MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W209) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209-43/)
-   -   CLK320 Buying Advice (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/583720-clk320-buying-advice.html)

w140_newb 04-27-2015 09:08 AM

CLK320 Buying Advice

Morning all, new to the forum so if I'm in the wrong place please advise.

I've currently got my eye on a 2005 CLK320 with 90,000 miles. The price is right but this will be my first Merc and wanted any advice regarding common issues or pitfalls to look out for? This is not going to be a daily driver, more of a project/gift for my daughter and I to work on. I've owned a number of Land rovers over the past 15 years so I'm no stranger to finicky autos and not averse to digging in and getting my hands dirty to fix or restore. I just don't want to get it home to find out all '05 3.2 liter engines have an issue with cylinder wall linings failing at 95,000 miles or water gathers in the chasis and rots away the rear end after 10 years or something like that?

Any advice on what to look out for or personal experience with this year & model are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

abqhudson 04-27-2015 10:23 AM

Based on you post, I don't think you will have any insurmountable problems. Basically a proven engine - valve cover gaskets may be leaking, my experience is that the transmission mount probably needs to be replaced, maybe shocks and struts, maybe engine mounts, and brakes are easy. My guess is that you will like it. Good luck.

w140_newb 04-27-2015 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by abqhudson (Post 6413964)
Based on you post, I don't think you will have any insurmountable problems. Basically a proven engine - valve cover gaskets may be leaking, my experience is that the transmission mount probably needs to be replaced, maybe shocks and struts, maybe engine mounts, and brakes are easy. My guess is that you will like it. Good luck.

Thanks for the info!

DRACO 04-27-2015 07:21 PM

I would also add control arm bushings.

Put her on a lift and inspect the center plastic panel for leaks at the oil level sensor and rear main seal. Mine just started to leak at 80K

I just replaced struts and shocks and a broken sway bar linkage. +1 I also noticed valve cover weeping.

xsever 04-28-2015 01:30 AM

The 2005 CLK 320s, which I happen to own, are proven to be the "bullet-proof" model. That is because they have the M112 320 engine and the 722.6 5-speed transmission.

Since you are a good DIY-person, nothing should prove hard for you to fix, but check for these:

- Make sure the radiator installed is a BEHR and not a Valeo. Valeo radiators can cause coolant to leak into the transmission fluid and that can turn pricey if not caught and corrected quickly. Search this forum to find the picture that shows the visual difference between a Valeo and a BEHR.

- Change the transmission fluid if it was not changed lately. It is advised to do a transmission fluid change every 60,000km.

- Make sure you only use MB-Approved fluids: Spec 229.5 for engine oil and Spec 236.14 for ATF.

- Suspension components should also be inspected at 90,000 miles: upper and lower control arms and their bushings, front stabilizer/sway bar bushings, and rear sway bar bushings.

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions :)

DRACO 04-28-2015 06:32 PM

+1 on radiator, PO after an accident allowed insurance company to place a Valeo, it leaked. Swapped with Behr all good now.

Rudeney 04-28-2015 10:39 PM

Yep - M112 engine + 722.6 5-speed auto transmission = solid combination for the long run.

dmauch 07-12-2019 04:51 PM

How can you tell if it is aBEHR or a Valeo?
Dan

Originally Posted by xsever (Post 6414924)
The 2005 CLK 320s, which I happen to own, are proven to be the "bullet-proof" model. That is because they have the M112 320 engine and the 722.6 5-speed transmission.

Since you are a good DIY-person, nothing should prove hard for you to fix, but check for these:

- Make sure the radiator installed is a BEHR and not a Valeo. Valeo radiators can cause coolant to leak into the transmission fluid and that can turn pricey if not caught and corrected quickly. Search this forum to find the picture that shows the visual difference between a Valeo and a BEHR.

- Change the transmission fluid if it was not changed lately. It is advised to do a transmission fluid change every 60,000km.

- Make sure you only use MB-Approved fluids: Spec 229.5 for engine oil and Spec 236.14 for ATF.

- Suspension components should also be inspected at 90,000 miles: upper and lower control arms and their bushings, front stabilizer/sway bar bushings, and rear sway bar bushings.

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions :)

dzmitry 07-12-2019 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by dmauch (Post 7801693)
How can you tell if it is aBEHR or a Valeo?
Dan

https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/i...4/#post-231842

Rudeney 07-12-2019 10:37 PM

You have to join that forum to see the photos. I also have copies of them here:

http://benzbits.com/ValeoRadiator/list.php

C280 Sport 07-13-2019 04:53 PM

Find a later year model. You will not have to worry about the early issues. Plus a face lifted model feels much better.