CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Repaired EIS, car won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repaired EIS, car won't start

Hi all, I've had issues with my eis not starting and got some advice from here, thanks. It would worsen in cold weather so I expected the issue to be a defective eis. I found a guy on eBay who claimed able to pull your code and install it in another eis. I did this. I sent him my eis and key and he sent one back. My keys will turn in this one no problem, but the car will not start. The very first two times I tested this, the car did start, but cut off in a matter of seconds. Now, no start. Key can turn all the way, a.c./heat blower will work and radio turns on, but car won't crank. Am I right to assume it's security related? Any advice on how to proceed? I've reached back out to the guy to see if he can return my original eis.

Also, if it means anything, my radio code will not work. Not sure if this further proves any anti-theft security measures kicking in or not.
Another thing, I broke a connector piece when I removed my original. I cut out the piece from a 99 c class and connected it to the piece from the car. See picture.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I'd say you got snookered....now its off to the dealer for a new one.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It works!

So I told him the first one he sent didn't work and he sent another. Same issue, but then I realized anything powered (lights windows, etc) were working slow or dim. I replaced the battery and the first one he sent me is working. Car starts and remains on no issues. I tried the second, and that doesn't work. I told him I'll send it back so him so he has another one he can reprogram for another customer. The second one has a different number (model #?) Than the first one and my original one. I'm guessing that's why it doesn't work.