MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W209) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209-43/)
-   -   Insurance company declared my CLK "totaled" (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/21974-insurance-company-declared-my-clk-totaled.html)

marv800 11-11-2002 11:20 PM

Lana,

Actually I'd be happy to donate parts off the car to anyone.. except I don't think the insurance company would approve. As it stands now I think the insurance company will give me what I paid for it. That actually sucks because if I want to get a replacement for it today, I'll have to go to the secondary market where everyone who is selling is charging more than sticker every where I have looked :( :( :(

karl k 11-11-2002 11:41 PM

I just looked over the annual Miami International Auto Show.

FIRST CHOICE - Two stunning new vehicles for a TOTAL of $50,000:

1. The new 2003 G35 Infinity Coupe, 280 HP/250 Torque - w/48/60,000warranty: $35,000 and up, and

2. The Honda ELEMENT, a fun vehicle similar in appearance to the MB Gelaendewagen - but many innovative features such as SUICIDE side doors for $15,000.

SECOND choice: 2003 E 500 for $55,000.

CLKisCooL 11-12-2002 03:12 AM

go for M5 .. !!

Mr. Xristo 11-12-2002 08:44 AM

I am confused? the vechicle was caught in water, so why does the interior look like someone went inside, and took it apart?

Sucks that you lost the vehicle.

Unfortunately, the dealership will be making more money on these "totaled" vechicles:

1) made money when they sold it to you

2) will make money for "totaling" it via insurance and taxes

3) will make more money when they part it out and sell the parts.

marv800 11-12-2002 01:00 PM

This is mere speculation, but I theorize that the reason my car looks like someone took apart the interior is because the following:

The dealership took apart the interior.

They had to in order to diagnose what was ruinied electrically. Actually I don't care that the dealership makes money. I just hope the insurance company doesn't.

pocholin 11-12-2002 02:18 PM

Originally posted by marv800
They had to in order to diagnose what was ruinied electrically. Actually I don't care that the dealership makes money. I just hope the insurance company doesn't.
I like that thinking, they already make a lot of money!

Pkorkis 11-12-2002 09:39 PM

I think I'm gonna get an M5... I'd really like to get an M3 but the damned engines keep blowing up on them.
Get a 2002 or 2003 M3! The only reason the engines blow up is because people break them in incorrectly. You have to not pass i think its like 90 mph and 4000 or 4500 rpm for the first 2000 or something like that. If I were you, I would get the M3...and break it in within the first two weeks of having it. But if you don't want to get the M3...GET THE M5! Get and M car...you already have a Benz...

FrankW 11-13-2002 01:25 AM

get the M3 if you want to save money. get the M5 for luxury and roominess the M3 can't have.:)

Silver_Lana 11-14-2002 01:09 AM

Lana,

Actually I'd be happy to donate parts off the car to anyone.. except I don't think the insurance company would approve. As it stands now I think the insurance company will give me what I paid for it. That actually sucks because if I want to get a replacement for it today, I'll have to go to the secondary market where everyone who is selling is charging more than sticker every where I have looked :( :( :(

Well i was kinda joking but hey.. if its possible... i would love to take the wheels off your hands since it will probably be scrapped since it was considered totalled. :D
Let me know of any developments and good luck choosing your next car. Here's a thought though.... why dont you wait a few more months and get a W211 E55 AMG?

marv800 11-16-2002 06:16 PM

Just bought my new car...

I finally bought a new car...

2003 M3 Cabriolet
SMG II
Navigation
Xenon HID's
19" Rims
HK Sound
etc, etc... I hope I like it as much as the CLK :rolleyes:

pocholin 11-16-2002 06:48 PM

Re: Just bought my new car...

2003 M3 Cabriolet
SMG II
Navigation
Xenon HID's
19" Rims
HK Sound

Cool and congratulations!

Pkorkis 11-17-2002 03:23 PM

2003 M3 Cabriolet
SMG II
Navigation
Xenon HID's
19" Rims
HK Sound

Nice pick!!! I'm sure you'll like it just as much...if not more! Hope to see ya on the BMW forums now!

FrankW 11-17-2002 04:45 PM

2003 M3 Cabriolet
SMG II
Navigation
Xenon HID's
19" Rims
HK Sound

you'll definitely love it. I've driven my friend's SMG M3 once, and i love it, not as much as I love my c32 though...:D

how much was the OTD price, btw?

Callaway 11-17-2002 06:13 PM

WOW,what a rare find for a Mercedes wrecker- a new CLK ready to be stripped!!

A lot of the parts can be saved on your car.All the panels,chassis and the wheels and a lot of the plastic and running gear.The insurance company will probably get quite a bit for the car when they onsell it to a Mercedes wrecker or parts dealer.

All the electricals will be trashed as well as any carpets,cloth,leather trim but a lot of the car including the engine and suspension,etc will be stripped down ,cleaned up and sold off.

Congratulations on your latest purchase!!

marv800 11-18-2002 03:01 PM

Frank, the price out the door was $66,218.39

I went and bought the extended warranty just in case the engine problem is not fixed by BMW... not that I plan to keep it that long, but it should be good for resale value.

FrankW 11-19-2002 10:57 PM

Frank, the price out the door was $66,218.39

I went and bought the extended warranty just in case the engine problem is not fixed by BMW... not that I plan to keep it that long, but it should be good for resale value.

$66k for a cabrio...wow, that's a nice deal. One of my friend got his jet blk M3 SMGII coupe for $64k OTD. he didn't even get the extended warranty yet, but the car IS fully loaded except the 19 optional rims.

marv800 11-20-2002 07:58 PM

OK,

So a few days after owning the M3, I have to say I like it. Its not nearly as "civilized" as the CLK500, but the handling is remarkable. Defiinitely has more "chic appeal" than any other car I have owned. But one thing I don't like is the sound of the engine.... Why does it sound like a weed-eater on steroids? What's up with that? My Acura has a brawnier sound than the M3? Anything I can do about this without making it sound ricey?

pocholin 11-20-2002 10:44 PM

OK,

So a few days after owning the M3, I have to say I like it. Its not nearly as "civilized" as the CLK500, but the handling is remarkable. Defiinitely has more "chic appeal" than any other car I have owned. But one thing I don't like is the sound of the engine.... Why does it sound like a weed-eater on steroids? What's up with that? My Acura has a brawnier sound than the M3? Anything I can do about this without making it sound ricey?

Well, it is a n/a 6 cyl. so I don't think there's much you can do about the sound. :(

nickv 11-21-2002 12:04 AM

My bro has an E46 M3, he hates the raspy sound at 5K RPM, I completely love it ~ you can hear it growling "I'm gonna whip your ass!!!" Great purchase, have fun with it!

marv800 12-02-2002 07:47 PM

OK, after having the M3 for about 2 weeks now, I can report that the CLK500 and the M3 are dynamically different vehicles that were obviously built for different purposes. I like them both but the Mercedes definitely felt more lush, but the BMW feels more refined, in terms of design bugs (save and except the engines blowing every now and then). The wipers are great, the ergonomics are top-notch, the trunk lind doesn't rocket up, and my knee does not hit the seat controls. Performance is outstanding, but will probably be the death of me.

However, I do have one major complaint... This "upgraded" Harman/Kardon stereo system... Oh my godness gracious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE HELL WAS BMW THINKING??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE CONVERSATION WENT SOMETHING LIKE THIS... "GEE HANS, DO YOU THINK WE COULD MAKE THE SOUND SYSTEM SOUND LIKE A GERBIL ORGY BEHIND EVERY SPEAKER GRILL? I DUNNO FRANZ... LETS TRY, AND IF WE SUCCEED, LETS CHARGE EXTRA FOR IT!"

The sound is just sinful... back in 1988, I had a Mazda B2200 pickup truck... and I swear to you all the stereo sounded better than the piece of **** in the M3.

Why would H/K let BMW hurt its reputation by putting such obvious garbage in a production car as a "premium" sound system. If I have to listen to that thing again, I swear I'll slit my wrists.

matt5555 12-02-2002 09:20 PM

marv800 did you by any chance take creative writing in college?

:p Your posts crack me up, especially the one about the wipers on your former CLK.

Petie 12-02-2002 11:50 PM

OK, after having the M3 for about 2 weeks now, I can report that the CLK500 and the M3 are dynamically different vehicles that were obviously built for different purposes. I like them both but the Mercedes definitely felt more lush, but the BMW feels more refined, in terms of design bugs (save and except the engines blowing every now and then). The wipers are great, the ergonomics are top-notch, the trunk lind doesn't rocket up, and my knee does not hit the seat controls. Performance is outstanding, but will probably be the death of me.

However, I do have one major complaint... This "upgraded" Harman/Kardon stereo system... Oh my godness gracious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE HELL WAS BMW THINKING??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE CONVERSATION WENT SOMETHING LIKE THIS... "GEE HANS, DO YOU THINK WE COULD MAKE THE SOUND SYSTEM SOUND LIKE A GERBIL ORGY BEHIND EVERY SPEAKER GRILL? I DUNNO FRANZ... LETS TRY, AND IF WE SUCCEED, LETS CHARGE EXTRA FOR IT!"

The sound is just sinful... back in 1988, I had a Mazda B2200 pickup truck... and I swear to you all the stereo sounded better than the piece of **** in the M3.

Why would H/K let BMW hurt its reputation by putting such obvious garbage in a production car as a "premium" sound system. If I have to listen to that thing again, I swear I'll slit my wrists.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

marv800 01-16-2003 12:20 AM

Anyone haev a CLK500 for sale? I'd really like to get another one.

Michael T 01-16-2003 10:03 AM

I have mine in the Houston Chronicle, but it is ~$2,000 over. How long is the wait at the Houston dealers.