MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W209) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209-43/)
-   -   diy repairs show i saved $3000 over the years... (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/555034-diy-repairs-show-i-saved-3000-over-years.html)

mbnz230 09-03-2014 02:14 PM

diy repairs show i saved $3000 over the years...

if you are not a diy owning a mercedes will cost you, since buying my 2004 clk500 and driven it for almost 30k mile for 3 or 4 years, i have not spend a dime for repairs at a shop. it saved me a ton on money and headaches.

here's a list of the repairs i did:
1. voltage regulator for the alternator: $40

2. Crankshaft Positioning Sensor: $60

3. stepper motor arm: $16 for 2

4. Leaking valve cover gaskets: $24 for both sides

Maintenance:
1. Akebono pads: $70 for front and rear.

2. Tires: $400 front and rear.

3. oil and filter changes: probably about 6 times or so: $300

4. power steering fluid changes: $24

5. air filters: $20

Feel free to list the repairs you did and how much you safe if having the dealers or independents fix it.

so the repairs cost me less than $150 total for almost 4 years, maybe add another $100 for additional tools needed for the fix. maintenance is the same as every other car.

i am estimating if i have everything fix or maintain at a shop it would cost me like upwards of $4000 vs $1054 diy. so i saved over $3000, that's pretty good and thanks to forums like this for the great info and members that help out.

Rudeney 09-03-2014 11:00 PM

Good job! I have always said that if you intend to own a used MBZ, and you can't DIY, then you either better have an extended warranty or a pile of cash to pay for repairs!

jctevere 09-08-2014 10:23 PM

Contrary to the belief, if you know the correct procedures and have the correct tools I find Mercedes to be one of the easier manufacturers to service yourself.

I almost died of laughter when a small exhaust shop refused to do my custom exhaust job simply because it was a "Mercedes and they are the most complicated cars". Even though I explained everything was post-cat I decided it was best to let someone else work on my car since this guy was so ignorant.

I was shocked at how easy it is to do oil changes, fluid evacuation from the dip stick, oil filter located on top. Never have to get on the ground or get your hands dirty, unlike any other car. Even something as simple as changing light bulbs is a quick and easy process. Compared to some American manufacturers you sometimes need to remove the entire headlight assembly for a simple light change.

Rudeney 09-08-2014 11:48 PM

:topic:

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 6161828)
Contrary to the belief, if you know the correct procedures and have the correct tools I find Mercedes to be one of the easier manufacturers to service yourself.

+1! I'd much rather work on an MBZ than a FWD Asian or American make. Things MBZ does just "makes sense". Of course I once heard a mechanic say that, "Of course MBZs are easy to work on! They break down so much, they have to be easy to fix or else no mechanic would touch them!" :)

I almost died of laughter when a small exhaust shop refused to do my custom exhaust job simply because it was a "Mercedes and they are the most complicated cars". Even though I explained everything was post-cat I decided it was best to let someone else work on my car since this guy was so ignorant.
Oh, yes, I remember once looking for brake pads on my W123. I stopped in an auto parts store in my attempt to keep my money "local". The guy behind the counter told me they don't carry them because "only certified mechanics can work on those cars." He gave some **** and bull story about a guy that lost an arm because he loosened one bolt and the entire brake system exploded on him. Of course a modern Sensotronic brake system has some special considerations, but this was back befoer that was even on the drawing board. Even now I have friends, family, co-workers and neighbors who look at me sideways when I talk about doing my own work on an MBZ.

I was shocked at how easy it is to do oil changes, fluid evacuation from the dip stick, oil filter located on top. Never have to get on the ground or get your hands dirty, unlike any other car. Even something as simple as changing light bulbs is a quick and easy process. Compared to some American manufacturers you sometimes need to remove the entire headlight assembly for a simple light change.
LOL! Many years ago, my wife had to have an Oldsmobile Cutlass. It required the engine to be lifted to replace two of the spark plugs and the alternator removed for another one. It wouldn't be such a big deal with today's 100K mile schedule, but it was about eveyr 20K back then.

Oh, and I was talking to a co-worker about his Ford. He had to replace the fuel pump which required dropping the tank. To do that required removing the exhaust and several other components. MBZ has access ports under the rear seats. 4 bolts for the seat, and 6 for each access panel and your there.

Now, on an MBZ, just hope you don't need to replace an oil pan - you have to lift the engine and that's 20 hours of work. :(

Wodeshed 01-14-2015 12:31 PM

Thanks to this forum I've been able to replace/service the following:

Crankshaft position sensor
Fuel filter
Valve cover/breather gaskets
Plug change with new plug wires
EGR line tube
Breather hoses
Transmission pan drop, cleanout, and flush
Transmission electrical bushing change
iPod interface

Next up is a full brake job, with fluid change/flush, pads, and rotors all around. I might drain and refill the differential while I'm at it. Following that I'll change out the steering fluid.

I've never really done anything more than oil changes before, but I got tired of paying Indys $1,000 or more every time I went in for something.

Yidney 01-15-2015 01:11 AM

Other than a wheel alignment, no shop has touched my car since the warranty expired nearly 3 years ago. But other than taking apart the seat belt extender motor to clean it and lubing the front sway bar bushings, I have not done any repairs. Has not needed any. Just have done tranny fluid, plugs and oil changes. I will tackle most any DYI, but sometimes it just is not worth the hassle. My wife's V8 XC90 needed a new alternator. An alternator is easy right? Well, no. The V8 is transverse mounted and the alternator is way down low. So you have to access it through the wheel opening and disassemble a good deal of the front suspension. I could do it, but just don't get enough satisfaction from ripping apart suspensions, so I paid to have it done. But I put a new CV axle on it a couple weeks ago - a much easier job.

DanielFD 01-15-2015 02:12 AM

Well this is a great thread! I don't think I count how many times I've repaired my car myself instead of taking it to a shop! Though I have a close friend who is an independent mechanic that repairs old/new Jaguars and Mercs, but he doesn't work with electronics; so I end up doing those. Probably the most money I ever saved from a garage would be the time I retrofitted command 2.0; I can only imagine how much somebody would make me pay for that.