CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W208 Locked Car, Trunk Won't Open and New Door No Key. Best Way To Enter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk55 e430
W208 Locked Car, Trunk Won't Open and New Door No Key. Best Way To Enter?

So I have recently replaced the door on my 2002 CLK 430 and took the battery out today. I have NEVER been able to get the key to open, even after hours of trying. So the car is locked, can't get in with key or pop hood to power for FOB.

Any ideas on how to get in, all my work equipment and my phone is in there! Thanks!

Old 04-26-2019, 01:51 PM

clk430
there are a couple of videos on the internet I have seen of people drilling holes in the trunk just behind the license plate and then reaching in to pop a button to open the trunk.

I was recently locked out of mine when my battery died but fortunately i was able to get enough of a charge into the battery to allow the remote to work and open the trunk. I am guessing that as you have removed the battery this isn't an option for you so you may be left with drilling holes. I did wonder about going in through the back seats but because of the convertible roof there is no way through.

good luck

Last edited by Paul Crompton; 04-26-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:45 PM

clk55 e430
Thank you for the reply. The whole forgetting the drivers door was new (to this car) really threw me for a loop. The front bumper is close to off so I was hoping I could pop the hood somehow as I can't even get in to the back seats which are already down and I forgot to mention I have the Coupe version. Oh well, all my belongings and phone are in there, might have to get the drill ready!
Old 04-26-2019, 05:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
Originally Posted by Sky Dee
So I have recently replaced the door on my 2002 CLK 430 and took the battery out today. I have NEVER been able to get the key to open, even after hours of trying. So the car is locked, can't get in with key or pop hood to power for FOB.

Any ideas on how to get in, all my work equipment and my phone is in there! Thanks!
On my 03 320 Cabriolet, the metal key that is a part of the electronic key opens the driver's door manually. Are the 2002 cars different? I'm assuming you swapped the door handles and lock mechanism when you switched out the doors. If not perhaps a locksmith can get it open with a slim jim.

See the picture in the attached link to see the metal key I'm talking about.

https://www.remotesremotes.com/produ...0aApaDEALw_wcB

Last edited by jinark; 04-26-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:08 PM

clk55 e430
Originally Posted by jinark
On my 03 320 Cabriolet, the metal key that is a part of the electronic key opens the driver's door manually. Are the 2002 cars different? I'm assuming you swapped the door handles and lock mechanism when you switched out the doors. If not perhaps a locksmith can get it open with a slim jim.

See the picture in the attached link to see the metal key I'm talking about.

https://www.remotesremotes.com/produ...0aApaDEALw_wcB

You assumed wrong, I made the brilliant choice (or lack thereof) to not replace the handle/lock from the original door. I ended up getting it open, I just messed around with the trunk lock forever and it just popped!
Old 04-27-2019, 09:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
You assumed wrong, I made the brilliant choice (or lack thereof) to not replace the handle/lock from the original door. I ended up getting it open, I just messed around with the trunk lock forever and it just popped!
OK. All's well that end well. I'm glad you got it open.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:03 PM

clk55 e430
Originally Posted by jinark
OK. All's well that end well. I'm glad you got it open.
Thank you for your kind words and assistance. For anyone else in this position, my key didn't work in trunk and I seldom used it. I popped it by using a screwdriver in the lock mechanism and just wisting counter-clockwise until it went!
Old 04-29-2019, 05:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Thank you for your kind words and assistance. For anyone else in this position, my key didn't work in trunk and I seldom used it. I popped it by using a screwdriver in the lock mechanism and just wisting counter-clockwise until it went!

This has happened to many forum members...In the future, just leave one of the seats unlatched (little red tab stays up on seat)..that way, you can always get into the trunk
Old 04-30-2019, 10:06 PM

clk55 e430
Originally Posted by cindyclk
This has happened to many forum members...In the future, just leave one of the seats unlatched (little red tab stays up on seat)..that way, you can always get into the trunk
Both seats weren't just unlatched, they were down all the way. It didn't really help me out at all.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:57 PM

you couldn't just crawl into trunk and press the green emergency push button?
Old 05-06-2019, 01:49 PM

clk55 e430
you couldn't just crawl into trunk and press the green emergency push button?
I don't know how I would have crawled into the trunk at all? If I was able to I wouldn't have made this post.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:57 PM

well that's such a nice response to someone trying to help...you won't get much help with that chip on your shoulder. Your response should have been, How do I get into the trunk...I would have told you how...easy and has been discussed many times on forum...but I guess that's not the way you thank people.
The following users liked this post:
Serndipity (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 06:04 PM

clk55 e430
well that's such a nice response to someone trying to help...you won't get much help with that chip on your shoulder.
I'm working/multitasking and wrote that quickly. I understand it is hard to read attitude and delivery of responses/comments online, but if you re-read my reply as more shocked or surprised that this (crawling into the trunk) is possible it may make more sense. Maybe if I changed would to could or I just added a "Wow" to my response, (ex: "Wow, I don't know how I could have crawled into the trunk at all?) it would have been different, I'm not really sure but it wasn't a negative connotation to you please do not take it that way. Actually if you check my short post history here (and posts like #7) almost every reply I have starts with a Thank You.

Your response should have been, How do I get into the trunk...
This was what I was asking before and I specifically mentioned this exactly multiple times. It was very frustrating and I was pretty worried to say the least

I would have told you how...easy and has been discussed many times on forum...but I guess that's not the way you thank people.
I didn't mention in my replies but I definitely researched this ad nauseum before I made this post. It was my bad assuming you knew this, nothing negative my fellow Mercedes enthusiast!

So yeah, could we let bygones be bygones and get to the good stuff? I would highly appreciate that and it would be amazing for others to know! I would absolutely love to hear about this if you really can tell me how or point me to some links! Is there a latch or something where the spare tire is? I don't really know where you were asking me to crawl into the trunk? If "easy and has been discussed many times on forum" I completely missed any posts here about that, most threads are about drilling/cutting/mutilating the CLK to pop the trunk. I wasn't being lazy, I researched for quite a while and never found anything about how you can crawl into the trunk in my situation (let alone it being easy).

With all that being said maybe you can see how I am tremendously surprised there is another way to crawl into the trunk, and why my response was phrased that way. If we could please chalk it up to a misunderstanding, I would really like to have your offer to show me the way to do this!

Thank you for your time and I am extremely looking forward to your response, I will check back often to see it! Have a nice week.