MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W209) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209-43/)
-   -   CLK 350 Convertible 2006 111.000 km (68.400 miles) worth € 19890 ($27800,£15.800)? (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/548983-clk-350-convertible-2006-111-000-km-68-400-miles-worth-c-19890-27800-15-800-a.html)

Bokaj 07-15-2014 01:01 AM

CLK 350 Convertible 2006 111.000 km (68.400 miles) worth € 19890 ($27800,£15.800)?

CLK 350 Convertible avantgarde, model year 2006, Obsidian black, 18 inch BBS alloy wheels, electrically powered seats - both sides with memory, APS 50 with Harman/Kardon (incl subwoofer), Amaretto (grey) nappa leather, seats ventilated with fans, digital ("luxury") AC with individual zones, 6 CD changer (useless, who uses CDs?), electrically powered seats - both sides with memory, APS 50 (ie no COMAND only basic GPS) with Harman/Kardon sound system (incl subwoofer), Amaretto (grey) nappa leather, seats ventilated with fans, digital ("luxury") AC with individual zones, sport chassis, Bluetooth iPhone, and some other niceties, like cup holders and such. Interior mint. Paint finish decent but since it hasn't been hand washed I will recondition it (rub the paint down a bit and seal it at a really good detailing shop,
110.000 km (ie 68.400 miles)
Serviced by the book at Mercedes own shop.
Bought at independent dealership for € 19.890 (I.e. $ 27.800 or £ 15.800) on the 15th of July 2014?
Bought in Sweden, and cars are a bit more expensive here but still I want to know; have I been played? Be honest, please! I can take it :)
Ps
See my gallery for (a bit crappy) pictures

Yidney 07-15-2014 08:50 AM

Except for whoever on here knows the market in Sweden, I don't think there is any way for us to know. In the US that car would be more in the $20,000 range, and probably could be had for less. But in Sweden that may be a good price or a bad price. When you live in a market for a while, you just have a sense of things.

Bokaj 07-15-2014 01:24 PM

Thanx Yidney!

It think you are right regardless of market im afraid, i think I'm overpaying quite a bit unfortunately. Although as you say, prices do vary a lot depending on general market. It's my impression that luxury or semi-luxury US cars fall steeper on the second hand market (ie can be had for less money) plus, more importantly perhaps, seem to be better taken care of. People in the US seem to not drive like car thieves but tend to commute long stretches at reasonable speed. = ideal condition for the engine, plus if you live on the west coast around LA or so you don't have a problem with ice and salt breaking down the paint. Pity there's an ocean between us :).
So in my very subjective opinion
1) Mercs in the US = excellent condition, very, very generously equipped as "standard", good condition, the lowest prices
2) Mercs in Germany = often very many miles but otherwise Germans take pride in their cars = good condition, paperwork in order, often hand washed, high but reasonable prices due to so many cars on sale so market condition works producing reasonably priced cars, (very)meagre selection of extras unfortunately and often pressed a little to hard on the autobahn and in some cases extreme mileage.
3) Mercs in Southern Europe; they don't take pride of their cars = they don't take care of their cars, often surprisingly bad condition, no paperwork, scratched up bad due to chaotic traffic. Strange color combinations (they seem to like white cars with beige leather and if they could they would have everything gold instead of chrome..)
4) Ok, then what about Scandinavia? Pretty much like the Germans except: hellish weather condition resulting in salt and gravel on the road wreaking havoc on the paint but most obviously: the market is so small that if you have any special demands you can be lucky if there is one or two cars meeting your requirements = you wind up in a "hostage" situation. Take me. I "have" to have the specs of this car. But no supply makes havoc on a market economy. It's this one or I have to go to Germany and buy one there which is a real hassle plus it costs me a week of work. Hence I buy an overpriced car here in Sweden, a car with a motor with a very bad reputation to boot, too bad..
5) The Brits? A bit like us in Sweden I guess - left hand drive = a meagre selection of cars = puts the wonders of the market economy slightly out of whack, but little real experience of that. Also I tend to think that people in Britain that have a decent job make a lot of money and don't buy second hand cars which is the same as in Sweden. Both country's are extreme class society's whatever you might have been thought. Poor people = desperate people that pay to much for cars with problems just to get ahead and pretend that you belong to the other half of society and thus pay too much... Like me unfortunately....

jctevere 07-15-2014 01:31 PM

I would have to agree that you overpaid significantly. I'm not sure how the used car market is by you, but I think that even in the U.S. 20K is far out of market.

For reference, I just purchased a 2003 CLK 500 coupe (fully loaded with the exception of wood wheel). 38K miles, pristine showroom condition, black on black for $10K.

To push this one step further (since yours is a convertible). Just yesterday a 2005 CLK 500 convertible with 61K miles, black on black, fairly well equipped (wood wheel but no bi-xenon) in excellent condition was listed for $12.5K and you can probably get it for $12k.

One year older, but slightly less mileage and a v8 vs the v6. Apples to apples I'd say it's a pretty fair comparison.

Bokaj 07-15-2014 01:32 PM

Yidney, may I ask..

What would you consider a reasonable price for you gorgeous (partial to that color..) 2008 500 CLK where you live? (Don't worry, I won't book a flight to the US to try to buy I from you :) )

Bokaj 07-15-2014 01:44 PM

Thanks Jctevere!!

That 2005, you think that was a post-facelift. In that case - wow!
Thing is, "my" car (haven't bought it yet actually, so there's still time to not make a very bad deal..) seems to be not that far out of the norm compared to CLKS in Germany. Can it really be that much of a difference between CLKs in the US and Germany? Saw a CLK 2005 post-facelift in Germany with 16 inch tires and virtually no extras advertised for slightly north of $ 20.000 in Munich. Granted, it was an official dealership but still... Perhaps I should book a flight to the US after all..