MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W209) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209-43/)
-   -   Anyone change the reverse light bulb to LED? (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/562258-anyone-change-reverse-light-bulb-led.html)

NewShockerGuy 11-01-2014 07:28 PM

Anyone change the reverse light bulb to LED?

I just received these from superbrightleds.com

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ed-tower/1326/

Nice and bright. Can bus style and the problem I am having is that the rear reverse lights flash on and off and I get two errors on the dash. If I put these SAME bulbs in the front turn signals I get zero errors... Not sure but does anyone know what's going on or can recommend led reverse 1156 bulbs for the reverse lights?

It could possibly be not enough resistance? But at this point I'm not sure what the correct resistance should be?

Thanks much,
-Nigel

omega48er 11-03-2014 07:16 PM

I changed mine to a cree bulb and love it.

NewShockerGuy 11-03-2014 10:15 PM

What brand and where did you get it?

Update:

Welp, I am pretty sure the can bus superbrightleds bulbs aren't going to work, I don't think they are enough resistance built into the bulb. Because they throw an error in the front as well. Their 194 can bus LEDS however work great!

I just ordered new leds from AZN Optics, Your SOURCE for Automotive LED and HID Lighting! Ordered two sets of amber ones with built in IC chips to prevent the hyper flash. And I am getting their reverse leds. I will post pictures once I get them hopefully this week/weekend. And hopefully they don't throw any errors.

I would really like to change out all rear bulbs to LEDS just for that clean look honestly. Well see though. I think turn signals up front/rear will make a nice change. I know when I swapped to led city lights and fender lights it makes the car look much cleaner.

Thanks,
-Nigel

omega48er 11-03-2014 10:23 PM

i believe the one i have is this one, had it for a year and no problem yet

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-1156-Super-Bright-White-CREE-LED-12-5050-SMD-7506-P21W-High-Power-Projector-/151290002487?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2339963c37

NewShockerGuy 11-04-2014 09:04 AM

Nice thanks!

If the ones I get don't work then I am going to get the above. I noticed those don't state they are canbus error free. Were your's canbus error free?

Thanks again,
-Nigel

NewShockerGuy 11-06-2014 03:34 PM

Welp, figured I'd update. Got the new LEDS, and it was a no go :-(

Got the hyper flash for LEDS and error messages and then also for the reverse lights got the error messages as well along with the taillights cutting the power and flashing at a slower on/off speed.

This is quite annoying trying to find LEDS that work... it's kinda of a pain with this Can bus thing! arg!...lol

-Nigel

AMG_Adon 11-09-2014 12:33 PM

i used the reverse bulbs from aznoptics a forum member and they are the brightest i ever encountered bar none

NewShockerGuy 11-10-2014 09:52 AM

yea that frustrates me because I have their LED bulbs and no matter what I put in the rear taillight housings I get a bulb error or hyper flash or no light... put a normal bulb in and it works 100% of the time. Someone said to check the wiring and everything seems fine back there as I completely gutted the trunk, but dang, I Was so excited to use leds... Using LEDS up front in the headlights, no issues at all.

I can use an LED in bulb position #4 with no issues and it lights up, but brake, turn, reverse all throw an error...

-Nigel

Lowflyer 11-13-2014 08:19 PM

Have you tried Idjmtoy.com?
I feel your pain, I had the same frustration with errors codes popping up on so called "Can Bus" LEDs. So far every led I've replaced through idjmtoy.com has brought success. You just need to make sure you buy the Mercedes specific bulbs.
I've never tried their rear turn signal LEDs though.
Being It's something I've had on my list to do, I'll order some and see what happens. I'll update with the results.

jctevere 11-13-2014 08:42 PM

AZN Optics are great. He actually was a W204 (C-Class) owner that found a supplier for top quality LED that would'nt throw error codes or burn out quickly on our cars.

Demand was so high that he was able to build a small business from it. The rears require error cancelors for the backup, but the fronts don't. Although, you will get hyper flash on the fronts unless they have resistors. I think AZN Optics also has special ones for the front because they typically "voltage leak" which could cause them to sometimes remain on since it's not a "monitored" light.

I used them on my C-Class and they are great products. I have the 36MM festoon bulbs for the license plate on my CLK and they are bright as heck (but a bit of a tight squeeze).

I def recommend them. The one time I've had an issue he just sent me out new ones free of charge.

Lowflyer 11-14-2014 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jctevere (Post 6230097)
AZN Optics are great. He actually was a W204 (C-Class) owner that found a supplier for top quality LED that would'nt throw error codes or burn out quickly on our cars.

Demand was so high that he was able to build a small business from it. The rears require error cancelors for the backup, but the fronts don't. Although, you will get hyper flash on the fronts unless they have resistors. I think AZN Optics also has special ones for the front because they typically "voltage leak" which could cause them to sometimes remain on since it's not a "monitored" light.

I used them on my C-Class and they are great products. I have the 36MM festoon bulbs for the license plate on my CLK and they are bright as heck (but a bit of a tight squeeze).

I def recommend them. The one time I've had an issue he just sent me out new ones free of charge.

Good lookin out sharing these guys! Price wise, all the products I'm familiar with, AZN has been cheaper.
Kinda hard to tell quality by pictures of course but judging by the description and pics, they seem to be of higher quality. I'm really impressed by the warranty in regards to thier hassle free procedure in the event you had to use it.
I ordered some of thier 1156A LED's and accompanying resistors since they will be replacing the blinkers in the front.
I'll defenitly report back for those who would like a little assurance before buying.

NewShockerGuy 11-14-2014 04:06 PM

Got all the interior LEDS from ijdmtoys and they are nice. I am able to get the superbrightleds 1156 bulbs to work in the front turn signals with zero issues and no hyper flash but damn anything in the taillights OTHER than normal bulbs just throw errors and then flash ever 5 seconds... really annoying :-(

I don't want to mount external resistors either as it's more to mount and I'd need 5 per taillight which is too many...lol

Arg, :-( Silly canbus!

-Nigel

Sherlock88 11-24-2014 12:30 AM

Did you ever find a solution? I have a similar problem, I have all LEDs from azn optics, they all work great except the passenger side reverse light. �� frustrating indeed.

NewShockerGuy 11-25-2014 12:27 PM

Not yet :-(

I'm going to order the ones off above from Ebay and give them a try... honestly though I don't think I will find anything that works, it's kind of annoying...lol Got a daily driver 01' ranger that has no technology in it at all has no normal bulbs other than HID projectors, everything else is an LED and it hasn't given me a problem yet... this car seems a little finicky though...arg!

-Nigel

Lowflyer 11-26-2014 03:12 PM

Yes, "Finicky" is perfectly put! I don't understand why one person can throw a led blinker up front with no problems, but on mine, I can't even get it to light up (yes, tried resistor and all). I'll leave it at that for now, I don't want to work me all up, again!

For the rear, I was able to at least get light out of it without errors, but hyper flashing. What gives?!?.....As I've said before, I'm so close to blowing the whole damn car up......

Sherlock88 11-26-2014 07:29 PM

Just to throw this out there, I tried using bulb grease on all the bulbs to ensure a better connection. The reverse bulbs still don't light up. Happy thanksgiving.

omega48er 11-27-2014 07:29 PM

the ones i have never gave me an issue.

Sherlock88 11-28-2014 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by omega48er (Post 6245236)
the ones i have never gave me an issue.

Which ones do you have? The only ones that give me an issue is reverse lights. They just don't light up. No error codes, no lamp out messages. Just won't light up. :confused:

GezaBMX 01-03-2015 08:56 AM

Hi everybody,

I have spent quite some time reading about LED lights and it seems the more I read the more confused I seem to get.
I drive a 2003 CLK240. Can somebody please tell me what LED's can I use (what size, what type, what ...)
Sorry but I really don't understand at this point which type of LED can be used where.

I would like to change as many bulbs to LED's as possible but I don't know exactly which one would fit/work...
I'm mostly interested in changing the exterior lights.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

KyHusker 01-03-2015 12:45 PM

I used Idjmtoy blue LEDs under my doors and they look great. Had them in for four years without a problem. Got license plate lights from them and they only last a bit over a year. Worth it for the look though.

Sherlock88 01-03-2015 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by GezaBMX (Post 6281665)
Hi everybody,

I have spent quite some time reading about LED lights and it seems the more I read the more confused I seem to get.
I drive a 2003 CLK240. Can somebody please tell me what LED's can I use (what size, what type, what ...)
Sorry but I really don't understand at this point which type of LED can be used where.

I would like to change as many bulbs to LED's as possible but I don't know exactly which one would fit/work...
I'm mostly interested in changing the exterior lights.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

I got mine from AZNOPTICS and they look and work great. I did all interior and exterior lights on my w220 01 S600. I'm obsessed with good lighting and LED's. I even changed all the bulbs in my house into LED's.

GezaBMX 01-04-2015 07:21 AM

Thank you Sherlock, I have read that they are pretty good quality items. Will have to send them a mail to ask about shipping costs since I live in Bulgaria.

Sherlock88 01-09-2015 12:45 AM

Just to let everyone know, I have solved the LED reverse light issue. I found a guy selling some on ebay, so I ordered them and they work great. Both sides light up, no flashing and no problems. Looks great and I'm very happy. As for the Rest of the bulbs, I recommend AZNOPTICS. But for the reverse lights I would go with the ebay guy. Let me know if you want I can post the link to the exact ones I got.

KyHusker 01-09-2015 06:58 AM

Please share the link.
Thanks

Sherlock88 01-09-2015 09:12 AM

The seller is 4tech-era the bulbs are $25 shipped. he is in China but the shipping is very fast.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-White-Error-Free-1156-7506-P21W-3528-Samsung-LED-Reverse-Back-up-Light-Bulbs-/161394462108?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2593dc0d9c&vxp=mtr