MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W208) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208-5/)
-   -   2000 CLK bumper cover differences (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/736570-2000-clk-bumper-cover-differences.html)

toothgrisle 02-21-2019 01:23 PM

2000 CLK bumper cover differences

I own a 2000 CLK 320 and am suffering the all-too-common, inattention to the concrete log found at the far point of many parking spaces. You hardly notice running onto it, but backing off can pretty much tear the front bumper (cover, anyway) off.
The local body shop has the $1,700.00 + estimate, with about a third of that in RECOND bumper cover (208 880 02 40 - w/o AMG w/washer). I’m assuming that it will not be NOS, but hopefully will at least be OM.
A quick CL search reveals a neighbor (60 miles away) who has exactly the same year and model that he’s parting, with an unblemished front end.
Here’s the rub, his bumper cover doesn’t have the headlight washer option. No caps in the cover like mine. I have lost one of the caps on mine and can see what I guess is part of the sprayer underneath. Why that would be installed and then capped is beyond me.
So, the obvious question is, can my headlight washer/sprayer be removed, allowing the use of the neighbor’s pristine bumper cover at a much, much better price?
Many thanks to everyone at my go-to source for reliable answers to all questions Mercedes Benz!

2MERKS 02-22-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by toothgrisle (Post 7687552)
I own a 2000 CLK 320 and am suffering the all-too-common, inattention to the concrete log found at the far point of many parking spaces. You hardly notice running onto it, but backing off can pretty much tear the front bumper (cover, anyway) off.
The local body shop has the $1,700.00 + estimate, with about a third of that in RECOND bumper cover (208 880 02 40 - w/o AMG w/washer). I’m assuming that it will not be NOS, but hopefully will at least be OM.
A quick CL search reveals a neighbor (60 miles away) who has exactly the same year and model that he’s parting, with an unblemished front end.
Here’s the rub, his bumper cover doesn’t have the headlight washer option. No caps in the cover like mine. I have lost one of the caps on mine and can see what I guess is part of the sprayer underneath. Why that would be installed and then capped is beyond me.
So, the obvious question is, can my headlight washer/sprayer be removed, allowing the use of the neighbor’s pristine bumper cover at a much, much better price?
Many thanks to everyone at my go-to source for reliable answers to all questions Mercedes Benz!

I wouldn't recommend removing that part, not knowing what lies beneath or issues in the near future.
just my opinion.
R,
2merks

toothgrisle 02-24-2019 07:05 PM

BUMP

Still questioning

2MERKS 02-24-2019 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by toothgrisle (Post 7690002)
Still questioning

could you post a few pics of bumper
(yours)?

02CLK 03-27-2019 12:43 AM

I think you should be fine to remove the headlight washer system. Just disconnect the wire for the pump. The pump on mine is messed up, so I dont even use it anyway.

Or if you really want to keep the system, just carefully cut squares openings exactly like your old bumper into the replacement bumper, and use one of your caps, and buy another online (seem to be about $40-50 each)