MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W208) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208-5/)
-   -   Convertible soft top issues CLK320 2001 (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/741626-convertible-soft-top-issues-clk320-2001-a.html)

MontrealW208 04-12-2019 08:53 PM

Convertible soft top issues CLK320 2001

HI.

This is my first post as I recently took ownership of my aunt's low miles CLK320.

I started to have issues with the roof.

It will not go down. As soon as I unlatch it, the windows go down but the roof does not move. The roof switch is also lit red, solid. It blinks when I try to operate it.

The fuses are fine. The pump fluid level is fine. The rear headrests operate well.

I have also tried unplugging and replugging the battery after waiting 20 minutes in an effort to clear the memory of faults. Did not work.

Not too sure what my next steps should be.

Guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Serndipity 04-14-2019 10:32 AM

MontrealW208......Welcome to the forum, where you'll find a treasure chest of help and information, on the maintenance and repair, that will keep the W208/A208 running strong.

The power roof's controller has built in diagnostics, upon which the integrated amp in the main switch, indicates the status (i.e. functionality) of the soft top.

Specifically, the status is analyzed each time you start the vehicle (or turn the ignition switch to position 2), the lamp will turn on briefly and then turn off.

Thereafter, the lamp should only be continuously illuminated, when the switch is pressed, only during the time frame that the top is being operated and until it's properly locked.

However, continuous illumination, when the switch is not pressed, indicates the following fault possibilities:

- A defect in the soft top controller or 1 of it's 3 fused circuits.
-That the soft top or the soft top compartment cover is not properly locked.
-A defective or wiring discontinuity with the main soft top switch.

If the lamp flashes while the switch is being pressed, indicates the following fault possibilities:

-Slow flashing, of once per second, signals either that the top has not been properly locked or if attempting to open the power roof, when the front bow locking handle has not been released manually.
-Fast flashing, of three times per second, signals that the controller thinks that either the trunk is not closed and locked or the luggage partition is not properly closed.

Additionally, the lamp will also flash, once per second, when the switch is not pressed, if the soft top is not properly locked.

MontrealW208 04-14-2019 08:12 PM

Any idea on How this could be validated?

-That the soft top or the soft top compartment cover is not properly locked

thx!

rustybear3 04-14-2019 10:57 PM

Could be a limit switch problem. The procedure to re-synchronize the power roof's position/limit switches is done by opening and closing the roof manually.
When you open/close the roof manually, all the position/limit switches are reset in the proper order. Your manual should have a section on closing your roof manually.

Serndipity 04-15-2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by MontrealW208 (Post 7732097)
Any idea on How this could be validated?

-That the soft top or the soft top compartment cover is not properly locked thx!

You should be able to correctly diagnose, troubleshoot and repair your power roof, just using the previously posted diagnostic information provided by the condition of the lamp in the main power roof switch and the stages of roof operation.

The position/limit switch actuations that are required for a particular stage of roof operation to occur and proceed, can be determined with just a multi-meter (set to measure ohms) at the controller connector (which also verifies that there is not a wiring issue and that their actuation's are in sequence with the controller's programing) .

You'll find the documentation and details in the last couple of pages at https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ilures-10.html

MontrealW208 04-15-2019 11:45 AM

Thanks for all this support. I will tackle this next. I will pursue lowering the roof manually first and see if works to go back up using the switch.

cmg2 04-17-2019 01:00 AM

Top opens correctly but does not close

Hi Guys ,
My top goes down as it is supposed to do but it does not come up and close. It simply does nothing when the S84 button is pressed. Button does not either light or flash when pressed.
I have manually closed the top as per owner’s manual, hoping that system will reset but it does not. It will open and fold, following correctly all sequences (as described in the 77.30 Complete soft top; opening, function description found in other posts) but it simply “dies” once the opening sequence is completed.
Checked for leaks and hydraulic fluid seems to be at the correct level at the pump's container.
I don’t know if there are any switches/sensors or other electrical/electronic components within the system that are not involved in the opening sequence but are used in the closing sequence that may be faulty.
Any ideas or recommendations are very much appreciated!
Thanks!!

MontrealW208 04-17-2019 08:19 AM

To close the loop on this;

After manually lowering and putting the top back up + leaving the car battery unplugged overnight, I replugged the battery and the top works just fine...

Thanks for the help.

Glad to be part of the forum.

Cheers.

Serndipity 04-17-2019 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by cmg2 (Post 7733979)
Hi Guys ,
My top goes down as it is supposed to do but it does not come up and close. It simply does nothing when the S84 button is pressed. Button does not either light or flash when pressed.
I have manually closed the top as per owner’s manual, hoping that system will reset but it does not. It will open and fold, following correctly all sequences (as described in the 77.30 Complete soft top; opening, function description found in other posts) but it simply “dies” once the opening sequence is completed.
Checked for leaks and hydraulic fluid seems to be at the correct level at the pump's container.
I don’t know if there are any switches/sensors or other electrical/electronic components within the system that are not involved in the opening sequence but are used in the closing sequence that may be faulty.
Any ideas or recommendations are very much appreciated!
Thanks!!

From what you have said (e.g. no illumination of the S84 power roof operating switch), it sounds like there may a problem with either a voltage supply to the controller or a S84 faulty switch.

Voltage to the controller is supplied by 3 fuses (e.g. 2 are located in the trunk's F4 box and 1 in the engine bay F1 box).

Begin by checking, with a multi-meter or power test light, that there is voltage present on both sides of each fuse.

cmg2 05-01-2019 01:51 PM

Top opens correctly but does not close

Serndipity thanks for the quick reply.
I tested the 3 fuses for the soft top. Two in the trunk and one in the engine. All 3 fuses were ok and all have voltage on both sides. Used a 12v circuit tester.
Is there a test that you can think for the S84 switch? Or this previous test confirms the S84 is faulty?
Thanks

lumanikus 09-30-2019 11:29 AM

These videos helped me a lot, especially the Top Hydraulics