CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2002 CLK W209 - 5 Issues!

Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 240 Avantgarde
Question 2002 CLK W209 - 5 Issues!

Hi All,

I recently bought a second hand 2002 CLK W209 240 Avantagarde (new shape). For the most part I am very happy with it, but there are few things I would like to correct if I can... I have seen and read some releated threads (where poss) but to no avail, so if you can help with any issue that would be great!

Rear Headrest Button on dash - This does not seem to work at all. No noises, click or anything. I am thinking possibly the fuse, but if not does anyone have any other ideas / commons fault knowledge on this?

Rear Passenger Window - When the passenger door or window is opened, the rear passenger window does not adjust itself (i.e. move back a little). It clearly wants to as I can 'hear' the movement but doesnt actually move. The passenger window itself does work, and does goes back then down when operated normally. Any suggestions? I dont really want to wear away the rubber and end up having to replace it.

TV - The TV turner is just stuck on 'No TV'. I cant even run into options (i.e. source etc). Possibly the fuse? If not what could it be? Also because the car is 2002, would it even pick up a TV signal as I am guessing the TV tuner would be analogue where as everything here (in the UK) is now in digital.

Drivers Headrest - I have read a few threads on this and as a result have checked and reconnected the modules / connectors. Like in simiar threads, the dirvers headrest goes down OK when you fold the chair forward to get in the back, but goes straight back to full extension when put back, so the motor is definately working. The connectors are also in the module properly as when push up or down on the headrest switch the headrest will move up or down about 2mm and you can hear it wanting to move, but doesnt actually go anywhere.

Clicking Dash - I understand this is probably the stepper motor / clog. I am not too fussed about this and understand the whole dash may need to come up to fix. Any inital checks / solutions I could try first? (Might explain why the 'hot' air is never that hot!).

Again, all these things are fairly minor to me and I am not too fussed (except the rear window) but it would be nice if they worked.

Whilst I am here, are there any other common faults I should keep an eye out for? I am know about the Velo / Radiator issue and am keeping an hear to the ground on that one but would have expected mine to fail already if it was going to (touchwood!).

Thanks for your help / suggestions / solutions in advance!

Last edited by whocaresuk; 11-13-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by whocaresuk
Rear Headrest Button on dash
I assume you have the rear headrests raised when you press the button? It won't raise them - it only drops them.

Rear Passenger Window
Pull the fuses for a few minutes - #21, #22, #32 and #33 in the cabin panel. Then do a resync of the windows by lowering them halfway, then raise them fully, and hold the switch up for an extra two seconds. Of course raise the windows with the doors closed. If this doesn't do it, then you may have a bad rear control unit.

TV - The TV turner is just stuck on 'No TV'
Does it have the TV tuner? I believe that might be an option (we don't have that here here in the USA so I really can't any help).

Drivers Headrest

Try resting the control module by pulling the fuses - #29 and #34.

Clicking Dash

Try the reset/diagnostic procedure - press and hold RECIRC and FRONT DEFOG buttons simultaneously until the indicator lights start to blink. This should last about 20-30 seconds. If the lights never stop blinking, then you have a broken damper linkage or stepper motor and you'll need further diagnosis to determine which one(s) (MBZ Xentry/SDS can pull codes from the A/C control system).

I am know about the Velo / Radiator issue and am keeping an hear to the ground on that one but would have expected mine to fail already if it was going to (touchwood!).
Do you have the Valeo? Check here to identify it:

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...42&postcount=3

If you do have the Valeo, I strongly recommend replacing it as coolant can ruin the transmission. Often, by the time you have symptoms, it's too late. It's possible the radiator was replaced by the original owner. Our C240 was purchased used and it had already been replaced. Many (good) dealers were proactively replacing them as they came in for service.

Last edited by Rudeney; 11-13-2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: (EDIT: That's #29, not a $29 fuse!)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 PM

CLK55 AMG
I got the clicking dash sorted without the dash being taken off.... if you have someone that KNOWS what he is doing he'll be able to do it by accessing it through the glovebox (remove the glovebox first lol) saves pennies!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:13 AM

2002 CLK 240 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by Rudeney
I assume you have the rear headrests raised when you press the button? It won't raise them - it only drops them.

Pull the fuses for a few minutes - #21, #22, #32 and #33 in the cabin panel. Then do a resync of the windows by lowering them halfway, then raise them fully, and hold the switch up for an extra two seconds. Of course raise the windows with the doors closed. If this doesn't do it, then you may have a bad rear control unit.

Does it have the TV tuner? I believe that might be an option (we don't have that here here in the USA so I really can't any help).

Try resting the control module by pulling the fuses - #29 and #34.

Try the reset/diagnostic procedure - press and hold RECIRC and FRONT DEFOG buttons simultaneously until the indicator lights start to blink. This should last about 20-30 seconds. If the lights never stop blinking, then you have a broken damper linkage or stepper motor and you'll need further diagnosis to determine which one(s) (MBZ Xentry/SDS can pull codes from the A/C control system).

Do you have the Valeo? Check here to identify it:

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...42&postcount=3

If you do have the Valeo, I strongly recommend replacing it as coolant can ruin the transmission. Often, by the time you have symptoms, it's too late. It's possible the radiator was replaced by the original owner. Our C240 was purchased used and it had already been replaced. Many (good) dealers were proactively replacing them as they came in for service.

RODNEY - Thanks for the really quick response and detailed info - much apprecaited! I will try all these this evening and let you know what happens.

NARDO - Thanks also. I will bear this mind is if Rodeny's advice doesnt work. May give it a bash myself if it can be done via the glove.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 AM

2002 CLK 240 Avantgarde
So, FINALLY got my **** in gear and tried to get it sorted.

Rear head Rests - Yes, I am only trying to drop them down. They do have a button on the side to drop them manually so perhaps the electronic button is an optional extra that has was not paid for at purchase? But if that we're so wouldn't MB just replace that switch with a blank rather than so what it would have been for? Is there a fuse to check?

Rear Passenger Window - pulled all fuses and did reset but to no avail. Im thinking that perhaps the window fitting might be lose at one end? Any ideas how I can access it to see / remove the lining?

TV Tuner - I removed the lining by the offside rear light fitting and could not see anything, not even the sound amp. I didn't remove the lining completely just round the light fitting which is where I thought the tuner was stored...?

Drivers Headrest - removed fuses. Tried to reset by holding button 5secs, but no joy.

Clicking Dash - I haven't tried to fix it myself yet (as per Nardo's post), but I did try the diagnostic procedure and the lights kept flashing so atleast I know for sure now.

Radiator - I couldn't remove the covering round the radiator to identify what crimping (and so what rad) it was, as I don't have the tools. No other way to see / ID the as far as I know without removing the covering...? However looking at the paper work, every service (bar the last one last year) was with MB so I am also hoping they would have replaced it, seeing as this fault was identified sometime ago.

SORRY FOR THE LATE REPY / POST!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:21 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by whocaresuk
Rear head Rests - Yes, I am only trying to drop them down. They do have a button on the side to drop them manually so perhaps the electronic button is an optional extra that has was not paid for at purchase? But if that we're so wouldn't MB just replace that switch with a blank rather than so what it would have been for? Is there a fuse to check?
If you have the switch on the dash, then you have the feature (AFAIK, it is standard equipment, at least in the USA). It's powered by fuse #1 (in the trunk, rear SAM).

Rear Passenger Window - pulled all fuses and did reset but to no avail. Im thinking that perhaps the window fitting might be lose at one end? Any ideas how I can access it to see / remove the lining?
There are instructions for removing the trim posted here somewhere - check the Wiki. Once you get it open, you should be able to see what's going on with the window. If it's a bad regulator, you have to replace the entire motor/regulator assembly.

TV Tuner - I removed the lining by the offside rear light fitting and could not see anything, not even the sound amp. I didn't remove the lining completely just round the light fitting which is where I thought the tuner was stored...?
Drivers Headrest - removed fuses. Tried to reset by holding button 5secs, but no joy.
Was that fuse #1? That's what control the front power seats.

Radiator - I couldn't remove the covering round the radiator to identify what crimping (and so what rad) it was, as I don't have the tools. No other way to see / ID the as far as I know without removing the covering...? However looking at the paper work, every service (bar the last one last year) was with MB so I am also hoping they would have replaced it, seeing as this fault was identified sometime ago.
You shouldn't need to remove anything to see the crimp pattern - just open the hood, and standing in front of the car, look to the left of the headlight.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 AM

MB W209 CLK55, VW Corrado VR6
just came across this post, and have a few of the issues described myself:

Rear Headrest Button on dash - (will have a look at fuse#1)

Drivers Headrest - My issue seems to be with whatever sensor detects that the seat is being tilted forward. I compared the drivers seat with the passenger seat to see what was acting differently. When I tilt forward the passenger (working) seat slightly, I hear a tiny click, and the headrest starts moving down. When I re-engage the seat back to its resting position, it once again moves up.

On my drivers seat however, the motion of tilting the seat forwards does not appear to activate the sensor to bring the headrest down. The motor itself is working, as I got it working after fiddling around with it for a while....but it's like the "tilt" sensor is not speaking with the headrest motor, informing it of its position.

I heard that you can "normalise" the seating positions.... do I have to remove fuse#1, #29 and #34 to do this? And also, if I remove them, should the car just reset itself once it detects the fuses are back in?

Clicking Dash - I have heard that you can access some of the actuators and motors through the glove-box. I found a step-by-step guide of removing the glove-box and cd-changer and it looks fairly straightforward, but my repetitive knocking noise sounds a little higher up behind the dash than the glove-box area.

Ideally, I'd like to know exactly which actuator I will be changing before I start pulling the thing apart, as I don't particularly want to do it all, just to find, that it was the wrong actuator gear, and that the whole dashboard needs to come out. Are there any cheap ODBII "eBay-level" diagnostic devices I can pick up that will tell me exactly which actuator has broken? Or does it have to be read by a garage Star diagnostic machine?

Whilst on the subject, what would be a good all-round home-level diagnostic device to get more than just the most basic of codes?

Indicator stalk not staying when indicating right - I will have a search around the forum for a fix to this. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.....hopefully I don't have to buy an entire new stalk to get it fixed!

thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 05:16 AM

just came across this post, and have a few of the issues described myself:

Rear Headrest Button on dash - (will have a look at fuse#1)

Drivers Headrest - My issue seems to be with whatever sensor detects that the seat is being tilted forward. I compared the drivers seat with the passenger seat to see what was acting differently. When I tilt forward the passenger (working) seat slightly, I hear a tiny click, and the headrest starts moving down. When I re-engage the seat back to its resting position, it once again moves up.

On my drivers seat however, the motion of tilting the seat forwards does not appear to activate the sensor to bring the headrest down. The motor itself is working, as I got it working after fiddling around with it for a while....but it's like the "tilt" sensor is not speaking with the headrest motor, informing it of its position.

I heard that you can "normalise" the seating positions.... do I have to remove fuse#1, #29 and #34 to do this? And also, if I remove them, should the car just reset itself once it detects the fuses are back in?

Clicking Dash - I have heard that you can access some of the actuators and motors through the glove-box. I found a step-by-step guide of removing the glove-box and cd-changer and it looks fairly straightforward, but my repetitive knocking noise sounds a little higher up behind the dash than the glove-box area.

Ideally, I'd like to know exactly which actuator I will be changing before I start pulling the thing apart, as I don't particularly want to do it all, just to find, that it was the wrong actuator gear, and that the whole dashboard needs to come out. Are there any cheap ODBII "eBay-level" diagnostic devices I can pick up that will tell me exactly which actuator has broken? Or does it have to be read by a garage Star diagnostic machine?

Whilst on the subject, what would be a good all-round home-level diagnostic device to get more than just the most basic of codes?

Indicator stalk not staying when indicating right - I will have a search around the forum for a fix to this. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.....hopefully I don't have to buy an entire new stalk to get it fixed!

thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Headrest - it may be the switch in the bottom of the seat back that detects if it has been folded forward. Test this by starting the engine, and then folding the seat back - you should get an error on the MFD. If not, then it it's that switch. I haven't had to dig into mine, but I believe it's near the bottom, outer side of the seat back where the locking mechanism is located. Remove the seat back and check it.

Clicking Dash - you probably have a broken actuator on a damper in the duct. Your best bet is to get someone (worst case: dealer) with SDS to pull codes on the climate control system (it requires SDS - generic OBDII code readers won't work). With those code(s), we can tell you what part is nor working and how to access it. Some are DIY, but you may have to remove much of the center console and dash components (cluster, radio, etc.). There are a few that can only be access by removing the entire duct, which means disconnecting the A/C evaporator.

Turn Signal Stalk - you'll have to replace the switch assembly. It requires removing the airbag, steering wheel, and clockspring to access. It's not terribly difficult, just a bit tedious. There's no worries about working with the airbag as long as you disconnect the vehicle battery and are careful with it (handling, disconnection, reconnection). I am pretty sure I have posted the WIS docs on this, either here or in the W202 or W209 forums on Benzworld.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Headrest - it may be the switch in the bottom of the seat back that detects if it has been folded forward. Test this by starting the engine, and then folding the seat back - you should get an error on the MFD. If not, then it it's that switch. I haven't had to dig into mine, but I believe it's near the bottom, outer side of the seat back where the locking mechanism is located. Remove the seat back and check
Interestingly the dash is showing that the seat is forward, and goes off when I put the seat back, so I guess that sensor is ok.

In that case, maybe the on-board memory is getting confused as to what the current position of the head rest is. Do I just pull out the fuses and pop them back in to reset the positions?
Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W215 CL55k Weistec & Jag X-Type
My COMAND says 'No TV' also, it wasn't spec'd with one so you will need to buy one, convert it to digital, install the antennas and wiring harnesses etc - PITA... Digital TV doesn't seem to work that well in cars anyway, so I've been told.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
So the headrest adjustment button on the door does work? The headrest goes up and down fully? What about the memory setting - does it properly move the headrest? If so, then this is with the seat tilt mechanism. You can try resetting it - pull the fuses, wait "a minute" then put them back in. You can also do the same with the wiring harness connectors under the seat. That may help. If not, I may have some time tomorrow afternoon or Friday and can look at mine to see what switches get activated when the seat back is folded forward. In fact, I need to look at mine anyhow as the latch can be a bit sticky.