CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Getting sub and amp installed, questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Getting sub and amp installed, questions

I'm getting a subwoofer and amp installed on Monday. Even though I bought warranties, I'd rather prevent the problems. I know if I go to the dealer with some kind of issues, they'd give me a hard time because of the minor electrical modifications. I am assuming that during installation, the battery has to be unplugged. A couple of months ago, I had my battery unplugged so I could get the HID's and other lights installed. My ESP, ABS, and SRS went dead and my windows and sunroof weren't working right. The power steering also went randomly dead on me. The dealer didn't notice that I changed my lights and I told them that it just happened for no reason and I didn't touch the battery. The dealer had to change the ESP unit and some other computer unit. I doubt I'll be lucky enough to get away with it this time.

So, before I do anything, do you guys have any advice I could give to the installer. I'd like to prevent as many problems as possible and have a care-free time enjoying my new subwoofer. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 - W163
I'm pretty sure you can get away with a system in the trunk, I've had my system for a good 3 years and my dealership hasn't said a word.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

I have unplugged my battery recently, regarding ABS ESP thing all you have to do is to turn your steering wheel fully left, then fully right and then neutral and the light will go off.
As for the windows you just need to fully open them and close, should be ok.

Brgds

Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
I'm getting a subwoofer and amp installed on Monday. Even though I bought warranties, I'd rather prevent the problems. I know if I go to the dealer with some kind of issues, they'd give me a hard time because of the minor electrical modifications. I am assuming that during installation, the battery has to be unplugged. A couple of months ago, I had my battery unplugged so I could get the HID's and other lights installed. My ESP, ABS, and SRS went dead and my windows and sunroof weren't working right. The power steering also went randomly dead on me. The dealer didn't notice that I changed my lights and I told them that it just happened for no reason and I didn't touch the battery. The dealer had to change the ESP unit and some other computer unit. I doubt I'll be lucky enough to get away with it this time.

So, before I do anything, do you guys have any advice I could give to the installer. I'd like to prevent as many problems as possible and have a care-free time enjoying my new subwoofer. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Thanks everybody. I got 2 flat tires yesterday thanks to crappy weather and debris on the road, so my car is currently at Mercedes getting new rims put on (19" TSW Bremma Chrome!!! ) as well as fixing a couple of power steering malfunctions. So, once it gets out I'll be getting the subwoofer and amp installed.