CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2009 CLK 550 Conv lost all power while driving??

Old 06-03-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLK 550 Conv
Exclamation 2009 CLK 550 Conv lost all power while driving??

Does anyone have a clue why my 2009 CLK Conv with 52,000 miles would just stop dead while I was driving it? The car lost all power for no reason! Totally locked up and could not be started?!!? The tow truck driver connected the battery to power and still nothing? The key will not turn and we could't even get it into Neutral to get it up on the truck? The mechanic says the engine lock assembly need to be replaced but I can't find what that is online? I did some looking around to see what it is but haven't found a real answer yet - any ideas?? I a bit afraid to drive it again after it's fixed. This is a DANGEROUS right? My kids where in the car with me I barely made it off the road safely.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The mechanic is saying the EIS (electronic ignition switch) is bad. It could cause these problems, but II;d like to know how he arrived at that diagnosis. Does he have proper equipment, like Star Diagnosis (SDS)?
Old 06-06-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLK 550 Conv
Angry Electronic Ignition Shut down

Stealer says it is the EIS and the Steering lock that has stopped working They both at a cost of $1800! Apparently they can only be changed at the dealer. This is the same issue that killed 13 people in GM cars. Now he says the car could have stopped dead because of the Cam lock sensor but he can't be sure until it does it again??? Preferably NOT when I'm traveling at 65MPH? He also says the Motor mounts and the transmission mounts need to be replaced? I am terrified to get in this car again I have had it 9 months and it is literally falling apart?
Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
You have one, fairly rare, issue that just happens to be an issue that caused the car to stop running. Could happen to any car. It is not the same issue as the GM ignition switch. If you doubt the diagnosis, get a second one. Either way, get it fixed and enjoy the car.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:26 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
And these cars are known to go through engine mounts. When they fail, they won't cause any serious problems, just additional vibration.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 Clk350 cabriolet
Originally Posted by Beach'n
Stealer says it is the EIS and the Steering lock that has stopped working They both at a cost of $1800! Apparently they can only be changed at the dealer. This is the same issue that killed 13 people in GM cars. Now he says the car could have stopped dead because of the Cam lock sensor but he can't be sure until it does it again??? Preferably NOT when I'm traveling at 65MPH? He also says the Motor mounts and the transmission mounts need to be replaced? I am terrified to get in this car again I have had it 9 months and it is literally falling apart?

Beach, sorry to hear that and I agree 100% it is damn scary and with the kids too in the car. My wife drives my kids in our car all the time. I can only imagine the panic you experienced or i would if it were to happen to our car. I have a 2009 clk 350 Conv with 46k miles and now I am wondering if I should have bought extended warranty.

Please keep us posted on the diag and wondering if you did get a second opinion or plan to since the car is not drivable !?

Also wondering whether you were driving the freeway or street when it happened and did the car at least roll easy to a stop !? I guess the steering was tight as hell.

Luckily my current car trouble started with the car parked in the garage with a dead battery and came across your thread. Hopefully it is a cheap and easy fix for you and you can possibly sell the car. Hate to say that but I would.

Last edited by jigsb; 07-01-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
The same exact thing happen to me. My slk55 just shut off completely driving on the freeway at around 65 mph. I couldn't pull over to the slow lane and stuck on the fast lane. It was very very scary sitting in the car and looking in the rear mirror and heard squeaking tires coming toward you. Cost me around $1K for a dead fuel pump.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 Clk350 cabriolet
Originally Posted by Klinh
The same exact thing happen to me. My slk55 just shut off completely driving on the freeway at around 65 mph. I couldn't pull over to the slow lane and stuck on the fast lane. It was very very scary sitting in the car and looking in the rear mirror and heard squeaking tires coming toward you. Cost me around $1K for a dead fuel pump.
Klinh, really 65 mph in an slk55 !?

Jokes apart, can we know which model year and what was the mileage. Also wondering how much distance the car rolled and at what speed before it came to a complete stop. I mean, did you get a few seconds of emergency signalling going when it happened and before you stopped completely !?

These experiences are scary and making me nervous !? Does this happen to other cars too !? Prior to joining this thread, I had not heard of cars completely shutting itself off at highway speeds.

So if you can share more details of your experience will def. help other drivers.