network U codes
-Body B codes
-Chassis C codes

Through W208 production, as significant upgrades were made, they were tracked and updated via VIN.

As a result, numerous knock off versions appeared, some counterfeit, outdated, only worked w/ specific versions of Windows, included malware etc..

The good news is that in the $100 - $200 range, there are numerous scan tools available that claim to be able to read/reset full MB DTCs , including live data via just the OBDII connector.

As example

However, note the warning that it will not work with our W208 chassis.

The reason is that MB only implemented a subset of OBDII on the W208, that brought out only power, ground and a single ended K line to the OBDII connector (e.g. only sufficient to see emission faults). Additionally, at the time, MB used a proprietary software protocols that even made using the W208 38 pin engine bay diagnostic connector with a OBBII adapter problematic.

For MY's 2004 up, MB finally implemented full OBDII signalling and protocols, which likely make these newer scanners workable. When you read reviews, note the model and MY date.

You'll find additional details regarding the above at: http://www.mbcluster.com/Old_Website/Media_Diagnostics.htm

shawnwes 10-20-2018 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Serndipity (Post 7581582)
shawnwes.......great question, because my suggestion is to proceed with much caution.

It wasn't very long ago that the only choice was the MB STAR diagnostic software (a.k.a SDS), that cost $xx,xxx to purchase or $x,xxx for an annual lease.

However, it would it see/reset every W208 module DT

-Powertrain P codes
-Network U codes
-Body B codes
-Chassis C codes

Through W208 production, as significant upgrades were made, they were tracked and updated via VIN.

As a result, numerous knock off versions appeared, some counterfeit, outdated, only worked w/ specific versions of Windows, included malware etc..

The good news is that in the $100 - $200 range, there are numerous scan tools available that claim to be able to read/reset full MB DTCs , including live data via just the OBDII connector.

As example https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015DNAMT2..._t1_B00IUIDFSS

However, note the warning that it will not work with our W208 chassis.

The reason is that MB only implemented a subset of OBDII on the W208, that brought out only power, ground and a single ended K line to the OBDII connector (e.g. only sufficient to see emission faults). Additionally, at the time, MB used a proprietary software protocols that even made using the W208 38 pin engine bay diagnostic connector with a OBBII adapter problematic.

For MY's 2004 up, MB finally implemented full OBDII signalling and protocols, which likely make these newer scanners workable. When you read reviews, note the model and MY date.

You'll find additional details regarding the above at: http://www.mbcluster.com/Old_Website/Media_Diagnostics.htm

Thanks so much for the detailed response and links. Lots of great information to go through and learn.

Do you have any experience or knowledge about the Autel MS906BT? This was their customer service dept's recommendation regarding W208s. At about $1500 CAD it's above my original budget but not out of the question if it's the Swiss army knife of scanners & can help limit my trips to the garage with my well cared for 120k mile '99 CLK 320.

myworld 10-30-2018 12:23 PM

Carsoft 7.4

shawnwes 11-01-2018 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by myworld (Post 7590283)
Carsoft 7.4

Thanks for the tip. I see they have a V12 kit that seems like a pretty good deal for 195 euros.

The Fantom 11-04-2018 09:00 AM

Also curious and have been considering buying Carsoft v12. Are there any other options?

myworld 11-05-2018 11:11 AM

I don’t know about v12, some of this stuff won’t scan your car but Carsoft 7.4 with the box and an old laptop with a serial port defiantly will. I got one from rocketprice.net for 80 bucks. Laptop for 50.

Change78 11-16-2018 10:18 AM

Just make sure it will read everything alot of readers for mercedes wont do in detail scans on cars before 2000.

2000-clk 01-02-2019 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by myworld (Post 7595314)
I don’t know about v12, some of this stuff won’t scan your car but Carsoft 7.4 with the box and an old laptop with a serial port defiantly will. I got one from rocketprice.net for 80 bucks. Laptop for 50.

Can you give any more details on your experience ordering from this site?

I ordered the 7.4 multiplexer from them on 11/25/2018, after finding this post, for the similar price of $71.99 + $8.00 s&h. They have charged my account, but when I check the order on their site it still shows "Processing". Three separate email inquiries sent as replies from my order confirmation from them have all been ignored and calling the phone number on the website gets a recording "This account has been compromised, please contact your customer service representative." I have now requested a refund mainly just to start the clock on that process expecting further frustration with this situation.

Meanwhile, my 320 is still sitting in my driveway stuck in 1st gear, after towing her home, new conductor plate, new connector, reseal oil pan, new oil and filter, new trans fluid and I'm stuck driving my old work truck without heat... So if anyone in the Huntsville AL area has this tool or equivalent and would be willing to help me out, please let me know!

myworld 01-03-2019 02:35 PM

Email them. They were hella slow, but came through. I thought they were a scam after I paid, but they’re a middle man for some Chinese company.

2000-clk 06-29-2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by myworld (Post 7644815)

Email them. They were hella slow, but came through. I thought they were a scam after I paid, but they’re a middle man for some Chinese company.

Never got the "Chinese" box, never got any response from Rocketprices, never made any headway with FL BBB, never got my money back.

Did order v12 from Belgium but can't seem to get it to read any of the driveline modules. And none of the listed options mention the transmission or TCM.. I did run erase codes on the 3 driveline options anyway and the car drove and shifted normally for about 5 miles then stuck in 3rd gear and shifter stuck in D. (Tapping left or right didn't select gears on dash display) Got back to my neighborhood in case it stuck in 1st again, turned ignition off then restarted and it went back to normal for the mile or 2 back to the house. Still no comm to modules, no check engine light, no malfunction... going to reinstall on an XP laptop Monday so hopefully the acrobat reader will function and maybe make a difference with the scan. I currently have zero confidence in reliability or what might be going on.

FYI.. if you're ordering v12, get it from their Ebay store, it will be a little cheaper than directly from their website.

shaunmlavery 07-12-2019 04:52 PM

This dual diagnostic stuff Mercedes was doing back then nearly kept we away from my CLK55. I was well aware of it and it still bothers me a bit. I'm a BMW guy and they did similar stuff but I had a DIS setup for those cars. Something tells me a StarTek computer is in my future. I have access to scanners but they won't dig deep enough at times to get to certain things and that bothers me.

Mario_C 07-13-2019 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by shawnwes (Post 7579176)
New to Mercedes ownership ('99 CLK 320 Coupe) and want to get a comprehensive scan tool or laptop based software that won't break the bank. Prepared to pay up to about $500 for the right unit.

I was spoiled with the VagCom software I had for working on a '02 Passat I owned and was wondering if there are any aftermarket tools similar to that?

Thanks,
There are many model OBD2 scanners on the market. visit this site to choose one for you
shawnwes

OBD2 is good because it has some benefits. Another reason that the scanner can be so small and has Bluetooth to uses your device as the screen. You can use this with Android phones, iPhones, Android tablets, or iPads

convicted 03-31-2020 02:13 PM

This is why I love my Audi......VAG Com. Best ever!

I was hoping someone would make something similar for the W208.

shaunmlavery 03-31-2020 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by convicted (Post 8020053)
This is why I love my Audi......VAG Com. Best ever!

I was hoping someone would make something similar for the W208.

VAGcom is great, yes as is all of RossTech but at the end of the day, its an Audi. Sorry but not sorry. I loved my TDI's and appreciate all the S/RS models but god do I despise working on those things. And you want to talk part prices, get ready for VAG in any sense, they will bend you over. My AMG is cheaper to keep on the road than some VW's we had in the family. Hmmm. I'll take the AMG all day. Not to mention, built better and much more fun to drive.

If we could get a scanning setup like VagCom though. I will probably find a knock-off of a StarTek out there for mine. I'm not in a rush so there is that. I don't really need the coding aspect so that should help out with finding one. I just want to be able to get into more modules. I'm tired of being led to the front door and not having access to anything else.

convicted 03-31-2020 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by shaunmlavery (Post 8020140)
VAGcom is great, yes as is all of RossTech but at the end of the day, its an Audi. Sorry but not sorry. I loved my TDI's and appreciate all the S/RS models but god do I despise working on those things. And you want to talk part prices, get ready for VAG in any sense, they will bend you over. My AMG is cheaper to keep on the road than some VW's we had in the family. Hmmm. I'll take the AMG all day. Not to mention, built better and much more fun to drive.

If we could get a scanning setup like VagCom though. I will probably find a knock-off of a StarTek out there for mine. I'm not in a rush so there is that. I don't really need the coding aspect so that should help out with finding one. I just want to be able to get into more modules. I'm tired of being led to the front door and not having access to anything else.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how tuner/DIY/user friendly my CLK is, but I have to agree to disagree with you on Audi. I don't know how much experience you have with automotive tuning/DIY, but aside from the fact that Audi is German (EG: All German auto makers do things different from virtually everyone else - including tools & fasteners), I love them.

As with any car: it all comes down to what specific model you're talking about. I still have an Audi that has 375,000 miles on the stock engine and it's running 22psi of boost to all four wheels, yet has zero drive-ability issues and has all the luxury it had when it rolled off the showroom floor. Perfect luxury DD and awesome stress reliever.

At the end of the day: MB and Audi are basically family anyway (if you know the history of the two).

I love them both.