CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Low coolant level and washer fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209(sold), W212, X204
Low coolant level and washer fluid?

Greetings all!

I have been lurkin the forums for quite some time now, and just finally pulled the trigger on purchasing a clk500! This is actually my first Benz, coming from a BMW which was a nightmare I'm very paranoid about every little thing.

The car is currently displaying low washer fluid, as well as a check coolant message. I've checked the coolant level and it likely needs to get topped off a bit. I'm not sure where the coolant is leaking from. The washer fluid is very low, and visually I can see a puddle of liquid right below the washer fluid reservoir on the undercarriage part. Do you guys think this may be related? Is there any hose that I should suspect this leak to come from?

I'd also like to note that the car is a MY2004, with a Valeo radiator. Given the common issues with this radiator make, should I preventively get it replaced ASAP?

Thank you all in advance! Keep a newbie informed
Old 04-09-2014, 12:39 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The coolant and washer fluid level sensors are wired in parallel, so if one fails, you get both errors. The leak in the washer fluid is most likely either a bad pump or a bad seal where the pump is mated to the reservoir.

On the Valeo radiator, I would replace it. They all seem to leak coolant into the transmission eventually.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 AM

W209(sold), W212, X204
Originally Posted by Rudeney
The coolant and washer fluid level sensors are wired in parallel, so if one fails, you get both errors. The leak in the washer fluid is most likely either a bad pump or a bad seal where the pump is mated to the reservoir.

On the Valeo radiator, I would replace it. They all seem to leak coolant into the transmission eventually.
That's interesting! Hopefully it will just be a bad seal somewhere haha

For the radiator, can you direct me to a website where I can buy the behr one specifically for my car?

Thanks for the advice Rudeney!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:56 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
You don't say where you are located - please update your forum profile. If you are in the USA, parts.com sells through a dealer network at pre-negotiated discount prices. Other good places to check are rmeuropean.com, autohausaz.com, and rockauto.com.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:31 PM

W209(sold), W212, X204
You don't say where you are located - please update your forum profile. If you are in the USA, parts.com sells through a dealer network at pre-negotiated discount prices. Other good places to check are rmeuropean.com, autohausaz.com, and rockauto.com.
Hi rudeney, thanks. I'm located in the US. I just checked out parts.com but For some reason it doesn't tell me what brand it is? Autohausaz has several to choose from, but none are from behr? I'm thinking of this nissens radiator. What do you think?http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...NSS62786A.html

Also, just encountered another stupid problem... The damn front hood won't open. I pull the red release latch very hard and hear a clunk, suggesting the hood pop a little. After pulling the black lever in front of the hood, the right side(driver side) opens a little, but it looks like the left (passenger) side is stuck?? This is such a pain in the ***!! Am I doing something wrong?
Old 04-12-2014, 12:20 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
There should be no bad Valeo radiators in the supply chain any more. If you buy a new one, it's almost certain that you'll get the revised Behr part.

As for the hood, you may have a bad latch or cable. Unfortunately, this is a difficult problem. I cannot explain how to open the hood, but it can be done. You have to remove the paneling under the engine and reach up to the latch and disengage it. Honestly, you need "intimate" knowledge of how to do this as it's all done by feel.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:38 AM

W209(sold), W212, X204
There should be no bad Valeo radiators in the supply chain any more. If you buy a new one, it's almost certain that you'll get the revised Behr part.

As for the hood, you may have a bad latch or cable. Unfortunately, this is a difficult problem. I cannot explain how to open the hood, but it can be done. You have to remove the paneling under the engine and reach up to the latch and disengage it. Honestly, you need "intimate" knowledge of how to do this as it's all done by feel.
Alrighty I'll ask around for the radiator. Thanks again Rudeney

I finally was able to get the hood open. Had a friend pull the latch, while I pulled the lever. Squirted some lubricant into the latch and now it seems to be good! I guess it must of got stiff over time.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:14 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
That's good. When the cable or latch mechanism breaks, it's a real PITA to get the hood open.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:26 PM

2007 clk360 convertable
fluid level sensors

I replaced both sensors.fluid level topped off.still get fault codes how do clear fault code .anybody got the answers. 2007 clk350 conv.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:24 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Check that the washer fluid pump is plugged in. If it;s unplugged, it will trigger both of these errors.