CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W209 Cabriolet Rear Side Window/Regulator Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet
W209 Cabriolet Rear Side Window/Regulator Removal

I am having an issue with the rear passenger window similar to what have been brought up in other posts. There was a bang, a pop and some grinding noise and my window was stuck in the down position. Although the instructions have been posted for the coupe, I could not find ones for the cabriolet. I have been able to remove the back seats and side panel, and even have gotten the window out, but I am stuck trying to get the regulator out. Can anyone provide the instructions on removing and replacing the rear regulator for a W209.4. Would also appreciate the instructions for removing/re-installing the window itself. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
rharkey (03-26-2021)
Old 11-03-2014, 11:23 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
See if this helps:

http://benzbits.com/w209/RemoveSideWindowRegulator.pdf
Old 11-04-2014, 01:19 AM

2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet
Thanks so much Rudeney. This is what I was looking for. Thought I was further along Any chance you could also post the instructions for removing the seat belt extender (AR91.45-P-1000Q), rear side window glass (AR67.30-P-4000QA) and rear passenger compartment side trim panel (AR68.30-P-4780QA)? Again, your help is very much appreciated.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:35 AM

2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet
I have found the WIS for the glass removal and no longer need the seat belt extender, but on the trim removal, I am not sure if they are referring to the outside trim or the rubber piece on the inside. If it is the outside trim, I haven't been able to figure out how that one comes off (if it does) so would be greatly appreciated if you could post that one. Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:45 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
No outside trim needs to be removed - just the inside panel.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 clk500 conv.
Originally Posted by Rudeney
No outside trim needs to be removed - just the inside panel.
Hi< I am having the same problem and I printed off the instructions you indicated in the thread. It says that the lower attachment bolt is through the fender behind the rear fender rub strip.
I am attempting to unclip with much difficulty as I am not sure if its the inside of the white nylon clip or the outside.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:59 PM

2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet
This was a little tricky and I am not even sure that I didn't break the clip to which I think you are referring. I used plastic wedges to create enough room to get a flathead screwdriver in and it finally popped loose. I then used the screwdriver to separate the rest of the molding going in from the side near the door jam. I can't say that I did it the correct way, but so far I have not had any problems with it staying in place. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:30 PM

2006 clk500 conv.
rear window regulator removal.

I was able to remove the clip by simply using a plastic wedge and slowly prying away from the fender.
Back to the original window removal. You must take the trim off the fender because the bottom bolt for the window is bolted through the fender. I was able to replace my window with the help of two friends and putting the top and down manually.( to help remove two bolts that must be take out with the top up) It took us 3.5hrs and is an exercise in patience, buts it done and finished.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:37 AM

2004 clk cabriolet
W209 rear passenger regulator

so I'm very new here to the forum I have w209 cabriolet can't take the regulator out for the life of me because it says lower top manually and my circle things in the trunk won't pull out so I can twist them that's the first problem then I get my leather panel off and there is another metal top panel to take off which I can't get to help me please
Old 12-30-2014, 08:49 AM

2006 clk500 conv.
This is a long process. All the following description was for a 2006 CLK500 Conv..
Start by removing the leather panel. (there is a torx screw under the SRS badge, the rest of the panel pops off). Unbolt the seatbelt anchor so that you can remove the seat belt from it. Manually pull out the seatbelt retractor/extender. It will pull right out completely and feed the seatbelt through it.
The larger leather panel must now be removed. You must take out the rear seat bottoms and the center console. Behind the seat bottoms are bracket that must be removed so you can slip the seat back up and out of the way. There are two screws to the side panel that are behind the rear seat back.
After you have taken that panel off unhook the power to the seatbelt retractor/extender and remove it by removing the two screws and the bolt in the seatbelt bracket. Pull up the rocker panel cover at the back and pull out the rubber weather strip from the door casing. You will also have to remove the small metal plate held by two philips screws in the door casing so the last of the weather strip can be taken off. After all the screws are removed the larger panel can be pulled out at the bottom and lifted upwards as it is clipped in a channel along the top. You will see a large metal panel that must be removed.
At this point it is prudent to put the roof down and unhook the ground wire to the battery because the next step is to remove the side airbag. I believe there is a capacitor in the bag which will hold a residual charge for a short time so give it a few minutes before removing.
There is a lateral support bar with 4 bolts holding it that must be removed. Then there are if my memory serves me 12 bolts of varying sizes holding the large black panel on. Most are visible from the rear passenger cabin, but three are in the well where the top rests when down. Two of these are visible after you pull away the carpen from the side, but one is concealed father in and must be found by feel. The panel will not budge until all the bolts are removed so if its not moving you haven't got them all.
Once this panel it removed you are almost there. There are three bolts that hold the window on to the regulator body. The window must be up to get to all three and remove the window. Now you have three bolts that hold the regulator in place. Two are readily assessable from in side, the third however is behind the trim on the outside panel in front of the wheel. Try to use something plastic to pop off this trim. Be very careful and do it slowly as you do not want to warp this piece or break the plastic clips if at all possible. (The clips are $3.00 each and the trim is over $150.00 before painting.) Once the trim is off you can see the nut to the third bolt easily.
The regulator panel should now come up through the opening with some twisting and turning.
Reverse to install.
Don't for get to adjust the window height before you put on the last leather panel. You can reach three rubber plugs that will be access holes to the window adjustment bolts.
Good luck..
This is not for the faint of heart
Old 12-30-2014, 09:17 AM

2004 clk cabriolet
innkeeperfred you are the man thank you .you described it so perfectly it was like looking at a wis.now I know how to get to the three bolts holding the metal panel.however I still have an issue that works in conjunction with taking those three bolts out for the regulator and it's that my soft top on my w209 will not drop manually.ive followed every step and the step that isn't working for me is when I get to the cover case cylinder knobs in the trunk one on the left and right to pull the knobs they are not allowing me to pull them it's like they are stuck closed what to do please help
Old 12-30-2014, 11:36 AM

2006 clk500 conv.
There are differences between the 2004 and the 2006. I'm not sure what knobs you are referring to.
I did not put my top down totally. I lifted the roof under power until the deck rear of the seats was lifted up and the rear part of the roof was out of the way.(it allows easy access to the area) You can do this with the power to the roof, just remember to unhook the ground when ever working with the airbag.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:48 AM

2004 clk cabriolet
Ok so the aluminum knobs are located on the case cover lift cylinders in the trunk of my 2004 clk cabriolet one is on the left by the hydraulic container and there is another one on the other side of the trunk .they both have what looks like circular silver button knobs that I'm to pull out and turn counter clockwise before I start to close the trunk and tug on the two straps on the outside of the car that I connected.those knobs are the ones that aren't pulling out at all.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:06 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
See if this helps:

benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/ManualClose.wmv

It's for an A207, but it's exactly the same as the W209.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:25 PM

2004 clk cabriolet
Ok so you see how in the video after he releases pressure from the tank in the trunk and then pulls the circular knobs and turns it counter clock wise on the right side of the trunk and then does it on the left side of the trunk?those knobs are what I'm talking about on my car that won't let me pull them out to turn them counter clock wise it's like theory are stuck closed and I don't know what's wrong
Old 01-01-2015, 08:44 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
The knobs are probably just stuck. The first time I pulled mine (to practice the manual close), they were pretty tight.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 AM

2004 clk cabriolet
you are the man thank you ...you were absolutely right...a little elbow grease and those things pulled out.now i have my top down manually...you know through all the frustration of diy guides and stuff had me ready to go to the dealer so they can do it and get it over with but now i see the light at the end of the tunnel thanks to you rodney and the others that help me on this blog thanks...but im sure i will be on here again real soon
Old 01-02-2015, 11:26 AM

2004 clk cabriolet
so here i am again...i put the window regulator in and the window is only going up half way why is that...and is there a way i can adjust it if not can i just swap out motors only
Old 01-02-2015, 10:04 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Pull the fuse for a few minutes to reset the "door" controller and the re-sync the glass by running it halfway down, then fully up, holding the switch for a few extra seconds. Fuse #32 for left, #33 for right (both are on the cabin panel, end of the dash, behind the steering wheel).
Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 PM

2004 clk cabriolet
Ok so here what happened I found out my battery was dying so I got it recharged and wallah it goes all the way up....now it's time to tackle the roof does anyone know what fuses to check for ..I already checked the lines and there are no leaks and my hydraulic fluid bottle is full so it's electrical and I don't know where to start
Old 01-03-2015, 07:47 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
So the soft top is not working at all? There is no fuse, but the pump does have two relays on it that can fail.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:51 PM

2004 clk cabriolet
Ok so put in a new battery and the top is working except for the back glass isn't lifting up on its own .everything else works when I hit the roof switch but when the roof is supposed to open the the back glass isn't lifting .dont know what that could be from
Old 01-03-2015, 07:54 PM

2004 clk cabriolet
I'm talking about the rear Glass that's attached to the roof it's supposed to go up and the hatch lifts up and then the top goes in the trunk well the rear glass isn't lifting but it will drop when I'm opening the roof
Old 01-03-2015, 07:56 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
It could be a bad microswitch. I suspect it may be the switch(es) on the cover. They are located behind the headrests.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:58 PM

2004 clk cabriolet
How would I test them to see

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W209 Cabriolet Rear Side Window/Regulator Removal