CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

What did you do with your CLK today?

Old 12-30-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2009 CLK 350
What did you do with your CLK today?

Dug it out of the snow!

Old 12-30-2016, 08:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK500 Convertible
Originally Posted by Anker
Dug it out of the snow!

That is priceless!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2016, 05:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CLK W209
Hahaha I think I'd have just left it there! I'd not know how far down to go with the shovel?

Wish I got snow like that, let alone a single flake so far...
Old 12-31-2016, 07:27 AM

Given that w209 isn't great in snow, I wouldn't even bother to dig...
Old 12-31-2016, 08:34 AM

CLK W209
Originally Posted by merceBENZ
Haha I guess it depends on what your idea of snow is. With winters on it'd probably be fine with a bit of care.
But over here, the most snow mine saw this year was back January. I had driven to the university library; get a long session in before my medicine exams, and when I left at 3am to my surprise there was about 3" of snow on the ground. With summer tyres, and careful driving she was fine in it. No other cars on the road however, so I was only driving mostly on the fresh stuff.

The only time I got stuck was when I put it into dyno mode on the secret menu (all electronics completely off) at 4am on a nice big empty sweeping bend with no curb stones, to have a little slow speed fun. albeit 3" isn't a great deal, but it's sufficient to lose contact between the Tarmac and the tyres.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:10 PM

270 cdi w209
Was an LSD ever an option with the clk?
Old 12-31-2016, 12:24 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by merceBENZ
We rarely get snow here, but when it does happen, we have no clearing equipment and lots of hills, so we shut down the city. A few years back, we had such a freak storm hit just before noon on a workday. It was a disaster with people all leaving their offices at the same time to get their children from school. Roads were jammed with crashes on the icy streets.

I had just put new Michelin AS3s on the CLK550 and I tried to head home, too. I avoided the highway as I could see from my office that it was jammed. I figured I'd try to make the 10-mile trek via secondary roads, but there were a few hills to worry about, the worst one being a very high, long hill at the back of the office park. When I got to the base of it, there were already two cars crashed halfway up, blocking the road.

I walked up with another guy to help them get off the hill so we could try. The guy who caused the accident was an idiot. He was driving a rental Dodge Charger and we kept telling him to keep the wheel straight and follow our instructions to gently feather the brake pedal so we could back him down. He kept turning the wheel and jamming the brake pedal. We finally got him down after a dozen careens off the curbs.

The other guy suggest I go first, so I did. With the transmission locked in 2nd gear ("C" mode and TouchShift tapped once left so "2' on the MFD) I easily made it up and down the hill - no slipping, no drama up or down. When I got to the secondary road, It was all jammed up. One of its hills was a drop and curve to the left, and it looked like a junkyard with cars littered at the bottom. I turned around and went back to the office, again, up and over the big hill with no issues. I was pleasantly surprised at how well using 2nd gear had the CLK navigating very slippery roads. I think the only other car that successfully made it over that hill was a co-worker in a Jeep Wrangler.

I ended up spending the night in my office and getting out the next morning. The cars in the curve were cleared enough for one car at a time to pass, and volunteers were helping direct traffic (and keep that lane clear when every 3rd car would crash again). It took me well over an hour to go that 10 miles home, but I made it unscathed.

I think the weigh on the rear wheels of the cabriolet, plus good new all-season tires, ESP and going very slow made it all work. Of course I'd rather be in a 4MATIC ML, but the CLK is not as bad in snow as its reputation.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:30 PM

2009 CLK 350
That's heartwarming news to me, Rodney. The CLK is my daily driver and even though I am retired and can avoid really bad snow conditions, I occasionally do have to drive in slippery conditions.

I had a 86 Firebird and it had real trouble on hills in snow, but I managed.

The worst ever was a rental 5L Mustang that I parked in a spot that had low ice barriers around it because a car was pared there when it snowed. Even though the barriers were less than 1" high the Mustang just couldn't get over them. I finally had a woman give me a push while I handled the wheel and the small amount of force she was able to apply was enough to get me out.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:45 PM

Rudeney,
That is one hell of the story! Thank you for sharing it! Having snow once in a blue moon, I can't justify winter tires and you experience proves that it can be safely driven in all seasons. Thank you!
Old 12-31-2016, 01:32 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Even though we rarely get snow here, I used to travel a lot of work and often ended up in lots of snow, so I've had plenty of practice. People laud the benefits of FWD cars for traction, but that's only because they have the weight of the engine over the drive wheels which does aid in traction with an otherwise light vehicle. Since the W209 cabriolet tops out at over 2 tons with me in the driver's seat, and almost 50% on the rear, it probably has more weight over the drive wheels than the typical FWD sedan or crossover. The real problem with FWD is that the front wheels drive AND steer. Steering causes a loss of traction, so that's not a good thing. Of course a good AWD system and winter tires are the best combination, but I'd take a RWD MBZ with comfort or winter mode and its excellent ESP over a FWD economy car any day for winter driving.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:39 PM

CLK W209
Originally Posted by Reanimation
Was an LSD ever an option with the clk?
I tried to have a look for the answer to this. The only semi-conclusion was that if any did, it were only the AMG cars.

I do have a more interesting question though, does the CLK have an electronic differential? To attempt to simulate a LSD.

I had read that some Benzes may have an e-diff when the ESP is off, so purposely put the one rear wheel on Tarmac, and the other on mud, and it span the muddy wheel both with ESP on and off.

Quite a shame when you consider e-diffs can be quite effective, yet not need cost much, just by utilising the existing ABS sensors and the brakes.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 CLK 350
whats in the garage..?

?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:34 PM

2009 CLK 350
Originally Posted by daking1959
?
A little complicated.

The picture is taken at our second home, a farm in central Maine. In the right side of the garage we keep an antique Dodge Luxury Liner from 1941. It has under 30,000 miles on the odometer and is 100% original.

On the left side of the garage is all kinds of stuff, including lawn mowers, fire wood, and so on.

At our home in Stow, Massachusetts we have a two car garage. On the left side is our 2004 Porsche Boxster S. It is hibernating.

On the right side is my wife's Prius C. In the interest of matrimonial harmony I won't even suggest that the CLK should live there.

In inclement weather the CLK goes into a tent garage, otherwise the poor thing lives in the driveway.

Anker
Old 01-02-2017, 10:36 AM

270 cdi w209
Originally Posted by sailorben
I tried to have a look for the answer to this. The only semi-conclusion was that if any did, it were only the AMG cars.

I do have a more interesting question though, does the CLK have an electronic differential? To attempt to simulate a LSD.

I had read that some Benzes may have an e-diff when the ESP is off, so purposely put the one rear wheel on Tarmac, and the other on mud, and it span the muddy wheel both with ESP on and off.

Quite a shame when you consider e-diffs can be quite effective, yet not need cost much, just by utilising the existing ABS sensors and the brakes.
Weld the diff.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:36 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by sailorben

In practice, ESP emulates an LSD. It is able to stop one drive wheel from free-spinning while the other operates at proper rotational speed. In fact, if both wheels are on slippery surfaces, it slowly pulses them both equally to help gains some traction. The downfall is that it's much more slow to react than mechanical (even electronic locking) systems.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 C300 4 Matic
Finished my once per year polish and paint coating - "Polish Angel" Coating on my CLK 550 Convertible.

Black = Full Time Job.

Took me three days and about 18 hours. I'm old - so, not very fast.

Car looks great- ready for another year.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:01 PM

2009 CLK 350
Delighted that you added to the thread. My favorite threads on 986Forum.com are "What did you do with you Boxster today" and "What did you find on CL today". The first one interesting and full of pictures, the other entertaining.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
I got a speeding ticket.
Gotta love *hate* the California Highway Patrol!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:00 PM

How fast did you go above SL?
Old 01-03-2017, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
18 over.

I was coasting and I saw the cop when it was too late.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:33 PM

2009 CLK 350
Ouch, that's expensive.

Do you Left Coasters also get hit with insurance surcharges? A lot ,ore money than just the fines.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:39 PM

What is allowance in CA?
Old 01-03-2017, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Originally Posted by Anker
Ouch, that's expensive.

Do you Left Coasters also get hit with insurance surcharges? A lot ,ore money than just the fines.
Yeah, I believe our insurance rates go up for about 3-5 years. Driving in CA really sucks, ESPECIALLY for driving enthusiasts. Just a small tap of the gas to hear the glorious exhaust and you're flagged. I really do not like it. I've been driving here for 4+ years and it's my first speeding ticket.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:00 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
IANAL, but my advice - fight the ticket. I get ticketed at least once a year on average, and have not paid a fine in over 15 years. I fight them all and win. Often the cop doesn't show and they throw it out. Or, if he does and I lose (which you ALWAYS lose!) I then file an appeal to a higher court, and then get over a years worth of continuances, then get the claim dropped because "real" courts have better things to do that deal with civil traffic infractions. Maybe you have a friend who is a lawyer who can help, or if not, find a book online that steps you through the process. Also, it helps to make a few "practice" visits to the court ahead of time to see how things work.
The following users liked this post:
chewtoy (06-20-2019)
Old 01-03-2017, 11:19 PM

Or.. invest in good antiradar. Laser jammers and stuff..

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your CLK today?