CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK350 Soft Top does not come up - intermitent

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK 350
CLK350 Soft Top does not come up - intermitent

Hi.
I have a 2008 CLK350 cabriolet.
My problem is that the top intermittently will not come back up when I use the interior switch on the center console. I make sure that the down cycle completes all the way to having the windows come back up but, when I try to bring the top back up more often than not, the top fails to return. I have to resort to using the key fob. I know this is a minor annoyance but, heck this is a Mercedes Benz and this stuff should work on such a young car.
I have had it to the dealer twice. They could not reproduce it until it happened to me on their lot. I quickly told them and diagnostics showed a faulty switch. They say there are three switches and the diagnostics did not show which switch.

It is still under warranty and they say warranty will not allow them to replace all three switches.

Has this ever happened to anyone and did you solve it?

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
First, make sure you have documented to the dealer in writing that you reported this issue prior to warranty termination. Second, I would say "Don't replace all three switches. Just replace the bad one. It's under warranty and it's your job to fix it. Figure it out." I'm not kidding. Insist they fix it. A few months ago my car under warranty had a wierd hum and vibration that lasted just a second only as it passed exactly 1,800 rpms. It's was very subtle, but it bugged me. Only happened in hot weather with the AC on. No kidding that probably 50% of people would never even have noticed it. They replaced the ac pulley. No dice. Replaced the compressor and told me it was fixed. It was not. Replaced motor mounts, condensor, and AC lines. No dice. They tried to to tell me it was normal. I told them they knew better. Turned out to be a power steering line. So my 30K car has new motor mounts and a mostly new AC system and they won't figure out three switches for you? Bull. The warranty is to fix the problem. The job to find the problem is theirs.

Last edited by Yidney; 01-04-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK 350
Problem solved

I am happy to report that, right after posting this, the dealer called me and reported that they found the problem switch and re repairing it.
That being said, I am in total agreement with you. Thanks.