CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Smart Key Wet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 350
Smart Key Wet

I need some help
CLK 350 2008 29000 miles. Yesterday I drove to the beach. My smartkey got soaked. When I went to start my car it would not work. After about 5 hours it started and i drove it home. When i got it home and i turned it off it would not start again but very sporatically. The key wont turn 90% of the time. Now to top it all off when I can start it with this key the check engine light will not go off. And when I do shut the car down i can press the power button on my radio and my radio will work which is not suppose to be. Is it possible that my smart key has shorted out my cars EIS. I am getting my other key fedexed tomorrow as i am on vacation. Anone have problems like this? When I have the other key and if that works am I all good?

Thanks for any advise or help.

James
Old 06-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
If you got salt water into the key it is probably finished. Otherwise flush liberally with clean water & then dry GENTLY with a hair dryer & you might save it. You have to stop corrosion. You could also blow it out with electrical switch/contact cleaner.

You should be OK with your spare key. The EIS will be fine as long as you did not transfer liquid into it. The wet key will have corrupted the handshake attempt with the EIS.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 06-10-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Please note the key is inductively energised by the EIS.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...t-process.html

Attached Thumbnails Smart Key Wet-6f9wfo.jpg   Smart Key Wet-dsc00490.jpg   Smart Key Wet-dsc00492.jpg  

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 06-10-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:12 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The MIL (check engine light) is probably not related to the key unless it was so wet, it got water into the EIS (ignition switch) and has also damaged it. Otherwise, there is really no way a defective key can damage the vehicle's electronics - it communicates via a simple infrared transmission so there's nothing in the key that could do any damage. Once you get home, have the codes pulled so we can see what's going on there. Oh, and being able to turn on the radio with the ignition off is normal behavior. All modern MBZ's have this feature.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:14 PM

CLK 350
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
If you got salt water into the key it is probably finished. Otherwise flush liberally with clean water & then dry GENTLY with a hair dryer & you might save it. You have to stop corrosion. You could also blow it out with electrical switch/contact cleaner.

You should be OK with your spare key. The EIS will be fine as long as you did not transfer liquid into it. The wet key will have corrupted the handshake attempt with the EIS.

Thanks so much. Can you explain Handshake attempt?

Thanks,
James
Old 06-10-2012, 08:17 PM

CLK 350
Originally Posted by Rudeney
The MIL (check engine light) is probably not related to the key unless it was so wet, it got water into the EIS (ignition switch) and has also damaged it. Otherwise, there is really no way a defective key can damage the vehicle's electronics - it communicates via a simple infrared transmission so there's nothing in the key that could do any damage. Once you get home, have the codes pulled so we can see what's going on there. Oh, and being able to turn on the radio with the ignition off is normal behavior. All modern MBZ's have this feature.
Thanks so much.....it is just frusterating.

Have a great day.

James
Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 PM

CLK 350
Originally Posted by jagiancana1

Have a great day.

James

Also i now notice my alarm light is not working?

All this since the key issue. Any reason for this?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 PM

CLK 350

Have a great day.

James

Also now the alarm light/red light is not sporadically flashing. All this since the key issue. Any reason for this?
Thanks,

James
Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks so much. Can you explain Handshake attempt?

Thanks,
James
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...t-process.html

The EIS is the top of the control pyramid. Each key is security programmed to a specific car. The EIS validates the key via IR, once energised, through the IR windows in the tips of the key & in the EIS socket.

A wet key can corrupt that handshake process with side effects. Once you stick a good key into the EIS all should be well.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
this is too late to help the OP, but if a future first-post'er should search and find this thread, let me give you some advice from the cellphone industry:

remove batteries
if wet with salt water, rinse with fresh or distilled water
dry with hair dryer, then bury it in raw white rice, a natural desiccant, for a few hours or longer if possible
reinstall batteries, say prayer, try key (or cellphone)

Admittedly, not a lot of help to a family stranded at the beach, but the electronics get fried when water AND power are present. Removing the batteries and keeping it out of the ignition till it's dry is KEY (no pun intended).
The following users liked this post:
amgggg... (07-02-2020)