MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W208) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208-5/)
-   -   TPS does not work if I push full-throttle (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/740744-tps-does-not-work-if-i-push-full-throttle.html)

wbflowers 04-04-2019 08:42 AM

TPS does not work if I push full-throttle

I have a 2001 CLK 320 (C208). While driving, If I push the accelerator peddle to the floor the accelerator peddle responds very slowly to any input from my foot. I believe I've seen TPS codes in the past. Do I just have to replace the TPS or is there some other part that needs replacement?

Chillside 04-05-2019 02:35 AM

Give us some more details, does the transmission do the kick-down when you floor it ( does it have a delay to it )? or is it just slow even if you floor it from 1st gear? and what does slow mean, does the tachometer go up in revs but acceleration seems slow or the actual reving process is slow?

wbflowers 04-05-2019 10:27 AM

I'm sorry, I guess I was hurried and did explain the issue in detail. So, here's the scenario of what I'm experiencing. 1) car's warm; 2) right-foot presses to the firewall on the accelerator; 3) transmission responds correctly and "kicks-down" into a lower gear; 4) right-foot lifts off of accelerator; 5) right foot pushes accelerator about one inch toward firewall; 6) engine responds to throttle position after about about 2 seconds, and slowly ramps-up to "requested" throttle position. Basically, after I floor the accelerator pedal once, the following inputs from from the accelerator pedal are VERY sluggish. I have to pullover, and shut the engine off, and then back on again, and then the accelerator pedal works again (unless I "floor it"). Thanks in advance.

Serndipity 04-05-2019 04:24 PM

When the car drives fine under normal acceleration, but after you press the gas pedal to the floor or try to accelerate quickly or floor it, the engine stops responding, RPMs drop and it may even go into limp mode. That's because the ECU detected a malfunction, which In most cases, was is caused by either a faulty signal from the pedal position sensor or throttle position sensor. Turning off the engine and restarting, reboots the system and usually fixes the problem.

The throttle body is where the throttle valve is mounted, which is what control the amount of air that enters the combustion chamber. When the throttle body malfunctions the wrong amount of air enters into the engine causing problems with air/fuel mixture ratio.

Additionally, MB utilizes a drive-by-wire system, whereby a faulty gas pedal sensor may develop similar symptoms as a bad throttle position sensor.

First, try the throttle reset procedure:
  1. Turn the key to ON position (position 2), but don’t start the car.
  2. Press and hold the gas pedal for at least five seconds. Keep the pedal pressed.
  3. Turn ignition off but do not remove the key. Now release the gas pedal.
  4. Remove key. Wait a minute before you restart your engine.
This allows resetting the High and Low points of the gas pedal. It also resets the transmission shift points to factory settings. Don’t worry you can’t cause any damage with this reset.

Hopefully, this may fix your problem.

If you determine the throttle position sensor is faulty, in most cases you will get code P0120 or P012x.

The TPS is mounted near the front left strut, in the front of the brake fluid reservoir. I would first clean the electrical connection, but if it needs to be replaced, it takes less than 10 min and doesn’t require any special tools other than a 10mm socket and a screwdriver.

Chillside 04-06-2019 03:44 AM

from what you've described it's either MAF sensor, or oxygen sensor[s] ( there are 2 of those, left bank and right bank ), or.. combination of both

wbflowers 04-08-2019 12:43 PM

Thank you Serndipity, that "reset" worked. I followed the directions you sent, and then went for a test drive. I floored the accelerator several times, and afterwards the engine responded to accelerator input just fine. Again, thanks!