CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help- Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help- Oil Leak

So i just got my car 1 month ago exactly. it has 1500 miles and now there's an oil leak on the engine. the dealer says its the head gasket. they said the head was defective from the manufacturing process and that they ordered a replacement to come next week. so i have no car for another week. i'm not too familiar with this stuff. is replacing it a big job? or is this a big problem for a new car? if so, is there a possibility they can breach the contract and give me another clk550.

any recommendations? i'm calling mbusa....
Old 02-06-2007, 05:49 PM

06 clk500
they should've at least given you a rental!!! thats BULL****. You might be able to take advantage of the lemon law!
Old 02-06-2007, 05:50 PM

'10 c63,'03expedition,ducati999,22'Donzi
Did they at least give you a loaner.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Almost a Member!

i just got off the line with the dealer they said it was the cylinder head not the head gasket...apparently they're linked together. they did give me a rental and i had them upgrade me from a c-class to another car. i meant to say i don't have my car not a used & abused rental. tomorrow they'll call me with an estimate on how long it will take for the repair. benz said all we can do is document your findings and you'll need to call the dealer and see what they can do. the service manager said it's too early to determine any other problems with the car but to call benz and express your frustration so they can document it and forward it to the dealership.

all this is bullsh$%. there has to be an easier way. i don't think the lemon law will apply yet, since they're sticking to their end of the contract and repairing under warranty. plus it's a first time problem. if it happens again, i'll start working on the lemon law. i told benz that i don't want the car anymore because i don't trust it and am willing to switch over to another of the same model if they can arrange that. obviously they said NO at this time.....those reps are a bunch of a$$h*&S. they're friendly and the minute i started complaining, they just became quiet and cold. mind you, i was talking very slowly and in a calm manner. it could have just been me, but have you guys noticed anything like that b4 with them? it's as if MBUSA is their own company or something.

i'm gonna try and get my monthly payment reduced for this month since the car might be at the dealership for over a week. i'm waiting on the service manager's call tomorrow.

Last edited by xsta_c; 02-06-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 clk320
thats terrible to happen only at 1500 miles.

as far as the lemon law is concerned... in California ( i do not know where you reside), but the car needs to be taken in for service 3 or more times, and the dealership must be able to duplicate the problem each time and attempt to repair it.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:12 PM

05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
Originally Posted by xsta_c
i just got off the line with the dealer they said it was the cylinder head not the head gasket...apparently they're linked together.
The head gasket sits between the cylinder heads and the block... On a V8, there's 2 cylinder heads and thus 2 head gaskets... The head gaskets function is to provide a seal between the heads and block and keep the oil flowing in the oil passages and the coolant flowing in the coolant passages... If a head gasket blows, or the head isn't flat to the block deck, oil or coolant can leak out of the block... Or, if the head gasket blows or the head isn't flat to the block, OIL AND COOLANT CAN MIX TOGETHER INSIDE THE BLOCK WHICH IS VERY BAD FOR THE ENGINES INTERNALS... If it happens while you are driving, it's usually accompanied by huge plumes of white-ish gray-ish smoke billowing out of your exhaust ... It's hard to believe an engine tech didn't catch the warped head at the factory unless it's barely out of spec... If I were you, I'd be asking the Shop Tech ( not the manager ) if there was any coolant/oil mixing as a result of the bad head... If so, I'd be suspect of the life of that motor... If not, you probably are OK other than being really pissed off that a brand new car has that serious of a problem...
Also, it's not as intrusive a repair as if your crank or pistons got hurt
(bottom of the motor) but it does reqire the removal of the intake manifold, the head that's bad, head gasket, exhaust manifold on that head's side, all the driven components like alternator, ps pump, brackets bolted to the head, and any of the components that are in the way...

Last edited by sdunham; 02-08-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Almost a Member!

thanks...i'm still waiting word on the car. it's been there since monday and they said they ordered a part for it. as of last night they said i might get it back tomorrow or next week. i plan on calling them again tomorrow morning to see what's going on with it.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:23 AM

none
Is this a common issues? My clk350 is just outside of it's warranty period. Oil has sprayed all over the engine bay. Not yet been able to find the cause.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 AM

CLK 500
Originally Posted by sdunham
The head gasket sits between the cylinder heads and the block... On a V8, there's 2 cylinder heads and thus 2 head gaskets... The head gaskets function is to provide a seal between the heads and block and keep the oil flowing in the oil passages and the coolant flowing in the coolant passages... If a head gasket blows, or the head isn't flat to the block deck, oil or coolant can leak out of the block... Or, if the head gasket blows or the head isn't flat to the block, OIL AND COOLANT CAN MIX TOGETHER INSIDE THE BLOCK WHICH IS VERY BAD FOR THE ENGINES INTERNALS... If it happens while you are driving, it's usually accompanied by huge plumes of white-ish gray-ish smoke billowing out of your exhaust ... It's hard to believe an engine tech didn't catch the warped head at the factory unless it's barely out of spec... If I were you, I'd be asking the Shop Tech ( not the manager ) if there was any coolant/oil mixing as a result of the bad head... If so, I'd be suspect of the life of that motor... If not, you probably are OK other than being really pissed off that a brand new car has that serious of a problem...
Also, it's not as intrusive a repair as if your crank or pistons got hurt
(bottom of the motor) but it does reqire the removal of the intake manifold, the head that's bad, head gasket, exhaust manifold on that head's side, all the driven components like alternator, ps pump, brackets bolted to the head, and any of the components that are in the way...
Have you done a head gasket replacement on our cars before? I'm beginning to suspect that I would probably need to replace that or the seal on mine. I can smell burning oil from my engine bay as well and the passenger's side engine has some oil stains.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Wherever you guys see the oil leaked on your engine please take some pics so eveyone know and maybe they have the same problem. Is it close to the spark plug ?

Andy
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
Wherever you guys see the oil leaked on your engine please take some pics so eveyone know and maybe they have the same problem ?

Andy
+1