CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ESP not turning off. HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes Clk 230k W208
ESP not turning off. HELP!

Hi all,

So I have a Clk 230k, manual gearbox, year 2000.

I had the car restored recently, new brake system, new suspension, linkage, bushings and so on. One ABS sensor was changed. The car now runs perfectly fine but there is one small issue.

Whenever I try to press the ESP OFF button nothing happens, the triangle in the dash doesn't light up and ESP is still fully functional. The triangle bulb/light works because it lights up with the key in position 2. What is more annoying is that yesterday the button worked, ESP was off, the triangle was lit up and the car allowed the tires to slip a bit but after a few minutes of driving it turned back on the the button is again useless.

The car isn’t throwing any codes at the mechanic shop.

Does any one have any suggestions? No fuses are blown btw.

Thank you!
Old 04-10-2024, 12:21 PM

Mercedes Clk 230k W208
Any help would be much appreciated
Old 04-12-2024, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 248 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
...I would first check for loose wiring, then fuses, next reset battery, finally check manual for probs associated with issue...You could do any of the in any order. GL
R,
2Merks
Old 04-13-2024, 07:01 AM

Mercedes Clk 230k W208
Originally Posted by 2MERKS
...I would first check for loose wiring, then fuses, next reset battery, finally check manual for probs associated with issue...You could do any of the in any order. GL
R,
2Merks
Hi, thanks for the tips!

None of the fuses look burnt and the battery reset didn’t do anything.

Do you by any chance know where to find a wiring diagram or can you point me to what wires/connectors to check? Abs wires seem to be okay.

One more thing, do you know what is the ABS fuse/relay, maybe plugging that out and back in would reset the computer and solve the issue?

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-13-2024, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by Bogdan230k
Hi, thanks for the tips!

None of the fuses look burnt and the battery reset didn’t do anything.

Do you by any chance know where to find a wiring diagram or can you point me to what wires/connectors to check? Abs wires seem to be okay.

One more thing, do you know what is the ABS fuse/relay, maybe plugging that out and back in would reset the computer and solve the issue?

Thanks a lot!
Try starting car, and turn steerling wheel to left, and right all the until you cant turn wheel see if it helps.

Old 06-10-2024, 04:22 PM

Mercedes Clk 230k W208
Originally Posted by 2MERKS
Try starting car, and turn steerling wheel to left, and right all the until you cant turn wheel see if it helps.

https://youtu.be/jxVKLiZwBzE?feature=shared
I have finally managed to solve this issue.

The car had developed a bad fuel leak due to one of the hoses located after the fuel pump cracking.

After changing the leaking fuel hose the ESP on off function started working again. This leads me to think that the car probably was into some kind of limp mode due to the fuel pressure drop caused by the leak.

Attached are some photos of the hose and the replacement. I was told the previous shop that changed the original hose has used a bad quality replacement not rated for gasoline and that is probably what caused it to burst.

I hope this will help others facing similar issues.

The following users liked this post:
2MERKS (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by Bogdan230k
I have finally managed to solve this issue.

The car had developed a bad fuel leak due to one of the hoses located after the fuel pump cracking.

After changing the leaking fuel hose the ESP on off function started working again. This leads me to think that the car probably was into some kind of limp mode due to the fuel pressure drop caused by the leak.

Attached are some photos of the hose and the replacement. I was told the previous shop that changed the original hose has used a bad quality replacement not rated for gasoline and that is probably what caused it to burst.

I hope this will help others facing similar issues.
Age of those hoses will get us each and every time! Awesome job!! Thanks for the update!
R,
2Merks