MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W209) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209-43/)
-   -   Chrome touchup? (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/504462-chrome-touchup.html)

Rudeney 06-28-2013 10:38 AM

Chrome touchup?

Does anyone have any good suggestions for touching up the chrome plating on the plastic interior trim? Several parts on mine are showing wear and chipping, like the chrome surround on the cupholder in the center console and the chrome trim on the A/C vents. Many years ago, there was a good chrome touch-up paint, but I think it contained mercury or some other toxic chemical and I can't find it anymore. I tried a chrome fingernail polish, but it's really more "silver" than true chrome.

Fatz 06-28-2013 11:45 AM

Dupli-Color makes a chrome enamel spay paint. It should be available at AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts. I had a small can to touch up a rash on my polished rim wheels but used it on some decorations for my grandson's StarWars theme birthday party...... It made really nice looks stars. :) I recently bought a large (16oz I think) can and will get around to using it sometime over the next week.

I would tape well and spray 2-3 light coats from at least 1.5 feet.

Kompressive 06-28-2013 12:30 PM

I was just searching products to do just what you're looking to do. I've got the chipped chrome problem around the cup holder and the louver handle trim strip as well.

I thought I'd ask at a hobby shop I've been going to for years and these guys really seem to know their stuff. They pointed me in this direction...

http://www.innate.com/Paint/Chrome/Chrome.htm

It's not cheap...$70 for a quarter pint kit, but it seems like that would be all you could ever need to touch up those chipped areas for the life of your cars.

The next question would be if you have experience with an airbrush. If so, you're good to go, if not, it might be worth a quick call to see if they've got a pre-packaged can solution.

This might not be what you wanted to spend depending upon the severity of your chipping problem Rodney, but I know how things like that bug me...the more I try to ignore it, the more it bothers me.

Good Luck.

Pufftrees 06-28-2013 02:27 PM

My cup holder chrome lining started to peel and I was had the same question Rodney , thanks for making a thread! I am not very good with an airbrush though, will keep my eye out for other options.

user 823908234 06-28-2013 03:21 PM

How about vinyl chrome tape? I saw different ones on eBay. Or a window tinting shop might have scraps of mirror tint. Seems like lots of members have vinyl-covered plenty of interior parts with cf vinyl. Just a thought.

Yidney 06-28-2013 08:53 PM

I really don't think there is. You can buy chrome spray paint, which is nowhere near as shiny as real chrome, but it is the most ridiculously delicate paint ever. Try to clear it and it turns dull. Touch it and it turns dull. Look at it and it turns dull. You can google it and see that model makers have been in search of chrome paint forever.

Pufftrees 06-28-2013 09:07 PM

Might go look to get a Carbon Fiber stick-on that is made for it. Or just improvise something in CF instead of back to chrome. Less than ideal but better than cracked chrome.

Rudeney 06-28-2013 11:47 PM

Well, I have previously use the "chrome" spray paint and it's not a mirror-shiny chrome - it's more like "somewhat shiny aluminum" color. As for the tapes, these parts are too small and with very tight bends and curves for that.

As for airbrushing, I actually own a professional gravity feed paint sprayer, like what is used for automotive body work, but it's going to be way too large for this. Maybe I need a small detail airbrush tool. I would not mind investing in one and giving it a try. Still, I really wish I could get some of that chrome paint I had as a kid when I built model cars. Literally, with a good brush, that stuff looked as good as true electroplated chroming.

Kompressive 07-01-2013 10:23 AM

Another option is leafing. They make silver leaf that really gleams once it's buffed. I've used golf leaf before, so I assume the application is similar.

To leaf, you brush down a layer of size (glue actually), wait till it sets a little and lay the leaf over it. Then you burnish it (rub it down), and you're done.

The trickiest part is transferring the leaf from it's packaging (sheets of tissue) to the size without having it blow away...it's pretty thin. Just keep the windows closed, the fans off, and the Golden Retrievers out of the room, and you should be fine.

You can buy a starter kit that has everything you need...try Hobby Lobby or some larger craft or hobby store.

This is what I'm going to do to my chipped chrome. They don't make a chrome leaf, but the silver leaf will be shiny enough to do the trick.

Darren_0203 07-01-2013 05:02 PM

:popcorn: Also interested

Darren_0203 07-01-2013 05:04 PM

I was kinda hoping you could buy like some kind of replacement ring but never found anything.