MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W209) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209-43/)
-   -   Check Engine Light (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/572339-check-engine-light.html)

fishndude 01-25-2015 01:41 PM

Check Engine Light

I changed the air filters last week and evidently didn't seat the large cover (air cleaner housing) properly. I beleived this caused my check engine light to come on, based on reading the forums. I noticed my engine was shuttering a bit a stop idle. I seated the cover properly yesterday, the car is back to a smooth idle and my check engine light is still on. Will this go eventually go off on its own or do I somehow have to reset it? I do not own a device to check the engine codes. Is this the only way other than going into a shop to have them turn off the service engine light?

Yidney 01-25-2015 04:10 PM

Wait few days and several restarts. It will probably go out.

Yidney 01-25-2015 04:12 PM

But to answer you other question, if it does not go out there is no other way than to go someplace that has the tool to turn it off or borrow one. They are handy to have and don't cost much.

fishndude 01-26-2015 10:19 AM

Thanks. I will keep my eye on it for the next couple of days to see if it goes out on its own. I saw in some threads there is a device on Amazon that sells for around $20 that will show check engine codes, that attaches to a cell phone via Blue Tooth. May I assume this device will allow me to reset, if necessary?

xsever 01-26-2015 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by fishndude (Post 6308432)
Thanks. I will keep my eye on it for the next couple of days to see if it goes out on its own. I saw in some threads there is a device on Amazon that sells for around $20 that will show check engine codes, that attaches to a cell phone via Blue Tooth. May I assume this device will allow me to reset, if necessary?

Yes it will. I bought one from eBay which connects to my android smartphone via a paid app called Torque. It allows full code readings as well as resetting and live data monitoring.

DanielFD 01-27-2015 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by fishndude (Post 6308432)

if you have an iPhone you're going to be needing one that specifically connects to iPhone over integrated wifi. Like xsever said they work fine:y

fishndude 01-27-2015 05:59 PM

This is the one I saw on Amazon and I think has been mentioned in some threads.

I do have a Sumsung Galaxy 5 phone and not an iPhone. I will go ahead and buy this one unless someone tells me there is something better or this one doesn't work. Thanks.