MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CLK-Class (W209) (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209-43/)
-   -   Free horsepower & torque (https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/621601-free-horsepower-torque.html)

breastroker 04-09-2016 11:49 AM

Free horsepower & torque

3 Attachment(s)
I have been a hot rodder since before most of you being born. Simpler then, if you had a Holley 750 double pumper you needed an air cleaner that flowed more than 750 CFM.

So researched the easiest ways to get more torque and HP from my CLK 350. Yeh I know it will never put out 400HP and I don't care if it won't run the quarter mile in 12.2 seconds.

But I do know even 15 more HP and 20 lb/ft torque will make the car more fun to drive without hurting emisions or gas mileage.

I have used K&N air filters for over 40 years, and have used them on 12 MBs. You just have to know how much filter oil to use and no more.

First thing is MB used the same air box and filters for both their 350 and 500 engines.
Assuming 100% volumetric efficiency (which you’ll never see), at 6000 RPM a CLK55 can ingest 581 CFM. At the same VE and the same RPM a CLK320 would ingest 339 CFM. The dual filters for a 2004 CLK320 are the exact same part number as those for a 2004 CLK55. If the air filtering system on a CLK320 is a bottleneck, the CLK55 should fall right on it’s face in the upper rev range Words of wisdom there.

Keeping my 2006 350 airbox because I found a CLK 350 air box with 2 K&N filters on eBay for a little more than the cost of the filters, a no brainer.

Going to put the insulation tape on the underside of the airbox and will remove the obstructions others here have done. Have to make sure the two cold air tubes are not restrictive and the same size.

Of course there won't be a really nice torque improvement with out a better exhaust system, probably going to use CLK 550 exhaust pipes

Yidney 04-09-2016 12:40 PM

What is the purpose of the insulation tape? To insulate the box from the engine heat so the intake air stays cooler?

gixxerboy 04-09-2016 01:06 PM

to be honest your really not going to notice much of a difference. I have a 550, i changed to K&n, removed the stock intake tubes and have dual 3 inch pipes going on into the front of the radiator and couldn't tell a difference from stock.

some swap to the e55 airbox and notice a little better throttle response.

I'm going to scrap the airbox all together and do a custom intake set up, and im not hoping for allot out of that,

also the insulation really isnt needed. The air moves at such a speed it really doesnt have time to warm. We installed a temp gauge at the base right before the throttle body on an s55. and the intake air temp was just slightly warmer than the ambient air.

breastroker 04-09-2016 02:43 PM

Just looking for a little bit, not expecting a huge increase. Just a little more drive ability. The insulation is to reduce heat soak during stop and go city driving. Plus in Lost Wages our air can be 115 degrees and above the asphalt 180 degrees.

Biggest changes will be AMG or Eibach sway bars and C32 front brakes like my C230K coupe.
18" wheels and tires coming soon.

I have never had a stock Mercedes for long.

jirro22 07-12-2019 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by gixxerboy (Post 6766190)
to be honest your really not going to notice much of a difference. I have a 550, i changed to K&n, removed the stock intake tubes and have dual 3 inch pipes going on into the front of the radiator and couldn't tell a difference from stock.

some swap to the e55 airbox and notice a little better throttle response.

I'm going to scrap the airbox all together and do a custom intake set up, and im not hoping for allot out of that,

also the insulation really isnt needed. The air moves at such a speed it really doesnt have time to warm. We installed a temp gauge at the base right before the throttle body on an s55. and the intake air temp was just slightly warmer than the ambient air.

I just want to confirm the e55 airbox amg will work for the clk 550 ( sorry I have my clk 550 2 days ago) looking for mods, I just did a diy for a few maintenance already today. thank you for responding