CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

new rims with infamous steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 GLE 450 Coupe
new rims with infamous steering wheel vibration

Good morning guys. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to fix this problem. I've checked a few of the forums but haven't gotten any definite answers. Just got a brand new set of 19inch rims/tires.
Driving around 0-45 mph, smooth as silk. Once I get over that my steering wheel vibrates until I hit around 80mph. Sometimes I won't get any vibration then out the blue it starts up. I've had my rims balanced, my rims are not warped or bent, Had an alignment done, I've checked to make sure the centering rings were on before the mechanic put my tires back on. My tire package didn't come with any spacers(not needed according to the vendor through AAFES) next step is to change out my struts and shocks. Does anybody else have any ideas?
Thanks in advance...

Rims-Sports edition ST5 staggered fit

Front-19x 8.5, 32mm offset, backspacing 6.02
Tires-Kumho ECSTA SPT 225/35-19–no rubbing

Rear-19x9.5,34mm offset, backspacing 6.49
Tires-Kumho ECSTA SPT 255/30-19–no rubbing

Last edited by fringeonwheels; 04-04-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: damn auto correct
Old 04-04-2012, 02:49 PM

2004 CLK 320, 07 Yukon SLT, 05 R6raven
Originally Posted by fringeonwheels
Good morning guys. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to fix this problem.i've checked a few of the forums but haven't g preterm any definite answers. Just got a brand new set of 19inch rims/tires.
Driving around 0-45 mph, smooth as silk. Once I get over that my steering wheel vibrates until I hit around 80mph. Sometimes I won't get any vibration then out the blue it stats up. I've had my rims balanced, my rims are not warped or bent, had an alignment, ive checked to make sure the centering rings were on before the mechanic put my tires back on. my tire package didn't come with any spacers (not needed according to the vendor through AAFES) next step is to change out my struts and shocks. does anybody else have any ideas?
Thanks in advance...

Rims-Sports edition ST5 staggered fit

Front-19x 8.5, 32mm offset, backspacing 6.02
Tires-Kumho ECSTA SPT 225/35-19–no rubbing

Rear-19x9.5,34mm offset, backspacing 6.49
Tires-Kumho ECSTA SPT 255/30-19–no rubbing

I'm in the same boat man. My wheels vib around 40-60 but my steering wheel shakes left to right when braking. Had the wheels balance 3 times with no issues. Someone advise me to check the bushings ??
Old 04-04-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive the racism out of BadDebt. ;)
check all castor bushings, then start looking at tierods, then start looking at the hubs.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 PM

19 C300
OK no spacers correct?

Here are a few places to have checked out 1st.... It is most likeley not suspension related if the vibration was not there prior to the wheel change.
It is not uncommon to have bad tire... Especially in a budget tire like Kumho"s
( don't take me wrong... They are a great value, just not the quality of a Michilen or Conti) in fact I had an issue with getting my wheels balanced and went thru a few sets of tires to get it diled in. I was fortunate to be working with a great wheel and tire shop... Thanks #Craig@butlertire.

Also often the tire Needs to be properly indexed on the wheel.

Last step, did you have on the car high speed balancing done, or just something like road force balancing. While the Hunter machines are great, there is really no substitute for on the car balancing for + size wheel set ups.

Good luck, I know it is driving you nuts there is nothing worse than buying new shoes and having an issue with balancing.
My reccomendation is find a great local high end wheel / tire expert and have them take a look @ the set up and I think they can get you fixed up.

Good luck, and FTLOG post some pics of the new shoes

AAFES Eh? Thanks for your service
Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yo Momma
If your steering is shaking when braking, maybe your rotors are bent. Check those. If the steering shakes after a certain speed then a wheel or two could be bent so lightly that you wont even see it. And yes balancing is also a issue. Look at my thread, some good people gave really good advice on the balancing and stuff.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:37 PM

01 clk55
my car braked perfectly then I changed to wheels to 18, it drive smooth but when braking it high speeds the car/steering shakes violently almost like the front wheels are about to fall off :-/ any suggestions ? i did not balance the wheels as of yet, would that cause this issue ?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 AM

05' CLK320
Originally Posted by itscard0man
my car braked perfectly then I changed to wheels to 18, it drive smooth but when braking it high speeds the car/steering shakes violently almost like the front wheels are about to fall off :-/ any suggestions ? i did not balance the wheels as of yet, would that cause this issue ?
that's your problem. wheels are not balanced. if wheels are perfectly balanced and you have problems while braking, it's most likely your rotors are not perfectly smooth.