CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Removing Cig adaptor out of ashtray?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 01:30 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow Removing Cig adaptor out of ashtray?

So after removing the stereo from our car I realized that the cig adaptor ring doesn't illuminate... I removed the ashtray but for the life of me I can no figure out how to remove the actual cig socket.... It looks like it pushed out however the way the internal shape is just doesn't seem like it will fit through the opening of the round hole because of how it is shaped internally...

anyone have a how to or directions on how to change the bulb. I can imagine it's quite simple if I could remove the adaptor but I can't.

Not taking it to the dealer becaus I can only image them charging $300+ to change a 50 cent bulb...

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 11-03-2015, 03:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ray-light.html

yes its extremely weird, you cant actually remove the socket alone, take a good look at the ashtray you'll notice plastic tabs that hold the middle piece of plastic (which holds the socket itself). that whole piece comes out and its a pain to install but patience and flathead screw driver is all that is needed. you just disengage those tabs and it comes apart! read the thread i posted. bulb wasn't' burnt just the contacts were corroded, i used conductive grease and it worked fine!
Old 11-03-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Sweet I got it out!

Had to remove the top cover, little ashtray box and then the entire cig portion including the plastic. Once that was removed I was able to unclick the little plastic adaptor that held in the little 74 bulb. I modified the little holder and cut away a the shield that was for some reason covering the bulb... The little shield masked a lot of the bulb light around the cig adaptor ring and also the ash tray... stupid MB... If I had an LED I would have swapped it for that but for now this works, I have about ten 74 bulbs so if it goes out again it will be easy to replace.

Plus note too, my lid never opened all the way and would get stuck half way.. now it opens completely without help.

NICE!

-Nigel