CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK chokes when I press down on gas...misfires, delay in pedal, shakes at stop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430
CLK chokes when I press down on gas...misfires, delay in pedal, shakes at stop

Alright I have a pretty complicated problem, and I have pretty much decided to bite the bullet and just take it to the dealer, but I wanted some input first.

Since I have been looking at similar posts, I wanted to say 2 things before I even start, I have already changed the spark plugs, MAF, and motor mounts...

Heres the problem(s)
- Sometimes, when I press on the gas normally it'll hesitate, and sometimes it'll take a while to shift gears. When it does, it kinda over accelerates to compensate for the hesitation.

- If I step on it from a stop, sometimes it works fine, but sometimes it just wont accelerate.

-If I step on it while already moving, sometimes its fine, but sometimes it just stays in the same gear and slooowwwlllyyy gets faster.

- Occasionally it shakes when im stopped at a light

- Today, I was on the way home and when i pushed on the gas to get around a car it went in to limp mode, and the check engine light was flashing. After restarting its no longer in limp mode, but the check engine light is still there. I think this happened once before, about a month ago, but I was only right up the street so I couldnt really tell.

--> Before that instance, I attempted to fix it with-->

-As mentioned previously, I have changed the MAF, which I think really was bad because I had a random sputtering that went away afterwards.

-It still seemed to run a little funny, so I then changed the plugs. That gave the car a little boost, but i'm at 96K so it obviously would. Other problems = still there

-SO next I changed the motor mounts - fixed the swaying at stops, but it still randomly kinda shakes, rougher and faster - still no fix

Also, I got some codes a lil while ago, after changing the maf and plugs, and it said random misfire, misfire on 5, misfire on 6, and one or two more I cant remember.

If anyone can help, that'd be awesome!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suzuki Burgman Executive
First thing's first your chassis is a W208. What fuel do you use. Cheap gas can cause it. Bas O2 sensors. If you don't drive aggressively your transmission will adapt its shift points to your driving style so if you mash it there can be a delay. To fix that one remove your battery cables for 5-10 min and plug it back in that should reset the system.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:51 PM

2001 CLK 430
I use premium gas. I just went and got the codes from azone. I have misfires on random cylinders, 3, 4, 5, and 7 to be exact. Then there was

- probable causes - vacuum leak, injector fault, high or low fuel pressure, ignition system fault (plugs, wires, coil), ig sys misfire condition

P0110 - Intake air temp circuit, but its under domestic

- probable cause - check connector and wiring
- sensor open or shorted - replace sensor

p0100 - mass or volume airflow sensor

- Large Vacuum Leak
- Faulty mass (Which i changed with a dealer part)

I dont see any vacuum leak....i dont know

Last edited by Presto3669; 03-05-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
1st thing that came to mind is a faulty Mass Air Meter..... my car did same thing after only 20K miles... but 500 miles after putting in an aftermarket airfilter with oil on it.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:28 PM

i had tht issue it was the air filters. once i changed the hesitation stopped and the tranny shifted smooth